Flying Across Africa - Amy Johnson

Mithras

Since I heard about LC Africa I’ve stayed away from the continent, and planned to recreate Amy Johnson’s 1933 flight to Capetown from England in a de Havilland Puss Moth. Now I’ve started it! A new flight in my home-built flight sim cockpit! Navigating by set headings and using a stopwatch, looking for rivers, roads, headlands, landmarks … no radio beacons or GPS. Get lost I run of fuel and go down – end of flight!

First flight to Paris had incredible turbulence over the Channel, trying to twist the De Havilland Puss Moth off course. And the headwind messed up all my maths for timings and fuel. But, after getting lost north of Paris, ended up circling the Eiffel Tower and landing at Le Bourget airfield. 

Success. The Sahara will be 10x difficult, I’m sure to go off course and wander off into the sand. Its all maths and map-reading!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try some screenshots here. My god, the LC Africa landclass scenery is gorgeous! I don't feel I am seeing any repeated textures, the Sahara in Algeria is a desolate but beautiful mix of colours, terrains, textures, dunes and cliffs ... absolutely incredible. I swapped the De Havilland Puss Moth for a Lockheed Electra at one stop over.   Wow and wow! 

Yof32yD.png

dzLKYLP.jpg

adLNAtH.jpg

Navigating is easier than I thought, I'm following the southward trending Trans Saharan Highway, and I've almost reached the Niger border. A few sand storms caught me off guard and visibility dropped dramatically .. 

9Z6XKu2.png

Archived