Skyrocketing costs of hardware just not sustainable

Ams

Hello,

Looks like for us flight simmers the brunt of a weak hardware is much more as we need a good cpu, gpu and either M.2 or SATA SSD at least to get a decent fidelity out of our sims.
Now with the immanent launch of 3000 series we are looking at a cost of upwards to 1200 to 1500 USD for top of the line 3080ti and some where below for 1000 usd for 3080 or 3070 series with maybe 8GB or 11GB VRAM.

And all of this is within or less than 3 years of 2080 series launch

On top of that add cpu, motherboard, decent tower, ssd (M2 or SATA) (if you want your sim to really load fast and i think ssd speeds also matters in the new upcoming MSFS 2020 is not going to be any different in this department) the hardware costs keep sky rocketing with no respite in site.

Its taken a good 8 to 10 yrs or so for 1080 series to age but not so 2080 series. So if my system were to be obsolete in 3 to 4 years with a 2080 series card, this is just not sustainable.

Apologize for the rant, but if the community has any thoughts I would like to hear how other are managing this or what are the compromises that one can live with and what compromises one should not make in hardware department.

Cheers.

what we need is competition.....whilst most people oonly have one real option for GPU the price will be what they want to set it at.....my current system, i5 9600k, 1070 8gig & 16gig RAM & 2 x 4tb HDD's,  runs all sims and a very reasonable fps, but more importantly it is smooth....I will update the end of 2021 as I run in 3 year cycles and then just update what I feel is compromising anything I use on the PC. Even my moderate PC is running something NEW very well.....I certainly wont be going 3 series cards at there current expected prices and by end of next year who knows what will be about....

Whilst we want more detail in our sims and developers are now pushing tasks more onto the cards then they will get obsolete quicker....

Hello,

to be accurate, this is the actual date of the beginning of the Nvidia 10 series:

The GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070, were announced on May 6, 2016, and were released several weeks

later on May 27 and June 10, respectively.

Four years, not eight to ten years.

The 20 series:

The GeForce 20 series is a family of graphics processing units developed by Nvidia.

Serving as the successor to the GeForce 10 series.

The line started shipping on September 20, 2018

two years later.

The 30 series is possibly to be launched this year, 2020, also two years later.

There is no reason to suppose that a 970 + or 1060 + card will not be sufficient to run the new simulator, based on this:

3.jpg

As with all simulators so far, settings will probably need to be matched to the hardware but there seems to be no

requirement for an SSD or for a state of the art CPU.

Of course, it would be unrealistic to suggest that the best performance will not require the best hardware but I see

no fundamental need to spend a fortune to achieve good performance across the board.

On the face of it, it looks as if anyone who can already see satisfactory performance in the existing simulators will not need

to upgrade their hardware.

Finally, it should be understood that the release of a new series of processor or graphics card does not magically make all

earlier series "outdated". This means that existing hardware is still just as good as it was when purchased.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

it's probably worth mentioning at this point that a 1070ti is having no real problems running the new Flight Simulator

at 2k and a locked 30 fps, backed up by the system shown in my signature.

I am sure that a 3080 and its sister products will be an improvement but whether enough to justify spending as much

on a single component as was spent to replace a motherboard, CPU and 32GB of RAM is another matter altogether.

Given the tendency at the moment of P3D v5 being able to run even a 1080ti or 2080ti out of their 11 GB of VRAM, it

might not be a fix for that either, as things stand, of course.

got to agree there with you Nick, I have just a 1070, not TI, however it runs all 3 sims very well, however my next PC I would like to run 4k so it will be a complete new system, but that won't be for 18 months or so....some do buy the latest just because it is the latest, and that's in all aspects of life..phones, cars, tv etc etc....

I have a 4790k CPU and GTX1080 card and I get perfectly acceptable performance across all fs genres including MSFS. Sure, I look at videos showing Titans etc at 60fps in London and think it would be nice but until I can no longer get 17-20fps in my slowest areas I don't feel I will need to change. If fps is a problem on any day I can just elect to go flying away from cities where I regularly see 30-50fps.

From what I have seen, the new 3000 series cards are much cheaper than the equivalent 2000 series (a huge surprise) and perform way faster (60%). So if you are building a new system you may be pleasantly surprised. Nick's 10600K is also way better value than the 4790K that he had before and is much more powerful.

RTX 3070 AUSTRALIAN PRICE AND RELEASE DATE

The Geforce RTX 3070 will release last in October, but it will start at $809 AUD which is great value for money.

Nvidia says that the RTX 3070 is faster than the RTX 2080 Ti at less than half the price, and on average is 60 percent faster than the original RTX 2070. It is equipped with 8GB of GDDR6 memory, hitting the sweet spot of performance for games running at 4K and 1440p resolutions. Size-wize, it is a two slot GPU and comes in at 242mm by 112mm.

My experience building new systems is they are invariably cheaper than the one that preceded it. I remember paying $3,000 for a good desktop years ago. $3,000 will buy a lot more grunt today and $3,000 is not what it was 15 years ago!

My 4790K still runs quite acceptably (though it will not OC as much as it did) as does John Dow's above and it is 6 years old. I do have a 1660S graphics card  and am running a 4K monitor with medium to high settings and quite good fps. I will run the 4790K into the ground as the PC will need full replacement due to the dated motherboard, RAM and CPU but it will be close to dead when I do!

Bernie

The Dell 486 I bought for my mother in 1993 was $2995. That's $5300 adjusted for inflation. Can you imagine dropping $5K today on PC?

I bought one of the first Windows acceleration video cards (Diamond Viper) back in 1993 for $299. That's $545 today, or more than I ever have, or will, spend on a video card again! 

I just bought an Alienware i7-9700 with 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung M.2 SSD and Nvidia RTX 2600 6GB GDDR6 (and a few other things) for ~$800 in July direct from Dell. Skyrocketing costs of hardware? LOL!!!! Adjusted for inflation PCs have never been cheaper and of course never so powerful.

Keep in mind that the 3080 has the equivalent of 2 billion transistors. It is an incredible feat of engineering that is state of the art. It's also overkill for most users since survey after survey proves that most users still live in a 1080p universe.

I run MSFS in mostly ultra in 1080p without any of the FPS mods and with the London Scenery Pack from Orbx. Runs stunningly without stutters. I won't be moving to a new video card for at least another 8 years. In fact the only upgrades over the coming years will be twice the RAM, another SSD, and a proper flight yoke with pedals. Oh, and more scenery/airports/aircraft, of course!

On 8/12/2020 at 12:28 PM, Ams said:

Thanks for your reply Nick. Your reply helps me bring down my anxieties related to all the hardware related stuff as well as the new MSFS 2020 requirements.

You can also step up for $599.00 USF and purchase a totally portable system that MS gurantees will run MSFS at full spec.  The price of a RTX3070. You have that option...the same option that I am going ahead with...for my dedicated MSFS platform.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:52 PM, Orbx Flyer said:

You can also step up for $599.00 USF and purchase a totally portable system that MS gurantees will run MSFS at full spec.  The price of a RTX3070. You have that option...the same option that I am going ahead with...for my dedicated MSFS platform.

Can't really imagine swapping my yoke pedals and throttles for a handset controller arrangement. 

Archived