just a question

Dog4Zero

With all the new updates pouring in I'm getting confused over the configuration in the scenery. If it says default=enabled then it is on, correct. So if I check on that then it would disable it. I just don't what to get into the sim thinking I have something on when in fact I disabled it because of a brain dead move.  John

Hello,

most of the time, if there is a tick in the box, the feature will be enabled and if the tick is removed, the feature will be disabled.

There are one or two exceptions but that rule of thumb should work more often than it does not.

45 minutes ago, Dog4Zero said:

With all the new updates pouring in I'm getting confused over the configuration in the scenery. If it says default=enabled then it is on, correct. So if I check on that then it would disable it. I just don't what to get into the sim thinking I have something on when in fact I disabled it because of a brain dead move.  John

Interested in answer as I find it confusing as well.

Seems to vary by scenery release.

Best I have seen is: "If box is ticked, the feature is on, if its unticked, the feature is off."

TTM

55 minutes ago, Dog4Zero said:

But if it says default=enabled, then checking the box would disable it. That is my thinking. Am I right or wrong? Someone has to have the right answer.

I am with you, that's a bit confusing. It really should say better "ticked=enabled". And everything would be clear.

The tricky thing namely is, that sometimes when you open the configurater for the first time, some  of the boxes are already ticked, some are not. So what is default in this case?

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

I am with you, that's a bit confusing. It really should say better "ticked=enabled". And everything would be clear.

The tricky thing namely is, that sometimes when you open the configurater for the first time, some  of the boxes are already ticked, some are not. So what is default in this case?

OK. Somebody that does the writing of the software needs to give a good answer. Because I have also seen some that say default=disabled, but it would already have a check in it. That would mean it was enabled. Correct?  I would like some clarification here on this. John

10 hours ago, wolfko said:

Or you just do some trial. That would also clarify things.

We shouldn't have to. Good UX design dictates that's you make things as clear, easy, transparent and understandable as possible. 

15 hours ago, Dog4Zero said:

But if it says default=enabled, then checking the box would disable it. That is my thinking. Am I right or wrong? Someone has to have the right answer.

Hello,

it is wise to read the whole control panel.

As I wrote, this is the general rule, understood by most:

If it does not say something to the contrary, checking a box will enable a feature.

Unchecking a box will disable a feature.

Here are some examples.

In this one all the features are enabled and will be seen in the simulator.

1.jpg

In this one, there is a different instruction but it should be clear that the developer

has created this control panel to remove parts of EU England, whether for performance

or for compatibility and unchecking the box is indeed removing (disabling) features.

2.jpg

It should not be possible to misunderstand this one.

3.jpg

OK, Nick I understand that. But in some of the configs it has the box unchecked but says it is default=enabled or disabled.  In Aus v2 everything is checked. that would tell me that it is doing the opposite of what the default says. The ones that don't say one way or the other like you show are no brainers.

4 hours ago, SGunard said:

We shouldn't have to. Good UX design dictates that's you make things as clear, easy, transparent and understandable as possible. 

Yes sure, but isn't trying an testing what we do anyway. We will check, if the sim looks better when a certain feature is ticked or unticked, what influence ticking on performance has, etc., etc. So by the end of the day is actually not important to know which setting is the default one but only which is the better one.

Archived