MSFS and your C drive Tip

Can this setting be changed back to default after MSFS is installed as I have a drive installed dedicated for this use only. If it is changed back to the default will updates still automatically be applied to the correct drive. Do we know how things will work with Orbx add on scenery. Will this work with Orbx Central along with my X-Plane Orbx scenery or will there be some other loading mechanism.

Hello,

you can not only put these types of apps wherever you want them, you can also move them easily.

Once installed, you can set that back to wherever you want for the next apps.

Note that as Jon mentions, this is only the apps, it is not the full installation, which you

can choose the destination for when you install it, just as with FSX, P3D, X Plane 11 and so on.

• Like 5

Hello,

as I mentioned, you must remember to choose the location of the files to match your chosen location

when installing for the first time.

Basically, the installation is in two parts and you can have those two parts together or separate.

As Jon explains, if you don't follow his advice, the app part will default to the C drive.

Even if you do not use the option that Jon has kindly explained, you can subsequently use the Move

option in Windows\Apps & Features\Right click on the game, to move the application files to where you

want them as well.

• Like 4

Right I’m confused here. So just checked my drives and there’s no Windows Apps on my C drive but there are Windows apps folder on my D drive and my G drive and that’s the place I was going to install MSFS the G drive that is as it is an Ssd with 201 gigabyte free. Are you saying I will have to move Windows App folder off that drive. Think this because I probably use them for Steam games. Thanks Derek.

Edited by Dadtom65

Hello Derek,

I would say that until it's installed, the best thing to do is nothing.

I understand that both an app and its game files can be installed onto any drive of choice,

including onto the same drive as each other, so perhaps you have chosen D and G.

1 hour ago, Dadtom65 said:

Okay thanks Nick but I thought John was saying that you could not have the App folder on the same drive as the Fltsim drive. Derek.

I actually clearly stated that my suggestion was to have both the MSFS App and the sim  on the same drive:

" I suggest you place that on the same drive as you are going to put your full installation"

As Nick says though you can place it where you want. I personally never put any extensive programmes on my C drive, only utility tools.

Hi John sorry for not replying to you earlier. One thing how big will the app be, small I guess and seeing as I already have a Windows app on the drive where I hope to install MSFS, will be ok to put it in that app folder or ok to leave it out of the folder so there will be two Windows apps folders. Thanks Derek.

Is this only pertinent to MSFS purchased through the Microsoft Store, or through Steam also?  I've been leaning towards purchasing from Steam mainly because it reportedly provides for better user control of the installation.

6 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi John sorry for not replying to you earlier. One thing how big will the app be, small I guess and seeing as I already have a Windows app on the drive where I hope to install MSFS, will be ok to put it in that app folder or ok to leave it out of the folder so there will be two Windows apps folders. Thanks Derek.

You will find out more at the time of you wanting to install. No as I also said in my post the App is NOT small, it is over tens of gigabytes. If it was small there would be no need to forewarn anyone about the issue. Regarding Windows Apps, no MSFS installs it's own App. I suggest you just follow the advice given and you can always make changes later as per the additional advice form Nick below. I feel you are trying to think of all possible computations rather than just, if necessary, changing the path to where the MSFS App is to be put. I only put the post up because many people will not necessarily have the required free space on their C drive, to accommodate tens of gigabytes if the Alpha is anything to go by. I don't want to be more specific at this point as I am still under NDA and am not sure of how much more I am allowed to pass on. I have highlighted the important parts of the info in Nicks post in red:

"Hello,

as I mentioned, you must remember to choose the location of the files to match your chosen location

when installing for the first time.

Basically, the installation is in two parts and you can have those two parts together or separate.

As Jon explains, if you don't follow his advice, the app part will default to the C drive.

Even if you do not use the option that Jon has kindly explained, you can subsequently use the Move

option in Windows\Apps & Features\Right click on the game, to move the application files to where you

want them as well."