A ---->HUGE<---- performance and problem 'clean-up' tip...

Tonight, due to the HOTFIX being made live...like some, I had a grayed out MSFS start icon.  When I clicked on it, a blue box came up, and said that my MSFS installation could not be found.  Cutting to the chase, I had to ultimately RESET on the START ICON (right button pull down) and then downloaded the entire sim anew.   WOW....the result was fantastic!  I am running my 4 core/GTX1070 at ULTRA, and getting a sustained lock-down by (nVidia driver suite) 30 FPS!

All my threads run 'green' and again, to cut to the chase...with all these patches...which each of them,  are messing around with coding...I believe that if one does not 'bite the bullet' and do a fresh, clean install,  you have a dog's breakfast of coding errors in your present run of the sim.   That's the bottom line.

With any edition of P3D, it has ALWAYS been suggested that for the best outcome...the best performance, you should do a 'clean install'...

Well, as regards MSFS, I was forced to...( and had not, probably would not have....just kept mashing one patch over the other, that all of you still (mostly) have in place.  Unless you just dump that mess, and re-install;, you will of course never know, if you could be getting a much better performance and visuals out of MSFS. I was forced to...and see the excellent result of it, in visuals, and FPS sustained performance.  

Bottom line...I suggest one thinks about just dumping the multi-patched installation you have...and go for a full clean re-install.   Is it worth the time?  Yes....

Been flying since last night with a clean install.  Because of 5 patches hacking their way into your original install,  I suggest to everyone, that you take the time (good investment of that time!) to un-install your 5 patch(ed) original MSFS installation, and do a complete fresh install of the program. The benefits are so apparent the first flight you take!

I was forced to do this...and am now, glad their messing with the start-up portion of the sim,  made me do that.   I think now, I know why that happened to me.  I pre-ordered and the start up MSFS Icon was installed.  I then AFTER the fact, decided I did not want this installation on my C: drive...so put it out to a massive 10TB drive.  That worked fine, until they issued the HOTFIX, whereby as I moved after the fact my installation, it expected my install to be on my C: drive.  So...it greyed out, and there is no way you can point that start up file to where you have the body of MSFS.  Therefore...I had to reinstall.  Ok...whatever...

But...in being forced to do so...I see very clearly, that most of us...perhaps ALL of us...are running with a really code 'borked' 5 hack patch installation, ...whereby patches of coding could be corrupt (...how would the user KNOW if a patch was installed perfectly ok?  How?  You wouldn't....and that's the problem!)  Only if your install totally CTD'ed...and that has occurred to many...

So...I want to report that post my full install, whereby all the code is virgin, and properly installed, (NOT BY HACK PATCHES...5 of 'em!)  that my current MSFS installation is running where I have no objections or criticisms.  

On a i7-975 Extreme/GTX 1070/12 GB System RAM

...I am running full ULTRA within the sim.  I have turned off POST SHARPENING (set to 0) in the User.cfg file,  have turned off HDR10 (as my monitor is not capable to display that properly, and now have great color depth, etc)  That can also be found in the User.cfg file. Set that to 0 to turn it off.

I now have anywhere I go...a yellow total all in thread bar.  I have all three threads below that showing green. I have a green to yellow GPU thread bar, and am staying at my locked 31 FPS, locked by my nVidia Driver Suite.  I also have the Sharpen Filter as on, to the DEFAULT nVidia setting, and the result is no cloud and horizon pixilation that a lot of folks (post patch 5 and Hotfix) are complaining about.  The clouds look fabulous and nebulous as in real life.

So, in closing...I have seen that Asobo...hacking away at your original install over the 5 patches and the HOTFIX,  could have compromised the actual install you have.  Said, and done.  It certainly did on my system...because I now have a visual pretty much as it was RTM, and great FPS performance out of my CPU/GPU combo.

Did all that patching effort by  Asobo, compromise my original Aug 18th installation.   IT SURE DID!  I would have never known that, had I not been forced to install the entire MSFS clean, as it was on Aug 18th.   I can probably state, safe with safety...that most to all of you, that have NOT for any reason,  after the HOTFIX download, re-installed MSFS, that you are running a code-borked version, and that is hitting your FPS performance, as well as graphical output.

I recommend post HOT FIX intrusion...that all take the time to just download the program again...and know that all the coding will be as it should.  With all those patches,  you will simply never know...or can say, that all your program code is correct...  You simply...can't.

Orbx F/Ses

22 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Been flying since last night with a clean install.  Because of 5 patches hacking their way into your original install,  I suggest to everyone, that you take the time (good investment of that time!) to un-install your 5 patch(ed) original MSFS installation, and do a complete fresh install of the program. The benefits are so apparent the first flight you take!

I was forced to do this...and am now, glad their messing with the start-up portion of the sim,  made me do that.   I think now, I know why that happened to me.  I pre-ordered and the start up MSFS Icon was installed.  I then AFTER the fact, decided I did not want this installation on my C: drive...so put it out to a massive 10TB drive.  That worked fine, until they issued the HOTFIX, whereby as I moved after the fact my installation, it expected my install to be on my C: drive.  So...it greyed out, and there is no way you can point that start up file to where you have the body of MSFS.  Therefore...I had to reinstall.  Ok...whatever...

But...in being forced to do so...I see very clearly, that most of us...perhaps ALL of us...are running with a really code 'borked' 5 hack patch installation, ...whereby patches of coding could be corrupt (...how would the user KNOW if a patch was installed perfectly ok?  How?  You wouldn't....and that's the problem!)  Only if your install totally CTD'ed...and that has occurred to many...

So...I want to report that post my full install, whereby all the code is virgin, and properly installed, (NOT BY HACK PATCHES...5 of 'em!)  that my current MSFS installation is running where I have no objections or criticisms.  

On a i7-975 Extreme/GTX 1070/12 GB System RAM

...I am running full ULTRA within the sim.  I have turned off POST SHARPENING (set to 0) in the User.cfg file,  have turned off HDR10 (as my monitor is not capable to display that properly, and now have great color depth, etc)  That can also be found in the User.cfg file. Set that to 0 to turn it off.

I now have anywhere I go...a yellow total all in thread bar.  I have all three threads below that showing green. I have a green to yellow GPU thread bar, and am staying at my locked 31 FPS, locked by my nVidia Driver Suite.  I also have the Sharpen Filter as on, to the DEFAULT nVidia setting, and the result is no cloud and horizon pixilation that a lot of folks (post patch 5 and Hotfix) are complaining about.  The clouds look fabulous and nebulous as in real life.

So, in closing...I have seen that Asobo...hacking away at your original install over the 5 patches and the HOTFIX,  could have compromised the actual install you have.  Said, and done.  It certainly did on my system...because I now have a visual pretty much as it was RTM, and great FPS performance out of my CPU/GPU combo.

Did all that patching effort by  Asobo, compromise my original Aug 18th installation.   IT SURE DID!  I would have never known that, had I not been forced to install the entire MSFS clean, as it was on Aug 18th.   I can probably state, safe with safety...that most to all of you, that have NOT for any reason,  after the HOTFIX download, re-installed MSFS, that you are running a code-borked version, and that is hitting your FPS performance, as well as graphical output.

I recommend post HOT FIX intrusion...that all take the time to just download the program again...and know that all the coding will be as it should.  With all those patches,  you will simply never know...or can say, that all your program code is correct...  You simply...can't.

Orbx F/Ses

Your advice makes complete sense and I think you have hit on a really good thought. I always did it successfully with P3D. I am curious, what did you do about 3rd party addons? I was thinking of copying the Community folder to my desktop temporarily and then moving it back after checking new reinstall. Or, maybe would it be better to reinstall all addons all over again? What did you do?

Lee

8 hours ago, Lee H said:

Your advice makes complete sense and I think you have hit on a really good thought. I always did it successfully with P3D. I am curious, what did you do about 3rd party addons? I was thinking of copying the Community folder to my desktop temporarily and then moving it back after checking new reinstall. Or, maybe would it be better to reinstall all addons all over again? What did you do?

Lee

Hi Lee,   When I RESET, it actually wipes everything out...so you'd have to reintroduce what was in your Community Folder. So I would just make a full copy of that folder...then un-install,  do the go-get-a-coffee 95 GB reinstall, and then copy back your back-up Community Folder to the new naked one.  That's all you'd have to do. For my few MSFS Orbx...I just ran Central, and re-installed my few products.  Took five minutes of time.  So, I'm up and running just fantastically. I just came off a Caribbean island hop, with ending up in Cuba with Robert Young's  G36 Turbo, enhanced with the merge patch of the O6 latest patch...that even embellished the Turbo Mod.  

MSFS is running so fantastic....with great RTM graphics...water included...that the ONLY concern I have now...and a serious one, nevertheless...is that BECAUSE I can NOT choose to stay with my present setup...sit back and watch the any forum traffic on any future patches, the good, the bad, and the ugly......is that with the next enforced patch,  my fabulous running of my present incarnation will get borked again. That is my only concern now.  I (for myself) see that with all these patches hacking their way into the original RTM install...that for myself, it caused so many bad FPS moments...threads loaded up from yellow to red...blah, blah.   Now?!?!?    Green to Yellow...no heavy red,  perhaps a micro second spike but back to either green or over the likes of San Francisco at FULL Ultra (and with added mods and tweaks to the User.cfg fil....staying in the green/yellow band looking at the in-house, FPS thread meter.  I have the sim locked to 31 FPS via the nVidia suite...with vsync off...and stay mostly between 27-31, with Live Weather...and heavy cloud/scud renderings.

So...happy now as a pig in  .......but....because of the forced down your throat patches...that is my only vehicle to user stress.... and that should be changed!

So, Lee...bite the bullet...let er rip...go watch a movie as you re-install...and have fun....load in your Community Folder..and have a go at all the good  tip/tweaks for the User.cfg file.   Like I said...my MSFS installation is running like a top...and I could just stay with this...indefinitely.  I don't even need to spend one dime, on a new CPU/GPU combo. No sir!  

Cheers,

O.F. or Ses by another name...lol.

6 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Hi Lee,   When I RESET, it actually wipes everything out...so you'd have to reintroduce what was in your Community Folder. So I would just make a full copy of that folder...then un-install,  do the go-get-a-coffee 95 GB reinstall, and then copy back your back-up Community Folder to the new naked one.  That's all you'd have to do. For my few MSFS Orbx...I just ran Central, and re-installed my few products.  Took five minutes of time.  So, I'm up and running just fantastically. I just came off a Caribbean island hop, with ending up in Cuba with Robert Young's  G36 Turbo, enhanced with the merge patch of the O6 latest patch...that even embellished the Turbo Mod.  

MSFS is running so fantastic....with great RTM graphics...water included...that the ONLY concern I have now...and a serious one, nevertheless...is that BECAUSE I can NOT choose to stay with my present setup...sit back and watch the any forum traffic on any future patches, the good, the bad, and the ugly......is that with the next enforced patch,  my fabulous running of my present incarnation will get borked again. That is my only concern now.  I (for myself) see that with all these patches hacking their way into the original RTM install...that for myself, it caused so many bad FPS moments...threads loaded up from yellow to red...blah, blah.   Now?!?!?    Green to Yellow...no heavy red,  perhaps a micro second spike but back to either green or over the likes of San Francisco at FULL Ultra (and with added mods and tweaks to the User.cfg fil....staying in the green/yellow band looking at the in-house, FPS thread meter.  I have the sim locked to 31 FPS via the nVidia suite...with vsync off...and stay mostly between 27-31, with Live Weather...and heavy cloud/scud renderings.

So...happy now as a pig in  .......but....because of the forced down your throat patches...that is my only vehicle to user stress.... and that should be changed!

So, Lee...bite the bullet...let er rip...go watch a movie as you re-install...and have fun....load in your Community Folder..and have a go at all the good  tip/tweaks for the User.cfg file.   Like I said...my MSFS installation is running like a top...and I could just stay with this...indefinitely.  I don't even need to spend one dime, on a new CPU/GPU combo. No sir!  

Cheers,

O.F. or Ses by another name...lol.

Did it all, worked out great!  Yes, it seems a lot smoother and working much better. After an 8 and a half hour 95 GIB download and installation, I realized that you then have to add all the content. It took another couple of hours to do all that. Whew! It's finally all done. 

I don't know what to say, there will be more patches coming and more content. I'll stay with their program for a while, but after a few patches it might be necessary to reset the whole thing again. Ouch!

Lee

7 hours ago, Lee H said:

Did it all, worked out great!  Yes, it seems a lot smoother and working much better. After an 8 and a half hour 95 GIB download and installation, I realized that you then have to add all the content. It took another couple of hours to do all that. Whew! It's finally all done. 

I don't know what to say, there will be more patches coming and more content. I'll stay with their program for a while, but after a few patches it might be necessary to reset the whole thing again. Ouch!

Lee

Yeah, Lee..that's my take and fear as well...but it is what it is...and you can't run the sim, if they release a forced upon you, patch...as you well know.

6 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

With any  MSFS update it is best advised to move your Community folder with all your addons in, to a safe place on the same drive prior to then doing the update.

The community folder redo was the easiest part of my reset. I use the MSFS Addon Linker, which made it much easier. I made a copy of the community folder to my desktop. Once FS 2020 was reinstalled, I moved certain sceneries back into the community folder. I ran Orbx Central and ran verify files with each Orbx addon, which refreshed all the pertinent links. I then refreshed the addon linker and everything, like my chosen liveries, got put back correctly.

Lee

15 minutes ago, Lee H said:

The community folder redo was the easiest part of my reset. I use the MSFS Addon Linker, which made it much easier. I made a copy of the community folder to my desktop. Once FS 2020 was reinstalled, I moved certain sceneries back into the community folder. I ran Orbx Central and ran verify files with each Orbx addon, which refreshed all the pertinent links. I then refreshed the addon linker and everything, like my chosen liveries, got put back correctly.

Lee

I also suggest Renault's  User.cfg tweaks and recommendations.   They really add to the view...and if your monitor is not a true HD10 renderer....turning that off...as he pointed out...REALLY enhances the visuals...you get great color depth...and yet still have all the 'shine' when the sun hits the water or bare metal...  I took all his recommendations ...and all the better for them!  :)

8 hours ago, Lee H said:

Lee

Wow...8 1/2 hours?!?!?!?!    Wow!  I have a 380 speeder download pipeline, and my 95  GB 'gulp'  took about 60 minutes...with also, the download resting as it unzipped the files and dropped them onto my system.  Then...in CONTENTS,  it took 3 minutes when I tagged all the Content boxes from the top, and went and made some coffee.  Came back slurpin'...and all was done.  Glad to read that it worked out for you, also.   I mean, how can you lose,  getting a fresh total-in coding virgin install....

19 minutes ago, Orbx Flyer said:

I also suggest Renault's  User.cfg tweaks and recommendations.   They really add to the view...and if your monitor is not a true HD10 renderer....turning that off...as he pointed out...REALLY enhances the visuals...you get great color depth...and yet still have all the 'shine' when the sun hits the water or bare metal...  I took all his recommendations ...and all the better for them!  :)

I will definitely look into it. I also got a lot of good ideas from the RD Presets Guide, very useful.

Lee

2 hours ago, Donka said:

I’m curious if a full restore is actually required. Did you try clearing out confit files etc. and having the sim recreate them first?

I had to do a complete reinstall, as the start icon 'could not' find my moved install.  But having said that...the full install is running great...and excellent visuals. I have no further critiques...well...until I get Borked Bombed, at a later date....it's really too bad we don't have any choice or say about updates/patches.  

With a download speed of 95GB in 60 minutes it is of course very attractive to "just" do a fresh install. The average speed that we can get in Australia (unless one has fibre which most don't or pays an absolute premium for 100Mbps (mega bits) ) is about 50 mbps (mega bits) so full reinstall of 95GB PLUS the additional Premium Deluxe files approx 25GB makes a total download of approx 120GB so we are talking upwards of 20 hours which makes the fresh install unattractive. And with an install on a drive other than C:/ there is the issue of how many files will be left uninstalled on C; drive. So far I have experienced no problems or slow downs after the mandatory upgrades/patches so "if it ain't broke I ain't gonna fix it". However I fully understand the logic of fresh installs it's just that in my case it is up until now unwarranted and unattractive time wise.

19 hours ago, Bassman said:

With a download speed of 95GB in 60 minutes it is of course very attractive to "just" do a fresh install. The average speed that we can get in Australia (unless one has fibre which most don't or pays an absolute premium for 100Mbps (mega bits) ) is about 50 mbps (mega bits) so full reinstall of 95GB PLUS the additional Premium Deluxe files approx 25GB makes a total download of approx 120GB so we are talking upwards of 20 hours which makes the fresh install unattractive. And with an install on a drive other than C:/ there is the issue of how many files will be left uninstalled on C; drive. So far I have experienced no problems or slow downs after the mandatory upgrades/patches so "if it ain't broke I ain't gonna fix it". However I fully understand the logic of fresh installs it's just that in my case it is up until now unwarranted and unattractive time wise.

In my case, I had to to it...but, am I GLAD, that I was forced to...  That about sums up my post fresh install 'experience'! :)  Yes, I am also most fortunate to have a 380 download pipeline and 40 upload.  Also, with my download speed, I very rarely ever see the 'thermal melt-down' building graphics, over major cities and heavy dense suburban areas.  I can fly over those areas at 200 knots and see the fully formed buildings at 1,200 ft, if I so choose to.  It's the 380 download pipe, that allows for that. Grateful to have access to that ISP account performance.  BTW, somebody in a thread wondered of what they see on screen,  morphing, texture clarity...the 'nuclear buildings'..had anything to do with their download pipeline access speed...and yep...most certainly. One fellow commented that some of my screenshots looking down from the high-wing, looked like RW snaps.... I'd say that the 380 pipeline dominates that graphic and visual clarity in MSFS.

A few days flying with a fresh install...

Well, all I can say,  with sincere honesty, is that being forced to do a complete reinstall of MSFS, was in hindsight, the best gaff, of all the aftermath of the patches.

My installation of MSFS is so RTM'esque...including a fabulous (thank the Guy Above...) visual of oceans and other water bodies running under a full Ultra set-up (including personal tweaks to the User.cfg file),  that I'm induced to giving Absobo, a break...

Watching this morning an A.I. controlled departure out of CYYZ (Toronto Pearson) bound for TCMN, running the 877-10, with a Canadian Airlines paint job and call sign at 07:00 hours...under LIVE WEATHER, and as ATC directed my A.I. crew to 023 for Departure....I just sat back, sipped my morning coffee, and just MARVELED(!) at the complexity (ULTRA) of the scene...the sun glistening off of the tail and elevators as the bird made its taxi to the active...the sun itself, breaking from the horizon, the shadows (of which I cranked up to 4096 in the User.cfg...playing across the airframe, and the airport buildings...my LOD, clean enough now, to easily make out and see detail of the CN Tower miles out to the south east of the airport....and then,  climbing under A.I. to our cruise of FL410.  I fly a lot as a result of my employment, and have a very sharp image of what real world terrain looks at various FL's...and, I just marveled at how real world, the ground was from FL18, right up to our cruise of FL410.  I never had to break sweat, to 'feel' that I was looking at ANYTHING ELSE, but a real world window seat...and gazing down below, just aft of the wing...where I always try to book.

The entire flight, was simply to this man's mind...real world visuals in every way...DESPITE knowing I was looking at a sim.  Never has that happened before.  I credit MSFS and Absobo Studios for that.

I now see absolutely, beyond a doubt, that a five patch version of MSFS is degraded...contributes to the various complaints across many forums about this and that...that this and that no longer looks even close to RTM...water...terrain...clouds....etc.

I see that now...for I no longer have any complaints over my visuals...but only in the birds...and their cockpits instrumentation...A.P. swinging the wings, rocking them back and forth,  A.P. not working as it should...stuff like that.  That will get fixed over the next 12 months.  My visuals...as is right now...I could live with indefinitely. So, if they even improve that...fabulous, all the better. I have my LOD back...no blur...no low-rez beyond 3 miles from the craft....downtown Toronto, as clear as a bell, as we climbed out of Pearson...FABULOUS!   No complaints....

Whether one, after reading my thread...and what I personally experienced after a full clean install, decides to reinstall the entire sim, OR NOT...will be their decision on the matter.  For myself...the best thing that EVER happened, was being forced to take action, because the HotFix borked my being able to run MSFS from the start icon.

My present MSFS running experience, and pleasure thereof,  truly has cut the angst churn...and allows me to 'cut Absobo' a break, and enjoy 'what is'...and welcome what 'will be'  Just wanted to share my post-full install experience and current mind set.

Cheers,

O.F./Ses

Thank you for your review of reinstalling MSFS.....

My question is, what happens after future patches?  Do you think you might have to reinstall again?  I ask because I am considering reinstalling, but I am afraid that I might have to reinstall again after more patches....

1 hour ago, PMR said:

Thank you for your review of reinstalling MSFS.....

My question is, what happens after future patches?  Do you think you might have to reinstall again?  I ask because I am considering reinstalling, but I am afraid that I might have to reinstall again after more patches....

From what I have seen pre and post install of MSFS, I'd imagine that **IF** you personally deem that you are getting degrading visuals, or performance, with at least two patches into your fresh install, then yes, I'd guess, that one could again,  re-install after one to three new patches, and go from that turn in the road. At some point, there will be only feature updates,  content added, etc, and that I imagine would not affect the core graphics and instrument function(s) of the sim. 

For myself,  if I find again, degrading performance with what I have now as my 'base level of judgement',  then yes...I would just delete, and download anew.  It takes me about an hour for the main sim, and about three minutes of added Content to bring back my Premium Deluxe version, at a download pipeline speed at 380.   I have read that others have at least eight times that time-line to re-install, so I can see where that would be a deciding factor to hold them back from a fresh installation.  At some point of time, there will be no one-after-another 'patch/hacks' to try to get MSFS up to full running features and amenities.  That's what we all need to wait for, and hopefully after that...just added content, or mild 'tuning's, and not opening up MSFS's abdomen because of such  a dire fault or bug is found, or not eradicated!

It is what it is, at present, but...at this venture of time, I do recommend (seen from my experience)  a full, clean reinstall to eradicate a 5 patch(ed) product presently on your System...

35 minutes ago, Bassman said:

Orbxflyer is your installation on C:/ drive or another drive? and if so do you know if there is much data left over on C:/ from your original install?

Bassman,  my RTM install was never on my System Drive, or C: drive. It was installed to another drive, directed by my telling (adjusting) W10 to install any and new installations on my 10 TB  non-system drive.  That was after the Pre-Order original Start Icon was downloaded and resting until it got activated on Aug 18th.   So when the HotFix patch addressed another version of that 691 MB Start Icon...it pointed to its default install on a user's system or C: drive.  That is why it could not find an MSFS installation it expected on my C: drive.   That forced the reinstall, as there is no way you can point that small start program to the main install.  It is now directed by W10 to my 10 TB drive...and so,  (I hope...) if they ever mess around with that again, it will 'know' where to look, to start the initialization process between MSFS and the M.S. Servers.

I never had any data, other than the small 691 MB start icon on my C: drive,...but that got deleted, when I DID, force a deletion of it.  Nothing taking up storage, now, on my C: drive. Only, my 10TB out-board SATA drive.

Another tip...you might want to make sure to run the 452.06 nVidia Driver Suite, as that is the only one, that was coded to optimize the running of MSFS.  I always thought that nVidia drivers run as a cumulative update....and that any future version of their driver would have that directed MSFS optimization.  Wrong...each one, is directed at a specific game or set of four games...and only the 452.06 is directly optimized to enhance the running performance of MSFS.   If you go past that version, you have just ended that 'game targeted' graphic driver coding.  For MSFS----Driver 452.06 Desktop W10 64 bit International  The best one, is from Guru 3D...as they even clean it up and tweak it a bit....

Here's the link to the dedicated MSFS nVidia Driver Suite :

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-452-06-whql-driver-download.html

Download GeForce 452.06 WHQL drivers, these drivers provide optimization for Microsoft Flight Simulator. In addition, this release also provides optimal support for the World of Warcraft: Shadowlands pre-patch on the public test realm as well as for A Total War Saga: TROY and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2.

Very interesting thread

We all have to reinstall some time

I am approaching this point with MSFS 2020

I was blaming all the AddOns of which there are so many but the basic corruption of the sim itself due to multiple updates is possibly more important 

Been through this with the many reincarnations of P3D so I suppose I should not have been surprised 

I have the boxed version of MSFS 2000 so a reinstall is putting me off a bit as perhaps more technically more challenging to a tyro than P3D or the MSFS 2000 Internet download 

Have to grasp the nettle some day soon as the sim gradually becomes more and more buggy through use

xxd09

4 hours ago, xxd09 said:

Very interesting thread

We all have to reinstall some time

I am approaching this point with MSFS 2020

I was blaming all the AddOns of which there are so many but the basic corruption of the sim itself due to multiple updates is possibly more important 

Been through this with the many reincarnations of P3D so I suppose I should not have been surprised 

I have the boxed version of MSFS 2000 so a reinstall is putting me off a bit as perhaps more technically more challenging to a tyro than P3D or the MSFS 2000 Internet download 

Have to grasp the nettle some day soon as the sim gradually becomes more and more buggy through use

xxd09

Hi xxd09,   I would 'think' that because you have the boxed version...it would be a slam-dunk?!?   Ever since I was forced (no hand wringing decision making involved (LOL)) to nuke the RTM and reinstall from the M.S. servers...it's been MSFS, love at first sight!  You only have my word for making the claim that by their 5 patch hacking away of the RTM coding, trust me...it ***BORKED*** that install.   I had lots of the same problems as everybody else. Like you...I messed around with my Community Folder 'delights'...and still had the same well...to put it quite bluntly...***CRAPPY***  run and user experience.

Borked RTM...got rid of it, forcibly, LOL

That was then, this is now....every time I run MSFS, it loads faster than I can remember, it runs like a top,  with the 452.06 MSFS tuned driver for my GTX1070 8GB, it bangs at the top of my nVidia FPS lock of 31 FPS, I have Sharpening turned off, as well as HDR10 in the User.cfg.  I have the nVidia default Sharpening turned on at that point...and have killer, non pixelated clouds...that look like they did, on RTM!!!!  Same for the oceans...and while on the topic of the oceans, water is such a MUST HAVE, for my type of simming. I love Amphibian operations...and noticed right away, such an up-scale performance of ocean textures, waves...AND...on speaking about waves---->ignorance xxd09, IS NOT BLISS!   Ok..I really liked my waves after the install, but..but...when THEN...installing the nVidia 'dedicated' 452.06 suite, I decided to take a reverse flight from TCMN to CYYZ in the 747, just to check out the SIDS (if any),  and as I taxied towards the beach....WHAT???  WAIT A MINUTE?!?!?!?   What is different about the water?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Well now....what was different about the water...is that the wall of the waves...the vertical of the wave body, now was shadowed and darker in color, than the moving crest, or if the wind was blowing enough,  white-caps.   WOW....what a h*** of a difference...for whatever shader was responsible for that feature, was not doing its thing, from any other suite, from the next one, the one previous, and right up to the latest which I had tried.   Think of the realism,  if the wave shoulder is not taking direct sunlight and reflection, it will appear darker than the top, which is...and MAN OH MAN...did THAT increase the 'this is real' just with that shadowing effect now being displayed!  I just sat there, and watched the waves coming in,  as it looked so real to what I know oceans and beach surf looks like.  So...if you had not seen that...how would you know what was missing and SHOULD be there...or not?  Not I...not you, not anybody!   The above drivers should have the water under (LIVE Weather) displaying what I am talking about.  It kicks up the water realism by at least 50 percent!

As you can tell, I am now having a Love-In with MSFS....yeah..there's bugs (that will be swatted against the glass, at some point in the future) ..BUT...I didn't (truly) buy MSFS for study level, and the latest and greatest in on-board systems. I have that with P3D study level gear.   No...I got sucked in...for the REAL WORLD depiction....and that is what drove me nuts to anger/frustration, when it got borked, one patch after another.   I can say right now...that I have at least...95 percent back of the first view, RTM world, that sold me on this sim.  I also now have....waves, that LOOK like freakin' real world waves....and xxd09...I'm as happy as a pig in.....yep....happy as that...

Cheers!

O.F./Ses 

On 11/3/2020 at 2:47 PM, Jon Clarke said:

With any  MSFS update it is best advised to move your Community folder with all your addons in, to a safe place on the same drive prior to then doing the update.

The great white hope of not fiddling for optimization and crashes with flight sims is now here with us on MSFS, the great white hope and we are still being forced to fiddle with files directly' I am very disappointed with this whole delivery  and patch on patch that is evolving and people have now accepted it again. sigh. 

Just a further note from me

Emptied my MSFS 2020 Community Folder-put the AddOns in a new folder 

MSFS 2020 performance returned to normal

Started adding AddOns one by one and checking as I go

Must confess to have gone a bit gang busters on AddOns as there were so many interesting ones to try out

Learnt my lesson 

One area that caused me problems was Liveries 

If you add more than one livery to the base livery -it can cause problems

Planes I was having trouble with were XClub Crafters and Cessna 172(G1000) 

Anecdotally over on the Avsim board I read that a New Zealand airport installation had caused problems with a US airport!

Another learning curve

xxd09

20 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Very similar as experienced in X-Plane/FSX and then P3D and most sims that I can recall. It is the nature of the beast as in all software.

You are correct but MSFS was being held out to be the end of fiddling and optimisation, just more of the same . Funny though is that I don't spend much time fiddling with either P3D V5 or Xplane 11.50 these days. I did the p3d V5.1 update and it just worked and all my settings stayed intact.

Hello,

as far as we can tell so far, all addons work by being placed in the Community folder.

It is as simple as that and in that respect, far more simple than any of its predecessors.

The fact that users cannot resist adding to and amending core files is not the fault of

the simulator developers and if left alone, it seems to work as they say it does.

Archived