EGNT FPS is poor

MM100

I purchased EGNT for XP11 and getting very low FPS around the terminal.  On runway (which is bumpy), FPS is 30 but shutters are very bad.  This is the worst performing Orbx product I have purchased to date.  I'm running on Mac with metal and will try on PC/Vulcan this later today.  Anyone else having issues?

There is a performance difference when within the Terminal area mainly due to the PBR effect of the buildings etc.However, it does depend on your PC hardware specs and XP settings.

I attach 3 pics of what I see and get fps wise. 

The first is my normal setting at 3840x2160 4K resolution. At the Terminal area I am getting 25-27 fps in the x-737 mod and Traffic Global at 75% airliners traffic setting.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.bcf7afeb1b831d996374809f4d1c5240.JPG

This is the view/fps rate when I reduce the resolution to 2560x1440. The fps goes to 50 fps. Same Traffic global settings.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.2fad1131c15b882bc78ba03998ce91da.JPG

These are my default XP settings:

Capture.thumb.JPG.7fae6276ac9d6ad2feb73b6c48768acf.JPG

I do know that Vulkan with a Windows OS does perform better than Metal with Mac generally speaking.

I've done a few tests with different planes at EGNT and different airports and Newcastle has extremely poor FPS - around 19-25 when sitting at the gate. Sometimes getting half what I get at Heathrow/Manchester. Upwards of 50-60.

Such a shame as it's my home airport.

I've got a 3900x with a 2080ti.

Hi Jon. Thanks for investigating. I tested some more on Mac and PC and FPS is poor on both. The situation is much worse on Mac/Metal where I have shuttering across the entire airport. No shuttering on PC/Vulkan, but terminal FPS is lower than other comparable Orbx airports (I own many). I suspect there is an object that's causing problems. 

Hi,

Can you try dropping your Texture Quality setting to medium and report the result. This is generally what I run on with very little visual difference. 

If that doesn't make a difference, please try lowering the world objects setting a couple of notches. 

These results will give us an idea of what's causing the bottleneck on your system.

Cheers,

Greg

5 minutes ago, Greg Jones said:

Hi,

Can you try dropping your Texture Quality setting to medium and report the result. This is generally what I run on with very little visual difference. 

If that doesn't make a difference, please try lowering the world objects setting a couple of notches. 

These results will give us an idea of what's causing the bottleneck on your system.

Cheers,

Greg

Cheers for getting back quickly there Greg, dropping both individually (and together) made no difference at all I'm afraid. 

On further inspection my issue is only present when looking at the pier extending out from the Main Terminal building. Both Night and day produce the same results.

I was about to buy it but this puts me off. Do any of you have the P3D version? I assume by the same author. It’s VERY VRAM heavy to the point it cripples my 8gb card unless I tone down all of my settings. Other, more complex, airports are far better.

Ian.

I'll muddy the waters by saying that I bought this yesterday with my fingers firmly crossed and thankfully see no dip in performance at all no matter which way I'm facing. I have static aircraft turned off but a healthy amount of Traffic Global generated aircraft. At EGNM I do see a dip when facing in the direction of the terminal/car park so I have a yardstick to go by but for me at least, I have no issue at EGNT. 

One thing I will mention though is that the runway is extremely bumpy. Have flown out of there many times IRL and certainly don't recall it being anything like this rollercoaster ride!

Certainly seems to be the flood lighting around the main pier, GPU usage sky rockets and stutters are induced even at day when looking directly at it. Everywhere else is spot on. I'm still quite surprised that even at day the performance is significantly less smooth than at night at EDI but I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

Cheers for the great looking scenery however!

I would like to thank @Orbx @Greg Jones and anyone else involved in the development of EGNT especially for XP11. Thanks for not leaving XP11 users behind and abandoning the XP TrueEarth GB range. :)

You can see my specs in the signature and the only add-on I use is Traffic Global. I have enjoyed flying around this airport using helicopters and GA aircraft with pretty good performance on monitor and using Rift S. I find the performance acceptable for my current spec.

I would like to build a new higher spec PC but unfortunately because I'm not a YouTube reviewer, I can't source any of the new CPU & GPU hardware like all other mortals. 

Just purchased this product and am experiencing the same problem.  I have a high spec pc i9, 32gb and rtx2080ti and EVO SSD. With rift S in VR locked to 30fps I get no stutters and indicated 27fps around the airport but a soon as I face the terminal building in come stutters and fps show 16/17.  Have fiddled with graphics as mentioned and makes no difference.  Also have tried in default Cessna  172 and the 737 Zibo and get the same in both aircraft.  I have disabled static aircraft but run traffic global.

I dont understand why Orbx releases these airports with all these FPS issues, the best performing two airports in my opinion are Cardiff and Southampton, I believe they also have some PBR effects, but how can you get it so wrong when producing these airports, so many issues?  Surely you can make lighter versions, we do pay for these and its not great having to pay for products that dont work.  You should do the same with your TE versions, make lighter versions that are not so FPS heavy?  Trading settings just doesnt work especially when as soon as you fly out of the airports everything goes back to normal.  Please do something about it!

7 minutes ago, Peter Lurie said:

I dont understand why Orbx releases these airports with all these FPS issues, the best performing two airports in my opinion are Cardiff and Southampton, I believe they also have some PBR effects, but how can you get it so wrong when producing these airports, so many issues?  Surely you can make lighter versions, we do pay for these and its not great having to pay for products that dont work.  You should do the same with your TE versions, make lighter versions that are not so FPS heavy?  Trading settings just doesnt work especially when as soon as you fly out of the airports everything goes back to normal.  Please do something about it!

I just did a test on my mid range system.  At 4K resolution I was getting very poor fps at and around the terminal.  But my CPU/GPU is not recommended for 4K so I went back a notch to 2560 x 1440 resolution.

Here's what I got:

Takeoff 07  48 - 51 fps

Flying over TE scenery  55 fps

Approaching 25 and landing up the the taxiway turn off:  40 - 42 fps

Closer to the terminal before turning in to a gate, around 24-26 fps.

The last bit as I actually approached the gate:  17 - 18 fps.  As this is the last few metres and there's not much happening I don't have a problem with the drop in fps here.

My graphics settings are pretty well one notch from the top in all the sliders.  To me these figures are more than adequate for such a detailed piece of scenery.  Given that my CPU is 6 years old now and my card is around 3 years old, I'm pretty impressed. 

Here are my settings

image.thumb.png.68617f4c826db750e27ae611af41536b.png

They are lower than Badl4nz but give me very smooth performance except when facing the terminal building.  With no VR parked at ramp 21 facing the control tower

I get 56 fps in the zibo if I move to gate 3 this drops to 31 fps.  Nearly a 50% drop!!!!.  This is consistent with the drop I get in VR from 30 fps to 16/17 fps.

While the EGNT airport is very nice to look at, it is virtually unusable in VR with those kind of frame rates.  If nothing can be done to fix this issue then I would like a refund as the product is not fit for purpose.

17-18 FPS is unacceptable in my opinion. How does it vary so much between airports of similar size? Cardiff, Southampton and LOWI all perform well. There are some others which react badly... if it’s PBR then offer an option without PBR so that some systems run without issue. It’s all about having some choice here. But I’m noticing that it’s all about profit at the moment and it takes a lot to get proper answers. Tweaking just makes the whole situation laborious! They offered this with Washington TE but nothing since that? Please Orbx work on lighter versions - us folk with older systems will appreciate it and continue the support :-) 

@Ed Correia @Greg Jones  Please comment on the poor fps issue as this is not an isolated example of large fps drops at a couple of airports especially ones that have PBR. PBR may not have anything to do with the fps drop but dropping to low fps rates was something noticeable when PBR was introduced at some airports. Again maybe PBR is not the actual cause but it could be objects that are near the terminal causing a problem.

To have to lower XP settings for the brief time at a terminal only to reset them when away from the terminal is something we need to address or comment on please.

Is a "lite" version something to consider? More and more people are now using VR and VR also has a fps  cost. 

Archived