Performance boost with SU5?

wolfko

Since I am still on holidays on the island of Crete:D, I was not able to update to SU5 yet. Has anybody who has already updated noticed this enormous performance boost which was promised by the developers?

• Like 1

I am still doing the last little bit of the update, had a very sloooow connection overnight...I think you will probably fair better if you are updating later when all the rush has died down a bit....reading a mixed bag of reviews but more positive than negative, hopefully get a chance to try later and post here again...

• Like 2

Had a significant perf boost after SU5.
1080Ti 12gb vram, running at 4k with a mix of ultra, high and off. Seeing a roughly 20-25% increase. 

Much smoother in general, and I was able to fly the 787 out of LAX, with about 40 other players in the area... and fog. It was smooth enough that I wouldn't complain ( 25-30 )

The bad - texture draw-in is much more noticeable as well as LODs. I assume the servers are getting crushed right now and that would account for some of the noticeable pop-in. You noticed the lower res textures more at altitude, when in 3rd person. Cockpit view looks better, but the texture pop-in is pretty noticeable when you're descending.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

Just tested, my performance increase is very slight, testing at the same airport/aircraft, I'm seeing about a 3-4 FPS increase, I have everything on ultra though, time to test all my addons and see what works or need updates

I've changed my mind, I am now more happy, I have all the addon's I used before loading in without causing CTD's and the performance is better, a lot smoother and less stutter, for example, before SU5 I loaded into Orbx's EGLC with Landmarks on Ultra and it was a slideshow, loading in today with the same conditions and I have 18-22 FPS which is defiantly bearable for the area 

• Like 2

Well, for me the sim performs worse than before for me, Im now turning down settings to try and get rid of extreme stutter. Also having a lot of CTD's. Also when flying a few nautical miles the autogen dissapear, to get it back i have to press escape key, wait 30 seconds and then resume flight. And the pop'ins while subtle most of the time really is annoying around big cities where the scyscrapers just dissapear and reapear infront of my eyes when panning.. 

I didnt have any performance issues before the update, it was fluid, now its hardly playable. Thank you Asobo. 

Edited by kaboki
  • Sad 3

Okay , first flight done ;  with Mods in my community folder , no flights will load . Just get the Blue bar stuck at the end (Right) and my selected airport will not load . Emptied my Community folder and my first flight from my home airport (Priest River Muni) loaded just fine . I have my FPS locked at 30 with VSync on and it was solid 30 FPS my whole trip down the Pend Oreille River to my house and landed the stock 172 with floats right up in front of our place . The water spray was amazing and water masking looks improved along with the tree LOD also . I guess I will see what mods work and what one's won't in the Community folder .

Cheers

John

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kaboki said:

Well, for me the sim performs worse than before for me, Im now turning down settings to try and get rid of extreme stutter. Also having a lot of CTD's. Also when flying a few nautical miles the autogen dissapear, to get it back i have to press escape key, wait 30 seconds and then resume flight. And the pop'ins while subtle most of the time really is annoying around big cities where the scyscrapers just dissapear and reapear infront of my eyes when panning.. 

I didnt have any performance issues before the update, it was fluid, now its hardly playable. Thank you Asobo. 

Ok I solved my performance issue, and I do see improvements, could increase my settings a little bit... 

But the other issues remain, though i suspect the CTD's are caused by Orbx aiports, because I only get them when trying to load up an Orbx airport. The autogen issue, I have no idea whats going on.  The panning around causing scenery redraws, I can live with, though its very very noticable with night lightning... 

• Like 1

ive managed to almost double my FPS after SU5, the sim feels smooth and no judders.

Im running HDR @ 1440p ultra + custom maximum shadows, highest render except resolution that stays on 1440p

quick test earlier over NYC, to prove performance update quickly as i had some friends asking.

Before and after shots 

Before SU5:

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-21-07-2021-21

Post install of SU5:

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-28-07-2021-10

• Like 5

No noticeable performance improvement apart from at EGLC so far which previously was pretty much unflyable is now flyable. Apart from that I'm experiencing more stutters, some of the scenery at addon airports pops in at the last minute, ie cars in the car park at EGHI appear as bright orange or yellow blocks until you get very close when they pop into their true colour.  

Finding it very difficult to use the mouse in the cockpit as it keeps disappearing and tricky to get back, even with legacy mode turned on. 

So far not impressed but hopefully things will improve/get fixed fairly soon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Badger said:

No noticeable performance improvement apart from at EGLC so far which previously was pretty much unflyable is now flyable. Apart from that I'm experiencing more stutters, some of the scenery at addon airports pops in at the last minute, ie cars in the car park at EGHI appear as bright orange or yellow blocks until you get very close when they pop into their true colour.  

Finding it very difficult to use the mouse in the cockpit as it keeps disappearing and tricky to get back, even with legacy mode turned on. 

So far not impressed but hopefully things will improve/get fixed fairly soon. 

Dunno if you already did this, but what fixed stutter for me was too lock my frames at 30fps, and adjust settings so it run buttersmooth. My performance issue came from that the frames was locked at 60 FPS by default but my computer couldnt keep up... 

• Like 2

So did first flight today after very long and slow update...JF turbo arrow...flew local from Bristol heading north to Gloucester then a left turn and follow the coast down to the new power station then back up to EGGD ...sim was very smooth, set to high end and locked at 30frames....no stuttering and very little pop-up...was at 4500ft and speed about 145..looked great with live weather but didn't try REX weather...read reports elsewhere of really high PC temps but only mid 60s for both CPU and GPU...all in all very pleased so far except for my somewhat bouncy landing....

• Upvote 1