Unable to install True Earth on external drive

Dear Orbx Forum, 

this is my first post in this X-Plane forum regarding an issue that makes me ask for your help. A couple of days ago I took advantage of the Orbx Super Sale and purchased a couple of addons including True Earth GB South, True Earth Northern California HD, True Earth Oregon HD and True Earth Washington HD for X-Plane 11. As I new that these files will require a huge amount of disk space I decided to install these onto a new 2TB external hard drive and link the sceneries to my Custom Scenery folder via a shortcut. 

However a have lots of trouble installing the mentioned sceneries which failed to extract several files during the scenery installation process. As such, while loading a flight in one of the above mentioned regions, I get this error message that forces my simulator to close (see picture below for the case of Oregon). 

Now I have researched through several forum posts on this issue and tried a lot from the advices that were given to solve this problem. As it seems, this issue can occur in case of lack of space on the hard drive. I know that the hard drive on which my X-Plane 11 is installed, does not have enough disk space for all these sceneries, including their installation files (~350GB left) and that's also why I changed the location of the Orbx Temp folder and the Orbx Library folder onto my external 2TB drive. Another problem that occurs is that even when I click "Verify Files" after the installation process, Orbx central still fails to extract a large number of files which in result make X-Plane 11 crash again. I tried downloading and installing the files via Orbx Central, as well as manual download from the website - both failed.

Now what's really interesting here - I think I might have already tried 8 installations or so with these addons and they all failed - except for one scenario: I tried installing True Earth GB South onto my normal X-Plane hard drive (as it is the smallest file). Here, the installation worked perfectly for me, no issues, verfication of files was not a problem and the scenery was correctly displayed in the sim. As such, apparently my True Earth addons can be installed onto my normal C-hard drive but not onto my much larger new external drive. Other could be installed onto my external drive without any issue tough. 

Is there anyone who has encountered the same installation problem that I have or can help me with solving the issue? I would really like to get True Earth working on my external drive as, like mentioned, my C-hard drive where X-Plane 11 is located, is too small. 

I have attached a screenshot of the error message in X-Plane. I would like to post also the Orbx Log File but aparently with 19MB its already too large (or can I send it comewhere else?)... If there is anything else required, please let me know! 

Kind regards! 

1779712485_X-Plane2020-04-0810-22-29.thumb.png.c64241d42cf221f21eba6c8801ad8e75.png

X-Plane 2020-04-08 10-22-29.png

28 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Are you pointing the installation to your new Library via Orbx Central?

Have you pointed to the new Temp folder in Orbx Central/settings/downloader?

Have you cleared your Temp folder? How to do that is in the link:

Helly Jon, 

thanks for your quick reply! Yes, I can confirm that I have followed all the steps of your guideline prior to the installation process. I changed the location of the Temp folder via Orbx Central onto the external drive, cleared it and created a Library folder on the external drive as well in order to meet the disk space requirements. 

Kind regards

Please attach your Orbx Central log available via Orbx Central/settings/help after trying to install one of the addons into your new library.

Can we put this topic into the Orbx Central please as we need to see what the central support team can glean from the Central Log when it is attached@Nick Cooper

1 hour ago, Jon Clarke said:

Please attach your Orbx Central log available via Orbx Central/settings/help after trying to install one of the addons into your new library.

Can we put this topic into the Orbx Central please as we need to see what the central support team can glean from the Central Log when it is attached@Nick Cooper

Hello Jon, 

alright I will re-download and try to install True Earth Northern California HD in this case including the verification of files. Please give me a couple of hours, until the process is finished. I will attach the Log file afterwards.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Hi!

The installation process failed one time even after verifying the files. However, the log file is 47,5MB large, so I cannot post it here. Is there another way to send it? 

PS: attached you will see how many files fail to be extracted. It seems very large to me. Its about the same number also after verification.

True Earth NoCal Install Fail.jpg

Hello @Jon Clarke and @Nick Cooper

I have the same issue on Linux w/ X-PLANE and Florida, please share the resolution if there is one. I am getting "System.IO.IOException: No space left on device" but there is clearly enough space on the device /dev/sda1  Size 932G Used  260G Free  673G  28% /mnt/external Additional information is the file system is VFAT to provide interoperability between windows and Linux, could it be a limitation of the file system?

I attached a reduced log file.

Thank You! 

central.log

@Mitchell Williamson Hi. Please review this outstanding issue regarding the submitted Orbx central log in case there is something I have missed.

@condorpilot the error messages in your XP log indicate an incomplete installation, probably due to lack of required free disk space.

Please check this link and ensure you meet ALL the necessary requirements and make adjustments as/if required

18 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

@Mitchell Williamson Hi. Please review this outstanding issue regarding the submitted Orbx central log in case there is something I have missed.

@condorpilot the error messages in your XP log indicate an incomplete installation, probably due to lack of required free disk space.

Please check this link and ensure you meet ALL the necessary requirements and make adjustments as/if required

Hi Jon, 

as I have stated, I followed the advices from this link several times and I can exclude 100% that there is lack of disk space. As I mentioned, I am trying to install the True Earth sceneries on a fresh new external hard drive with 2TB of space. Also I configured Orbx Central to exactly do that. Temp folder is also moved to the external drive and cleared. For whatever reason, the programm is also always struggling to verify the files with thousands of files failing to extract.

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @condorpilot,

The error in your central.log file indicates the cause of the error.

2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] - System.IO.IOException: Das Verzeichnis oder die Datei kann nicht erstellt werden. : 'F:\Orbx Library\xp11\TrueEarth US Northern California HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_NoCal_TE_Orthos\textures\c6d0x51f0x17.jpg'
2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at System.IO.FileStream.CreateFileOpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Jobs.Install.MainSubStages.ExtractSubStage.ExtractChunk(InboundChunk chunk)

The translated 'The directory or file cannot be created' error only occurs when a limit of the filesystem format is reached. In this case, there a large number of files in TrueEarth US Northern California HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_NoCal_TE_Orthos\textures\ directory during the installation. If the external drive is formatted to use the FAT or FAT32 filesystem format its very likely the limits of this external device are being hit preventing any new files from being created.

If you wish to install to the external drive, the only permanent solution in the case is to reformat the drive to use a different filesystem format such as NTFS.

1 hour ago, Josh Koz said:

Hi @condorpilot,

The error in your central.log file indicates the cause of the error.

2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] - System.IO.IOException: Das Verzeichnis oder die Datei kann nicht erstellt werden. : 'F:\Orbx Library\xp11\TrueEarth US Northern California HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_NoCal_TE_Orthos\textures\c6d0x51f0x17.jpg'
2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at System.IO.FileStream.CreateFileOpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
2020-04-08T20:23:29.303Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Jobs.Install.MainSubStages.ExtractSubStage.ExtractChunk(InboundChunk chunk)

The translated 'The directory or file cannot be created' error only occurs when a limit of the filesystem format is reached. In this case, there a large number of files in TrueEarth US Northern California HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_NoCal_TE_Orthos\textures\ directory during the installation. If the external drive is formatted to use the FAT or FAT32 filesystem format its very likely the limits of this external device are being hit preventing any new files from being created.

If you wish to install to the external drive, the only permanent solution in the case is to reformat the drive to use a different filesystem format such as NTFS.

Hello Josh, 

thanks for taking the time to analyse my log file. I just checked which filesystem format my external drive is. And it is set to NTFS by default. Could there be another error?

Kind regards!

On 5/1/2020 at 5:21 AM, Josh Koz said:

Hi @condorpilot,

Here's an article which outlines some other reasons this error may occur as we'll as potential solutions.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/error-0x80070052.html

Hi Josh, 

I downloaded an external programme to change the format of the drive. It might really be that its still in FAT and needs to be changed to NTFS. I will run the process today and see if anything changes. Kind regards

Okay, so this seemed to have worked @Josh Koz! After re-formatting the external drive with a third-party programme from FAT32 to NTFS, the issue has been finally solved. After the first installation of TE Oregon, the programme still failed to convert a few files but just a few (not like 12.000 as it used to). After Orbx Central crashed twice during install and after verification of files it worked properly. I am expecting to see the same results now with my other TE products.

Thanks for your contribution and help @Josh Koz, @Jon Clarke, @Nick Cooper. I think we can mark this thread as closed. 

Archived