MSFS London City Pack & EGLC

F737MAX

@Orbx
Just watched a live stream showcasing the new products. Really like them - EGLC and London City Pack are must-haves for me.

As a Londoner, I really appreciate the extra POI models over and above what had gone into the TE GB South version of London. The extra skyscrapers at Canary Wharf and at Vauxhall, the new American embassy, and more detailed bridges.

A couple of points for making the products even better.

- London City Pack: the BT Tower (circled in purple) is way too tall. It's 189 metres (620 ft), including its aerial, and should be a similar height to the building circled in light blue.
The building circled in yellow appears to be an original design of One Park Drive in the Canary Wharf finance district. The real world building tops out at 205m (673 ft) and should be marginally smaller than One Canada Square (circled in green) which measures 235m (771 ft).
I don't recognise the building circled red.

k44vr9t.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ib57l7p.jpg

- EGLC: the runway markings are not the same as in P3D or the real world. Landing on rwy 09 at the TDZ marks in the MSFS version would lead to a significant overrun.
The blending between runway and taxiway edges and the grass are not crisp. I hope this gets fixed by release as I'm not the only person to have noted and commented on this.

Apart from these relatively minor points, it's a great start to MSFS and a much sooner one than I expected.

8 hours ago, greybeard said:

Now, where did I put my tape measure :banghead:

There's always someone ready to sarcastically **** on another person's point of view in this hobby.

Perhaps I and other simmers hold Orbx to a high standard because they develop better quality products than most.

Well done on adding to the conversation with such a constructive post...

I watched the same stream and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.

The have replaced the already handcrafted O2 Arena and replaced it with a lower quality version. Also they haven't added any stadiums, such as the Olympic Stadium.

Have they rushed this pack out for release date?

7 hours ago, CrustyPockets said:

I watched the same stream and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.

The have replaced the already handcrafted O2 Arena and replaced it with a lower quality version. Also they haven't added any stadiums, such as the Olympic Stadium.

Have they rushed this pack out for release date?

I am a little worried about the amount of issues found. Some people have said the same for Leeds Bradford, it's been rushed as the quality of the ground textures is very poor especially around carparks - Orbx don't have to use any of the base in textures, they can and should replace the lot where airports are concerned.

Some of the modelling is excellent though and PBR looks fantastic, it's also a pre-release version so hopefully will get fixed at least if not before 18th but sometime afterwards.

7 hours ago, CrustyPockets said:

The have replaced the already handcrafted O2 Arena and replaced it with a lower quality version.

Might not be the worst choice, yes it might be worst quality but this is London and they are adding 100's of POI's. I'm sure they have there reasons. It does seem bit strange as I wouldn't have thought a default quality allbeit a nice looking building would have had such a performance impact but that's all I can put it down to.

The few things that stood out watching the stream.

1. The Orbx scenery dotted about only increases desire to get proper London photogrammetery. But that's on MS.

2. The lighting is quite different to the standard autogen that it's a little off, probably not helped by the lighting coming on/off at different times to the default.
 hqoatpJ.png

3. The choice of using the Christmas lighting for HMS Belfast is... a bit of a peculiar decision. Makes it look like a kids toy. The standard lighting would've been far better.

CUGzN49.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 9:29 PM, Fizzelle said:

At least it's properly LIT at night now!

Still waiting for the X-Plane version to be LIT around Canary Wharf for X-Plane. How long have we been asking for this?

In X-plane is dark ,  in MSFS2020 London landmarks was grossly over-lit  !!!!

Just now, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

fixed and released on 22nd August through Orbx Central.

Thanks Nick.  It is fixed in  MSFS2020 (light dimming) , but not in X-Plane TE GB( adding lights).  I own both sims, and have all the Orbx add-ons for both sims.

Archived