TE California South

Finally got this software to load after 2 days of trying, seems there was something wrong with the file because once a new version of Orbx central was released, it loaded fine. Firstly, 10/10 for the scenery, it is up to the usual high standard for Orbx and is terrific for the VFR pilot, I love it. On the negative side, there is little to offer the helicopter pilot with regards to helipads. Take LA for example, the area is riddled with helipads on top of many of the high rise buildings. They have even included the max weight in pounds that building roof will support for choppers - ok, appreciate they are for emergency, but some are proper helipads. Unfortunately Orbx has not made them hard landing spots, so you just drop through them. Even a few would have been a nice touch :(    I then moved south to San Diego, probably one of the biggest US Navy bases. But only pictures of the many ships based there...with one exception, a large aircraft carrier has been modelled, so off I go and try and land on it...nope, again, not hard deck and just fall through it. Sorry Orbx, but a missed opportunity to please the many chopper pilots out there. Please going forwards, would you consider adding helipads?   Still love the scenery though  and don't regret the purchase :)

North of Los Angeles I am seeing houses not showing right - they are like floating over the ground.  I'm guessing this has something to do with the scenery.ini order.  In my case the order is:

Orbx A So. Cal Airports 

Orbx  A SoCal TE Custom

Orbx B  SoCal TE Overlay

Orbx  C SoCal  TE Orthos

Is this the right order?

Should the Orthos go much lower than since it is a mesh (isn't it)

10 minutes ago, GatorClay said:

North of Los Angeles I am seeing houses not showing right - they are like floating over the ground.  I'm guessing this has something to do with the scenery.ini order.  In my case the order is:

Orbx A So. Cal Airports 

Orbx  A SoCal TE Custom

Orbx B  SoCal TE Overlay

Orbx  C SoCal  TE Orthos

Is this the right order?

Should the Orthos go much lower than since it is a mesh (isn't it)

Place the SoCal Airports above Global Airports, and the 3 SoCal files in sequence as you already have it, directly below Global Airports. Always keep the TE files together in the Custom/Overlay/Orthos sequence and all the TE series should be placed directly below Global Airports and above all other scenery addons. All 3rd party payware and freeware airports should be above Global Airports.

3 hours ago, GatorClay said:

Would this also apply to other Orbx scenery, like TE Florida - that is, does it matter which TE series is directly below Global Airports?

ALL Te series must be below Global Airports so no it doesn't matter which as it should be all, no exceptions.

Here is an extract of my scenery_packs.ini showing where the TE series of addons should be:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_US_SoCal_TE_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_US_SoCal_TE_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_SoCal_TE_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_North_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_North_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_North_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_D_GB_North_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_Central_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_Central_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_Central_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_US_Washington_TE_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_US_Washington_TE_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_Washington_TE_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_US_Oregon_TE_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_US_Oregon_TE_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_Oregon_TE_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_US_NoCal_TE_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_US_NoCal_TE_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_NoCal_TE_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_US_Florida_TE_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_US_Florida_TE_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_Florida_TE_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_LOWI_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_LOWI_DrapedOrthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_D_LOWI_Orthos/

Yeah I cant understand why adding some helipads would cause such a big frame hit. I assume the scenery would initially take longer to load during first start up, but other than that it just sounds strange. It's especially disappointing in an area like LA since there are so many cool rooftop helipads that would make for excellent tours around the flight. Isnt that what the TE and city scenery is all about? Such a shame that helicopter flying simming gets neglected like that.

Regarding my scenery.ini setup - think I got it as you described.  But still getting "floating houses" north of LA.  See pics.  I don't see this with other scenery installs.  Any comments/suggestions (and not a big deal - I guess if I fly higher it's not so noticeable)

floating houses LA - 2.png

floating houses LA - 3.png

Archived