Quick tip regarding Pilot Plus Bristol International

I had a minor issue starting up Orbx partner's Pilot Plus Bristol International in that as soon as I clicked the "Fly" button, 

my MS2020 would lock and could only be closed through the task manager.

Jack at Pilot Plus was very helpful and the issue was simply a setting I was using in UserCfg.opt

I had my objects set at LOD 2, but my terrain at LOD 5. Changing terrain to LOD 2 and all was good.

Hope this may be of help if you encounter this issue

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi Pete - long time no hear (sorreee)!

I'm having the same problems - and will try your workaround. Do they both have to be 2.000 or is it that they just need to be same same? Mine are currently both 3.000.

Looks like I'll have to forego the eye-candy and drop back to 2 ...

.. watch this space!

UPDATE:

Before messing with my LODs, I tried the standard fix (which I'd forgotten to do) - as mentioned by Nick:

All working on 3.0 now - and v-e-r-y nice it is too :-)

8 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Hi Pete - long time no hear (sorreee)!

I'm having the same problems - and will try your workaround. Do they both have to be 2.000 or is it that they just need to be same same? Mine are currently both 3.000.

Looks like I'll have to forego the eye-candy and drop back to 2 ...

.. watch this space!

UPDATE:

Before messing with my LODs, I tried the standard fix (which I'd forgotten to do) - as mentioned by Nick:

All working on 3.0 now - and v-e-r-y nice it is too :-)

Hi Adam

I have rolling cache disabled on my machine. I have tried setting LODs to 3.0  seven times now.  Six of those tests, resulted in a "lockup" when

the "Fly" button was pressed . One time  out of the seven the scenery loaded normally.

Leaving LODs set at 2.0 results in a flawless load.  I can only conclude that as both you and I found,  it can work  with a LOD setting higher

than the maximum MS2020 setting of 2.0 , but I don't feel that this is reliable advice based upon my testing. 

But I'm glad it worked for you

I had the Dev Console active , but could not find anything that was odd.  I have 64GB ram and both it and VRAM were very underutilized 

I have copied Pilot Plus @Pilot Plus on this note, as they may be able to shed some light on a possible root cause of this behavior, assuming that

the requirement to keep LOD set to a maximum of 2.0  is not propriety to their  coding for the scenery.

Cheers

Pete

On 9/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, renault said:

Hi Adam

I have rolling cache disabled on my machine. I have tried setting LODs to 3.0  seven times now.  Six of those tests, resulted in a "lockup" when

the "Fly" button was pressed . One time  out of the seven the scenery loaded normally.

Leaving LODs set at 2.0 results in a flawless load.  I can only conclude that as both you and I found,  it can work  with a LOD setting higher

than the maximum MS2020 setting of 2.0 , but I don't feel that this is reliable advice based upon my testing. 

But I'm glad it worked for you

I had the Dev Console active , but could not find anything that was odd.  I have 64GB ram and both it and VRAM were very underutilized 

I have copied Pilot Plus @Pilot Plus on this note, as they may be able to shed some light on a possible root cause of this behavior, assuming that

the requirement to keep LOD set to a maximum of 2.0  is not propriety to their  coding for the scenery.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Both,

The LOD setting seems very hit and miss and inconsistent. In office, both our machines have identical hardware - yet one can load consistently with 3.0, and the other needs to be reduced to 2.0.

Our guess currently is that this LOD factor has some impact on the 1m resolution mesh that is abundant at the airport, and perhaps why this option affects EGGD, but other airports without DEM are not as affected badly.

We are investigating potential ways in which me may be able to squeeze more out of EGGD without harming the product quality and taking in user feedback.

Purchased Bristol the other day and for whatever reason its basocally unflyable for me in VR (and even on the Monitor is pretty bad). All other purchased and premium airports have no issues. Even if I drop the settings way down the stuttering in both modes is bad but of course in VR its not a good idea.

Have deleted rolling cache, have deleted the content.xml file, have check the LOD sizes for both in the UserCfg file and they are 1.15 or lower

{Terrain
        LoDFactor 1.150000
    {ObjectsLoD
        LoDFactor 1.000000

VR

{Terrain
        LoDFactor 1.000000
    {ObjectsLoD
        LoDFactor 1.000000

The Community folder I have basically removed everything and still the same issue. Disable the addon and EGGD area works fine. Any clues as really like this Airport.

AMD 5800x

RTX 3090

32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3600

Edited by razalom

1 hour ago, razalom said:

Purchased Bristol the other day and for whatever reason its basocally unflyable for me in VR (and even on the Monitor is pretty bad). All other purchased and premium airports have no issues. Even if I drop the settings way down the stuttering in both modes is bad but of course in VR its not a good idea.

Have deleted rolling cache, have deleted the content.xml file, have check the LOD sizes for both in the UserCfg file and they are 1.15 or lower

{Terrain
        LoDFactor 1.150000
    {ObjectsLoD
        LoDFactor 1.000000

VR

{Terrain
        LoDFactor 1.000000
    {ObjectsLoD
        LoDFactor 1.000000

The Community folder I have basically removed everything and still the same issue. Disable the addon and EGGD area works fine. Any clues as really like this Airport.

AMD 5800x

RTX 3090

32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3600

Hi @razalom

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

We have just received & assigned your support ticket, one of the team will continue to assist you on the support platform.

PP

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, razalom said:

{Terrain
        LoDFactor 1.150000
    {ObjectsLoD
        LoDFactor 1.000000

VR

{Terrain
        LoDFactor 1.000000
    {ObjectsLoD
        LoDFactor 1.000000

AMD 5800x

RTX 3090

32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3600

I loaded up Bristol after reading your post and it was quite stuttery as you said in VR.

After some trial and error I realised I had Orbx Central and my browser and a couple of other things open on the desktop.  I closed everything and it was running better.

I did some more trials and I've now turned of re projection and the render scale in OpenXR Tools, and set the VR settings in MSFS to the default VR with a couple of sliders up a bit, and now Bristol is as smooth as any other airport.

Cheers

John

16 minutes ago, John Dow said:

I loaded up Bristol after reading your post and it was quite stuttery as you said in VR.

After some trial and error I realised I had Orbx Central and my browser and a couple of other things open on the desktop.  I closed everything and it was running better.

I did some more trials and I've now turned of re projection and the render scale in OpenXR Tools, and set the VR settings in MSFS to the default VR with a couple of sliders up a bit, and now Bristol is as smooth as any other airport.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the tips but sadly I pretty much do all this as per my normal process. Browsers are always closed, Orbx is closed and about the only software running is Navigraph Simlink.

My OpenXR settings are 100% render scale (have tried it off but no difference) and reprojection off and experimental version disabled as well. 

I am sure if i really want to get it smooth I could turn everything down to pretty much off or low but I dont feel its worth it for just 1 airport out of about 50 I have bought for the Sim that all work flawlessly with my system.

Again appreciate the reply though but for now I have uninstalled it.

Cheers

Barry

Edited by razalom