This Is Not a "Support" Request

Mac6737

(This is NOT a "support question," because my sim is running great!)

I've been wondering about the algorithm that Orbx uses to insert texture into scenery. 

Case in point: I just flew to a wilderness area with which I was familiar IRL, and found "suburban sprawl" nearby.  I checked Google maps, and the area (in New York State's Adirondack mountains) is as pristine as it was when I went to summer camp there in 1949.  I understand that sim scenery is, after all, simulation, and that it strives (generally with great success) to create a sense of reality.  I am delighted with this virtual world, and with Orbx products in particular.

But how can it be that in a wilderness area where everything is forest, lakes and mountains, Orbx software  inserts a thoroughly inappropriate bunch of tract houses in the middle of nowhere?

Also, is there any way to delete particular anomalies, like this one?

As I say, just wondering . . . .

Mac 6737 

Camp Adirondack 2.jpg

If you were to post coordinates, I'm sure Nick could check it out and render an opinion.  As it stands now, he has no idea for a solution or answer.  I myself think the lclookup has inserted the wrong tile or something like that.  Who's to say?  But it doesn't look right.

Stew

16 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

If you were to post coordinates, I'm sure Nick could check it out and render an opinion.  As it stands now, he has no idea for a solution or answer.  I myself think the lclookup has inserted the wrong tile or something like that.  Who's to say?  But it doesn't look right.

Stew

OK, thanks.  It's clear that it's not accurate, according to Google Maps.

Fortunately, I don't have to fly all the way back there (I'm in Egypt today), as my uncropped screenshot shows the coordinates:

N 43º45.06'

W 73º27.60'

(If Nick sees this, I hope he understands it's not of high priority.)

Mac6737

• 1 month later...

Months ago, I posted on one of these forums ("fora," for those with classical educations) a question about why the scenery near the Canyonlands National Park in Utah, USA, displayed ridiculous demarcations between arid desert and verdant forest land.  Nobody knew.  Well, I still don't know. 

But, aided by a roadmap of where my wife and traveled last spring, I discovered that the offensive demarcations track exactly the boundaries of the Canyonlands and Arches National Parks.  And so, on the basis of recent personal experience, I can assure you that there is no such boundary in nature; the sere topography of our desert southwest transcends the borders of our magnificent national parks.

I have no idea why the Aussies at Orbx concluded that our US Parks were greener than their desert surroundings, but they are not!

Maybe they could fix this silliness sometime.

See attached screenshot.  (I would also have attached a pic of the area IRL, but the limitations of this forum will not accept jpegs of normal size.)

Mac6737    

Canyonlands Silliness.jpg

• Doug Sawatzky changed the title to This Is Not a "Support" Request

Just for understanding, is the forest within the national park or outside the national park? If it is within the NP, I'd reckon that the scenery landclass placement was done automatically by extracting osm data and assigning landclass textures to certain keywords, and maybe the word "park" as in National Park was interpreted by the placing algorithm as a command to place forest textures. 

One further question, which Orbx products do you have installed? Only Global or Global and Open LC North America? Because the latter one should give you more accurate landclass throughout the US. I can check how it looks on my system and post a Screenshot. 

7 minutes ago, fabs79 said:

Just for understanding, is the forest within the national park or outside the national park?

That's just it...there is no real forest in that area....it's desert. Canyon Lands and Arches are beautiful desert landscapes. Not forests. I think that is the OP's point.

Archived