Sydney Scape causes Flight Simulator to crash

Hello, 

Could you please help me? After installing Orbx Sydney Scape (to the default custom path) the flight siumulator crashes whenever I fly toward Sydney or start within the Sydney area.
I tried de- and reinstalling Sydney Scape, unfortunately without any improvement. This problem is limited to the Sydney area and appears only since I added this scenery. Any idea?

Thanks.

I've got the same problem - First CTDs since installing MSFS. Did two flights YSSY to YSCB from 16R yesterday with no issues, the flight loads taxis out and then crashes. Tried the Robin and Bonanza same same. Have no other 3rd party at all other than Orbx CBD. The elephant in the room may be the mandatory MSFS update this morning??

Exactly the same issue, have tried downgrading graphics level, removed city scene and can fly around Sydney without any issue's. I've mentioned this elsewhere in the forums and found no support. Next step will be to contact my credit card for a refund until this issue is fixed? Happy to wait if someone says they are working on the issue?

Hello,

I have tried this and failed to achieve a CTD flying from YSSY towards the city.

Can you describe the nature of it and any error that may be stored

in your Windows Event Viewer please?

I am sorry that your previous support requests were overlooked, this was most likely

because they were added to the preview to release announcement.

Best practice for support requests is to start a topic in the relevant support forum.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I have tried this and failed to achieve a CTD flying from YSSY towards the city.

Can you describe the nature of it and any error that may be stored

in your Windows Event Viewer please?

I am sorry that your previous support requests were overlooked, this was most likely

because they were added to the preview to release announcement.

Best practice for support requests is to start a topic in the relevant support forum.

Hi Nick, I have just fired up MSFS, applying the latest update, will then re-install the Sydney City Scape, will leave windows event viewer open and see if anything pops up. Basically I have the same issue as reported, set to take off from Sydney with a view to fly towards the Opera house, within seconds it hangs and then crashes. I have selected a start position of the Opera house for a random flight and the same happens there. I have a GeForce RTX 2060 6GB i7 Dell Gamer Laptop, which is more than up for the job. I can play the native game in ULTRA, but tend to dial it down to get a smoother experience. This city scape is the first add on I have ever applied. Will advise this morning once I have tested again.

45 minutes ago, Frank Schnibben said:

Hi there, following the 3 steps below should solve this issue:

• Deinstall CS Sydney.
  • Delete your rolling cache.
  • Reinstall CS Sydney.

Please also have a look here:

Well, what do you know :-) I deleted the rolling cache, re-created a 40GB rolling cache file, downloaded and installed the city scape and all appears to be fine, just did a quick flight over the Opera house, will test more later.

1 minute ago, andy.brownhill said:

Well, what do you know :-) I deleted the rolling cache, re-created a 40GB rolling cache file, downloaded and installed the city scape and all appears to be fine, just did a quick flight over the Opera house, will test more later.

Great, thanks for the feedback! :)

45 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I wonder if the same thing could be causing crashes with combinations of airports

that I cannot replicate either?

This is quite possible. There are many reports about CTDs related to rolling cache across addons from various providers (also with MSFS out of the box without any addons). In most cases the issues disappeared after deleting and rebuilding rolling cache if not disabling it at all.

Thank you very much for the advice! Sorry for not catching up to your reply sooner. 

:( Unfortunately the recommended procedure did not help. I did the following:

1. Uninstalled Sydney Scape in Orbx Central
  2. Started FS2020 and deleted Rolling Cache (was 8 GB)
  3. Switched Rolling Cache on again
  4. Set Rolling Cache to 15 GB and let it built up again
  5. Closed FS2020
  6. Deleted Freeware "Sydney Harbour Bridge" and "Sydeny Tower" by moving them out of the custom folder
  7. Reinstalled Sydney Scape in Orbx Central (latest version)
  8. Selected custom departure directly over downtown sydney
  9. Loading and CTD at the end of the loading procedure

Any other ideas? Should I have left the Rolling Cache switched off? Could the freeware addons have had an impact?

Windows-10 System (latest update)

FS2020 (latest update)

Hardware:

Core i7 5930K 3.5 GHz

32 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 970

Samsung SSD 840 Series 1 TB

Hello,

the suggested procedure was:

Deinstall CS Sydney.

Delete your rolling cache.

Reinstall CS Sydney.

I suspect that you have simply reintroduced the problem again.

In your position, I would have

Deinstall CS Sydney and removed all my other freeware addons for Sydney.

Delete your rolling cache.

Reinstall CS Sydney.

Have you considered, or even tried, using the simulator without a rolling cache at all?

https://guides.gamepressure.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/guide.asp?ID=55405

22 hours ago, Frank Schnibben said:

Hi there, following the 3 steps below should solve this issue:

• Deinstall CS Sydney.
  • Delete your rolling cache.
  • Reinstall CS Sydney.

Thanks Frank it worked for me too. I must say that while the Orbx cityscape is nice its a bit like lipstick on a pig. The rest of the city - those water levels (climate change ?) no cliffs etc all a bit of a let down. Just wish x-Plane had MSFS weather and I'd be happy. One question - my rolling cache file was full to the limit I had allocated (250Gb) - does it start deleting files first loaded to stay within the allocated 250Gb ? or is this another VRAM similar limitation?? and it has to be cleared from time to time?? Cheers Pete

Same here. Since patch 1.9.5 the other day I too have experienced this problem.  After reading through the above posts I performed the following:

• Uninstalled Sydney Scape in Orbx Central
  • Started FS2020 and deleted the Rolling Cache under Options -> General -> Data -> Rolling Cache Settings
  • Switched Rolling Cache on again, set my Rolling Cache to 100 GB and let it built up again (I believe this is optional)
  • Closed FS2020
  • Started FS2020 and tested above by flying around Sydney with the default (now relatively ghastly) scenery and experienced no problems
  • Closed FS2020
  • Reinstalled the current version of Sydney Scape via Orbx Central
  • Started FS2020 and flew around Sydney again using the new scenery with no problems

Problem solved :D (for me at least)

On my first install of Sydney scape MSFS crashed to a black screen.  Second try I received an error message relating to a memory write failure or similar on top of the black screen. Thereafter on each retry just crash to black screen.  I'm running 32GB RAM and Win10 MSFS on Ultra settings. Backed off Terrain Detail slightly and now working OK. 

Thank you, problem solved!

I forgot to delete the Australia Fixed V.1.5 add on as well. I still need to figure out what makes a rolling cache rolling. Isn't cache always "rolling"? I have set it to 100 GB now.

Great scenery! I love Sydney and Australia and I am looking forward to seeing more Orbx addons from down under!!

Many thanks! :)

My previous post was a bit premature.  I am experiencing CTD while using CS Sydney. Does not happen when CS Sydney is not installed.  I have tried the procedure listed here. In fact I turned off the rolling cache entirely.  I can take off from YSSY and can fly around the city but when on finals back to YSSY CTD at about 200-300 feet altitude.  I do not have any other YSSY addons.  

Its become quite annoying given the time it takes to load MSFS each time. Anything else to try?

I'm only guessing but with my Sydney behaving perfectly with only default and Orbx sceneries installed, perhaps the problem is from conflicts with other add on sceneries or add on aircraft?  If you do have any other add ons in your commuity folder it'd be worth deleting or moving them out to see if it makes a difference.  Just a thought.

14 minutes ago, machman888 said:

Just noted suggestions in other thread. I have installed CS Sydney on another drive (not same as MSFS). I will relocate it to the MSFS drive and give that a try.

No joy!! This time it CTD before in the last 10% of the loading screen.  Will try John Dow's suggestion above and clean out the Community folder. 

1 hour ago, machman888 said:

Just noted suggestions in other thread. I have installed CS Sydney on another drive (not same as MSFS). I will relocate it to the MSFS drive and give that a try.

No joy!! This time it CTD before in the last 10% of the loading screen.  Will try John Dow's suggestion above and clean out the Community folder.

Cleaning out the community folder did nothing as far as I can see - CTD after the Fly video started.

Next step was to reinstate Rolling Cache with more - set it to 30GB instead of 10GB.  First try disaster - 'blue screen of death' at last 10% of loading. 

Good news is that on restarting the PC the package worked; at least for 2 take off and landings in the same session.  Now that it works I'll start introducing other scenery into the community folder and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip JD.

The problem persists but it seems that a reboot of the PC fixes the problem.  This suggests a memory problem. 

Indeed occasionally the following message pops up after MSFS ceases working. Does anyone recognize the application referenced or indeed the nature of the problem.

1807943661_MSFS_CSSydneyProblem.JPG.239152ee145dcaff14fbfef0735c0764.JPG

Hello,

the internet says:

agcp.exe is an executable file that is part of the Microsoft Silverlight program developed by Microsoft Corporation. The software is usually about 40.84 MB in size. The .exe extension of a file name displays an executable file.

Thanks Nick, my searching found it also. I think it might be a 'red herring'.  I found that Silverlight was running and disabled it.  But the problem remains and MSFS still CTD at the end of loading and on starting the intro Fly video. However there may be a conflict between some other running process and MSFS.  I have disabled as many as I can identify but the problem persists. Still searching.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I too cannot fix this issue. CTD before progress bar finishes loading a flight. Also, if I try fly from an airport other than YSSY but as soon as I start getting close to Sydney it will CTD. Tried everything that has been suggested in this thread and even gone as far as a complete MSFS reinstall but the problem persists. Doesn't matter which plane, high details, low details bla bla bla etc etc nothing helps. I am kinda bummed about this as the standard Sydney scenery is total junk and completely disappointing that it wasn't included as a high detail scenery area with MSFS. At least it wasn't terribly expensive at about $20 but if it was much more than I would definitely be requesting a refund. Obviously its an Orbx software issue so hopefully they will fix it soon.

Hello,

welcome to the forums and thanks for your comments.

As a general rule, if a piece of software is faulty, then all of

its users find the same problem. This is not happening.

Here is one other topic with a simple solution that you might like to try.

Hey Nick, had a look through that other thread you posted but it's pretty much the same advice posted. I understand there are many possible factors that can cause issues such as this but i have tried everything that has been suggested but cannot fix the problem. I built up a new PC just for MSFS which was not a cheap endeavour only to be constantly hit with issues. I have tested all components for failures as i did with my previous pc and came up all good. Fresh windows 10 install, fresh MSFS install. As Far as i am concerned it's both a MSFS and Orbx software issue causing the problem. I have run out of ideas.

@spanner76

Do you have other add ons or mods installed besides Sydney, e. g. liveries? There is another thread in this forum about a CTD always happening in the vicinity of two certain Orbx airports. In the end it came out, that one faulty livery had caused the issues.

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

@spanner76

Do you have other add ons or mods installed besides Sydney, e. g. liveries? There is another thread in this forum about a CTD always happening in the vicinity of two certain Orbx airports. In the end it came out, that one faulty livery had caused the issues.

The only other Orbx airport i have installed is LOWI. But i did try removing it so only Sydney was installed and it made no difference. The only solution to the issue is to remove the Orbx Sydney scenery and then I am able to fly around Sydney without it crashing.

• 5 months later...
On 11/2/2020 at 3:46 AM, spanner76 said:

The only other Orbx airport i have installed is LOWI. But i did try removing it so only Sydney was installed and it made no difference. The only solution to the issue is to remove the Orbx Sydney scenery and then I am able to fly around Sydney without it crashing.

Hi Spanner,

I have both the Tampa Sydney Landscape and Sydney Airport bought through the Orbx Portal and never  had any issue with either of them till today (2nd April 2021).

What caused the issue?

Changing my pre-defined Graphic setting from Medium to Ultra.

I had been using an AMD R9 290 for the last 7 years and upgraded to an RTX 3090 today.

The first thing I did was change the settings to Ultra and found a CTD error when starting in Sydney.

I then went through a lengthy process of removing all Community add-ons, modifying driver settings and then adding in each Community add-on one at a time.

In the end I found the predefined Medium and High-End Graphic Setting works without a CTD.

I would be interested to know if you or others have found this to be true and if so, FlyTampa needs to do some more Bug Testing.

Cheers,

FK

Archived