FTX Mode desktop icon

Aceshigh

Hello, not sure if this has been asked before..    :)

The FTX mode icon on the desktop is always green, is there anyway of making it show on the desktop as green when in "On" mode and show as a red icon when in "off" mode.  This way one could see what mode FTX is in at a simple glance from the desktop. 

A animated Icon or gif ? 

just a thought...

thanks.

Mark  (Aceshigh)

Yeah I was under the impression that when clicking that thing it too would change colour on your desktop and sure would make life easier if it did that. The amount of times I have loaded up FSX and started flying to find out the terrain looks like crap then realise FTX is deactivated.

Actually, that was how the icon functioned during the AU BLUE beta.

However about half the testers moved the icon away from their desktop to another location, and this broke the colour changing code because the app no longer knew where the shortcut icon lived. So in the interest of avoiding support issues we removed the colour changing code altogether.

I wrote the original code in VBScript, and it's pretty easy to do it, but I am relunctant to release it because it may lead to more drama than it's worth if customers move their FTX Mode Icon off the desktop.

Could it be made as an option ?    let the user choose.

I see your point but there must be a solution that keeps both camps happy?   lol

..  I mean its not the end of the world if I dont see the color change on the desktop icon but it would be a nice feature for those who do leave it on the desktop.  :)

Mark

Ok welcome to beta testing..  ;D ;D

I just wrote this app quickly and it seems to work fine. Let me know if it works for you. Have not tested under Vista (you may need to run as Administrator).

INSTALLATION

1. Run the FTXMODE_ICON_COLOR_SWAPPER_V100.EXE installer

2. After installation, the FTX Mode icon will change to blue to indicate the new application has been installed and is ready for testing

3. Click on the blue FTX Mode Icon to call the applet and press [Cancel] when the "real" FTX Mode application appears

4. The FTX Mode icon will then change to reflect the current status, either green for ON or red for OFF

5. From that time onwards, each FTX Mode status change will be shown in the icon color

Enjoy!

http://fullterrain.com/freebies/FTXMODE_ICON_COLOR_SWAPPER_V100.zip

Thankyou, working like a charm.  Now I can see if I have forgot to turn the mode "on" or off" as needed.

I leave my FTX and FSX icons on the desktop so this really is very good for my situation.    ( XP user. )

Hope it works for the Vista users. 

Thanks again.

Really appreciate the great service you have for your products.     ;D

Another quick response by Orbx to its customer base...tremendous!!

Thanks John, always going the "extra" mile- sure means a lot---

I know I speak for everyone in saying how much we all appreciate what you

and your staff have accomplished, in bringing forth and standing behind such

an outstanding product...We fully support you and will continue to do so!

Long live FTX!!!  :)

Have just installed AUGOLD, fantastic job.  However I notice that my FTX Mode desktop icon, does not change colour when on or off. It was working Ok before the new installation.  I am running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.

Any ideas why?

Thanks in advance

Stian is correct - we don't use the color changing VBScript version for default installations, since in our experience many customers will move their FTX Mode icon off the desktop, which will "break" the color change script.

Simply re-run the color swap application installer again and you will be all set :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing up this post again, but after installing AUGOLD, the desktop icon doesn't change it's colour (blue/red) anymore. Can I install the swapper again or might there occur a problem.

Otto

Yeah I had that issue when I first installed gold.  Just run the mode swticher installer thingy program again and all will be fine.  It will go blue though first as it is supposed to do, Just cycle the mode to something and you will have it all working.

I had reason to reinstall FS-X. When I uninstalled FTX AU Blue and Gold all I got was that I uninstalled FTX mode button in both cases. FTX Blue and Gold  could not be uninstalled, at least not from 'Programs and Features' of VISTA.

Any Clues?

Archived