Login to Orbx price has gone up

TopHeavy

D8DBAD99-EBF0-4A5E-98FC-4E85628C72AB.thumb.png.fbd36e0e127ce5820aa0c6f22173c569.png61DD64A6-6FDB-46F7-897E-5A7B706040D1.thumb.png.67216e529cf5f15335b91bf5bba4e199.png

Hello to one and all and thank you in anticipation I have purchased over the years   48 products x-plane and MSFS  from Orbx and very happy 

Purchase from Orbx Bundles France VFR Airport Pack 1 MSFS 2020

£20.93p 

I log into my Orbx account the price is now  £25.12p 

Any advise . It's only £5 more ( I am 73yr) but the £5 will go to wards France VFR Obstacles & VFR Landmarks

for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Thanks again

I noticed this too when I was looking to purchase the new YBBN, it shows "$20.90 AUD" on the front page as a single figure when not logged in,  but then shows a new presumably now GST inclusive price of "$22.99 AUD" when logged in (ignoring the discount) . 

393282755_Screenshot_20210719-0608212.thumb.png.9f00c25b8aae80efe669c3706b7d728f.png

1420030034_Screenshot_20210719-0608482.thumb.png.e9cbf6b7328fba3ffbc1385a15bd3630.png

There's no mention of GST either way whether logged in on not when viewed on a mobile device at least. 

It's only when clicking through to the item that any mention of tax is made either way. 

This is contrary to Australian Consumer Law where,  to quote the ACCC "When you present prices to your customers, you must state the total price of the good or service as a single figure, which is the minimum total cost that can be calculated. This should include any tax, duty, fee, levy or other additional charges (for example, GST or airport tax)." and "This applies to advertising across all mediums."

I know its a minor thing and being pedantic and nitpicky but it feels misleading and is the reason for the law in the first place. 

• Like 1

Going down the path of adhering to the ACCC law, which doesn't take into account changes in international markets since it was written, might result in much more cumbersome processes for Aussie customers logging on to the site. A quick perusal of prices advertised on the Web in Australia for Australian products marketed around the world, shows widespread use of the base price plus gst and people accept it because sellers really don't have any option without making Aussie visitors see a separate page. And, even then, someone using a VPN will see a price without tax, and then the question arises, has the retailer then broken the law? 

13 hours ago, Ubute said:

There's no mention of GST either way whether logged in on not when viewed on a mobile device at least. 

6 hours ago, harrry said:

Orbx is an Australian Company.  It should and in fact must abide by Australian Law.

Hello,

as experts in the field of international, national, regional and local sales tax, can you suggest a better

way that an international internet retailer can apply a local tax when they do not yet know where the

customer is until that customer has logged in?

At least, this system is better than identifying the customer location by IP address, which as John points

out, is wide open to abuse through the use of a VPN. 

Orbx

• OrbxSenior Member
    3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

as experts in the field of international, national, regional and local sales tax, can you suggest a better

way that an international internet retailer can apply a local tax when they do not yet know where the

customer is until that customer has logged in?

At least, this system is better than identifying the customer location by IP address, which as John points

out, is wide open to abuse through the use of a VPN. 

refer to this

• Administrators
  • team_admin.png

An unexpected consequence of our international sale tax update for Orbx Direct was an erroneous price change for Australian customers, which showed the additional GST being charged on top at the checkout.

Our team is working on a solution and all Australian customers overcharged until the fix is in place will receive a refund on the difference.

Orbx is committed to its customers and if a price change was to occur it would be accurately described as such. In other words, this "increase" was a glitch and we will rectify it ASAP.

Recent updates to OrbxDirect to capture international taxes are part of Orbx changing compliance requirements.

Apologies to all the affected customers - we are working ultra fast to fix this.

Actually I don't believe this does contravene the Aussie law. The initial price shown is a generic global price and it is made obvious as soon as the purchase process is started that tax needs to be calculated. The process makes it clear that the actual price is not actually presented to the purchasers until they identify themselves.

Once a purchaser has logged in and thereby identified that they are liable to Australian GST, the total price is displayed conforming to the legislation. You can't expect Orbx to display a GST inclusive price on the product page, and thereby to an overseas purchaser in a country where that GST is not payable. 

• Like 2

I'm no expert in the field, but I have seen many online stores add tax as a seprate line item after the subtotal, so the price of the product is always the same regardless of where the taxes are, and the tax is simply added at the end.

In my opinion based on my very limited knowledge that may be a simpler straightforward method of adding the tax to the purchase?

Like I said I am no expert so this may all be inaccurate, just sharing what I have observed from other sites.

• 4 weeks later...

I went shopping at Orbx a few days ago and noticed on the invoice that I should suddenly pay 8% VAT.
I live in Switzerland and the VAT here is currently not 8% but 7.7%.
Then the following question:
What does Orbx do with this 8%? Do they go in their own pockets? They should normally be extradited to the Swiss state.
In addition, a product that does not physically cross the Swiss border, which is the case here, is not charged with VAT in Switzerland.

Regards, Heinz

• Upvote 1

Orbx please give an answer to this problem. It is not correct what you do. The product does not cross the Swiss border and I am not the owner of this product. I have only a license to use this product.

Edited by glasklar
  • Upvote 1