P3DV5 is a No Go

Good day gents,

I have installed P3DV5 this week end but, as for many people, i was was not able to make it work properly.

I am experiencing catastrophic VRAM usage and after a few meters of flight, P3DV5 informs me that my graphic card cannot sustain...

I have a I5 quadcore with Windows 10 64 bits and a GTX 1050 that gave me entire satisfaction so far.

I bought my PC 2 years ago  and do not intend to buy another one this year.

So i stick to P3DV4.5

Dom Mason

1 hour ago, MasonDominique said:

Good day gents,

I have installed P3DV5 this week end but, as for many people, i was was not able to make it work properly.

I am experiencing catastrophic VRAM usage and after a few meters of flight, P3DV5 informs me that my graphic card cannot sustain...

I have a I5 quadcore with Windows 10 64 bits and a GTX 1050 that gave me entire satisfaction so far.

I bought my PC 2 years ago  and do not intend to buy another one this year.

So i stick to P3DV4.5

Dom Mason

Sorry Dom but you need to buy a new Video Card with 11Gb Vram.  If you love flight simming its worth the investment as for me I have deleted V4.5 as compared to V5 it's just so slow in terms of frames rates. Just invest in a new card.

The big question is: Does it really crash if the VRAM is at its limits? Or do the textures just get blurry for a long time and some objects hesitate to load as it is at P3D v4.5??

I just upgraded my whole PC to get the i7 9700k and before that I got a RTX 2060 Super, just to get 8 GB of VRAM in order to run P3d v4 smoothly. If that is still to little even to run a sim like P3d v5 just without a crash, then LM definitely does something wrong or hasn't fixed the right things yet. It's not like 6 or 8 GB VRAM graphic cards are components from the stone age.. Just imagine how quickly addon developers will adapt to the new possibilities and how soon even an 11 GB VRAM graphic card will be pushed to its limits again.. - if just a crash is the answer by LM, then v4.5 has been my last P3d sim.

I'm still using a GTX 1070 and I've not had a CTD so far with the 8GB VRAM. You have to keep the settings reasonable, so no 8xSSAA or insane LOD radius. And I've been using anything from A2A GA plane up to PMDG 777 over Orbx True Earth. Not the smoothest ride (my I7-4790K is also not the freshest anymore), but I enjoy V5 so much that I am about to remove V4 from my hard disk. 

• 1 month later...

The question for me is, how long do you think a 2080ti will be relevant? $1500 is a lot of money to spend if my card will become outdated and slow in 3-4 years. I currently have a 1070 and am considering upgrading but with the handful of new cards still being released with 8gb of vram, I am not sure if it’s worth the upgrade yet. 

Make sure you've updated to Windows 10 2004 and are using the latest Nvidia drivers.  Updating to Windows 10 2004 made all the difference to me.  Multiple CTD prior to update, none since.  It clearly manages vram better than the previous versions.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:41 PM, JensNJ said:

I'm still using a GTX 1070 and I've not had a CTD so far with the 8GB VRAM. You have to keep the settings reasonable, so no 8xSSAA or insane LOD radius. And I've been using anything from A2A GA plane up to PMDG 777 over Orbx True Earth. Not the smoothest ride (my I7-4790K is also not the freshest anymore), but I enjoy V5 so much that I am about to remove V4 from my hard disk. 

I run P3D v5HF3 full slider out...and own a GTX 1070 8 GB card.  All my screen shots usually are created with the info at the top left clearly visible.  I run with the sim as described..and without TrueSky..run at 3.2/7.3 and with TrueSky 4.3/7.3 running W10 2004.  That is the secret...you NEED to run with the latest W10 version...as that alone gives you a headroom of 3/4 GB's of VRAM back.  So, if you are NOT running the latest W10 version, I suggest that you download it today...and then start from there, again.  

On 8/2/2020 at 8:32 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

my recent decision was to wait and see what the 3000 series brings.

September 17th might be your date to try the new series according to this article

https://www.gpumag.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3000-series/

I just watched Minority Report with Tom Cruise a couple of days ago

I wonder what kind of incredible experience flight simming will be then

With full body suits there will be very little difference from reality

Hello, Flightsimmer,
I live in Germany and electricity is expensive there.
My NVIDIA RTX 1660Ti OC with 6GB has an average power consumption of 120 Watt. If I only upgrade to a RTX 2060 Super with 8GB the consumption is already indicated with 185 Watts and if I upgrade to RTX 2080TI the consumption will be 300 Watts.
So first of all an own power station if it continues in such a way. :):)

This translation was made with an internet translator.  

On 8/2/2020 at 5:37 AM, sho69607 said:

The question for me is, how long do you think a 2080ti will be relevant? $1500 is a lot of money to spend if my card will become outdated and slow in 3-4 years. I currently have a 1070 and am considering upgrading but with the handful of new cards still being released with 8gb of vram, I am not sure if it’s worth the upgrade yet. 

3 to 4 years ? The new 3080 series out soon will be 50% faster allegedly !

You can NEVER keep up. Don't try.

my 1070 & i5 9600k copes well enough with all sims, old and new....upgrade for me is the end of next year, see what I need then.....as Gabe_62 says you will never keep up...it's usually outdayed before you install it!

5 hours ago, Gabe_62 said:

3 to 4 years ? The new 3080 series out soon will be 50% faster allegedly !

You can NEVER keep up. Don't try.

Exactly!  Graphics cards are like cell phones.  Just when you think you've got the latest and greatest and best thing that is on the market, they release  a newer model.  Think about it.  If they got that far ahead of the technology they would go out of business because you would be set for the next 10+ years or so.  They would eventually have to close their doors due to a lack of sales.

Archived