No XP Beta Support

Mawson

Orbx, I know you don't support BETA versions but the reality is I would say a majority of us grab the beta as soon ( maybe more than 50% ) as soon as it drops.

Maybe you could just have an open topic so we can add bugs so as users we know its not just us with the bug and maybe it might help Orbx debug for future releases.

After the framerate increase on Vulkan I'll live with the few bugs I am encountering but the only Orbx bug is a missing library but I just ignore it and I can't see it causing any obvious problems.

I think the "no beta support" is a sound decision for any software company.  The only reason 11.50 is such a big deal is due to the framerate improvement.  If Orbx said they would support beta builds, then they'd be tied to that even after 11.50 and there would be more complaints and issues as people try out beta builds and complain that Orbx doesn't work with a **beta** version of a product.

An exception for 11.50 would certainly be useful and knowing if something is a bug or an error in our XP install would be beneficial.

Hello,

I saw a frame rate leap of 3 fps and a refusal to work at all in a maximised window.

I have reverted to the standard version.

I think that we should stick to the policy of no support for the beta versions but that

does not preclude answering Tony's questions, it just precludes providing fixes.

Until the beta becomes the release version, there is really no telling what may happen

next and fixing something to fit a beta is never a good idea.

That's interesting Nick, because I noticed much the same! I installed a fresh copy of the basic installation only and  with the default scenery I was experiencing about 20% improvement in frame rates.

However quite a few aircraft and plugins failed to operate correctly.

I could crank up objects, shadows, reflection and AA on this basic installation so that was good. Then after adding back the TE products I had to reduce graphic settings again, the net result being a minimal fps increase.

I think it really depends a lot on the hardware in the system to a large extent  as it has always done with xPlane. It was good to experiment though and meanwhile I'll go back to OpenGL and my VR headset with very acceptable performance. 

5 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jon,

it's probably because I just allowed Steam to update it, rather than make a whole new installation.

Either way, it looks like it's not ready for daily use yet, even as a beta version.

Hi Nick, could you share your hardware setup, most of us have seen North of 20% and some have shown 40% measured and displayed on youtube,

Your Orbx Scenery is suddenly even better because of the increased framerates , Boy you are missing out as Orbx has never looked so bloody good in Xplane.

I was not suggesting Beta Support just a place where users could share our issues with bugs and maybe you guys could use them for future releases as there is no way I will ever be going back to open GL. Its dead. 

What I do know is its very VRAM sensitive and it uses nearly 11GB in VR and you cant have anything else using the card in the background or you get a CTD as VRAM overloads.

19 hours ago, SimFlyer15 said:

I think the "no beta support" is a sound decision for any software company.  The only reason 11.50 is such a big deal is due to the framerate improvement.  If Orbx said they would support beta builds, then they'd be tied to that even after 11.50 and there would be more complaints and issues as people try out beta builds and complain that Orbx doesn't work with a **beta** version of a product.

An exception for 11.50 would certainly be useful and knowing if something is a bug or an error in our XP install would be beneficial.

I was just suggesting  a place where users could share reports of bugs not beta build support.

4 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

That's interesting Nick, because I noticed much the same! I installed a fresh copy of the basic installation only and  with the default scenery I was experiencing about 20% improvement in frame rates.

However quite a few aircraft and plugins failed to operate correctly.

I could crank up objects, shadows, reflection and AA on this basic installation so that was good. Then after adding back the TE products I had to reduce graphic settings again, the net result being a minimal fps increase.

I think it really depends a lot on the hardware in the system to a large extent  as it has always done with xPlane. It was good to experiment though and meanwhile I'll go back to OpenGL and my VR headset with very acceptable performance. 

I am running and I9 9900k OC to 5.3 GHZ and 32 GB 3200 Ram , M2 drives and a eVGA GeForce RTX2080Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 11GB GDDR6 iCX2 . Xplane using Vulcan needs 11GB or VRam or you wont see a great improvement as you need to turn everything down or you run out of VRAM and it defaults back to Open Gl.

2 hours ago, Mawson said:

Xplane using Vulcan needs 11GB or VRam or you wont see a great improvement as you need to turn everything down or you run out of VRAM and it defaults back to Open Gl.

This statement could NOT be further from the truth. Maybe readers should take a few minutes to read what the developer says about what XP simmers should expect with certain hardware when they choose to upgrade to Vulkan. There are several videos that explain everything.

10 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jon,

it's probably because I just allowed Steam to update it, rather than make a whole new installation.

Either way, it looks like it's not ready for daily use yet, even as a beta version.

I have now persuaded Steam to install a new and virgin version of the beta.

I see a frame rate increase from 32 to 44 with Vulcan enabled in the same scenario.

27 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I see a frame rate increase from 32 to 44 with Vulcan enabled in the same scenario.

Excellent....bugs and all...........just don't come here for support:lol:

11 hours ago, Mawson said:

Xplane using Vulcan needs 11GB or VRam or you wont see a great improvement as you need to turn everything down or you run out of VRAM and it defaults back to Open Gl.

False.  I'm on a GTX 1070 and using the same settings, I am getting much better fps, 40+ now when it used to struggle with maintaining 30fps.

10 hours ago, SimFlyer15 said:

False.  I'm on a GTX 1070 and using the same settings, I am getting much better fps, 40+ now when it used to struggle with maintaining 30fps.

Winning well done and how good is it!

17 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Try a nice Country aerodrome and with my rig Orbx aerodromes look stunning beyond what I ever expected.

17 hours ago, SimFlyer15 said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic and rude there

No we are now all winning, a great improvement, I was not being sarcastic, its good to be winning when it comes to frame rates after no improvements for years.

Sorry about that.... written medium and all.

I agree, it's great to have more fps and I've even increased my settings a bit with little fps hit.  Unfortunately I had to give up some goodies like shader and Orbx airports but I hope that will be fixed soon.

Following on from my post above I have just scared myself silly. :rolleyes:

Having failed to work properly in VR and not experiencing much difference in FPS, I had given up. Aircraft failed to work and AVI Tab and Reality GTN were just showing an empty window etc. Not to mention crashing to desktop intermittently.

So I mothballed it and then last night in bed I had my "Damascus" moment.

Although I had disabled SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel, xPlane was still noticing the card was there and grumbling. So I went into Device Manager on the pooter and disabled it under the hardware tab. I then re-fired xPlane and loaded up my local airport (EGNM). Previously using moderate settings I was getting 30 FPS  depending on the plane (I only fly GA); under my new Vulkan I was getting 55-65 FPS very comfortably. And this was with a "high" setting. All with Orbx'x TE loaded at high, AA set to 4x and objects at high.

Oh and VR works really, really well although hangs on exit more often than not, but I can live with that.

Scared myself silly because I looked out the window and really thought I was flying - genuine vertigo as I looked around because the scenery suddenly came alive and took me unawares. It's as if I could feel the wind under me wings! I now:

Fly like a bird in the sky, eye-eye-eye...

Well I'm happy anyway, sorry if anyone else is still struggling.

17 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Following on from my post above I have just scared myself silly. :rolleyes:

Having failed to work properly in VR and not experiencing much difference in FPS, I had given up. Aircraft failed to work and AVI Tab and Reality GTN were just showing an empty window etc. Not to mention crashing to desktop intermittently.

So I mothballed it and then last night in bed I had my "Damascus" moment.

Although I had disabled SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel, xPlane was still noticing the card was there and grumbling. So I went into Device Manager on the pooter and disabled it under the hardware tab. I then re-fired xPlane and loaded up my local airport (EGNM). Previously using moderate settings I was getting 30 FPS  depending on the plane (I only fly GA); under my new Vulkan I was getting 55-65 FPS very comfortably. And this was with a "high" setting. All with Orbx'x TE loaded at high, AA set to 4x and objects at high.

Oh and VR works really, really well although hangs on exit more often than not, but I can live with that.

Scared myself silly because I looked out the window and really thought I was flying - genuine vertigo as I looked around because the scenery suddenly came alive and took me unawares. It's as if I could feel the wind under me wings! I now:

Fly like a bird in the sky, eye-eye-eye...

Well I'm happy anyway, sorry if anyone else is still struggling.

I don't care about the bugs that's why I started this thread , I can live with them its so darn good in VR . I "aint" ever going back and I have done ZERO tweaking ….VR is simply stunning in Orbx now. Just though we could start a user beta bug thread so we know when we have a special bug :)

22 hours ago, SimFlyer15 said:

Sorry about that.... written medium and all.

I agree, it's great to have more fps and I've even increased my settings a bit with little fps hit.  Unfortunately I had to give up some goodies like shader and Orbx airports but I hope that will be fixed soon.

Year no worries so much sarcasm and rudeness on here at times . I was just being brief as I was so happy . Its good winning for a change isn't it?

Well, I wasn't really "losing" with 11.41 per se and was quite happy puttering about the countryside.  Made a mistake doing a flight from Southampton to Stapleford and didn't realize I was going to fly directly over London and had to bump down World Objects from Max to High as it went down to mid- to low-20s.  Just did another flight last night although I didn't fly directly over London but skirted just outside it (I can still see it clearly just off the right wing) and got mid-30s framerates under 11.50 so very happy with that.

Just missing my shaders though as XP11 really looks washed out again :(

Not quite missing my airports as I don't fly into Orbx airports that much but my main hub is EGHI and I had to choose between airport textures vs. the "alive" feeling of watching road traffic move along as I come in to runway 02.

16 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I think that you are mistaken if you believe that.

Refering to chat rooms in general being here "the net and its millions of forums" not Orbx, this is a commercial forum and consequently well moderated. Not every forum is like this.

17 hours ago, SimFlyer15 said:

Well, I wasn't really "losing" with 11.41 per se and was quite happy puttering about the countryside.  Made a mistake doing a flight from Southampton to Stapleford and didn't realize I was going to fly directly over London and had to bump down World Objects from Max to High as it went down to mid- to low-20s.  Just did another flight last night although I didn't fly directly over London but skirted just outside it (I can still see it clearly just off the right wing) and got mid-30s framerates under 11.50 so very happy with that.

Just missing my shaders though as XP11 really looks washed out again :(

Not quite missing my airports as I don't fly into Orbx airports that much but my main hub is EGHI and I had to choose between airport textures vs. the "alive" feeling of watching road traffic move along as I come in to runway 02.

Being a helicopter flyer the improved frame rates are revolutionary in VR and I spend a lot of time in the nice Orbx country airports which with improved frame rates are spectacular in VR.

15 hours ago, SimFlyer15 said:

What VR are you using?  I'll need to dig up my Vive somewhere, but since the PC is in a hard-to-reach spot, I'm too lazy to do gymnastics and yoga to get everything connected.

I am using a Vive Pro and I also have a Vive. I like both as the Vive is better for just flying fast down valleys as it had a better FPS than the pro but having said that the new 11.50 in the Pro is so smooth.

Really enjoying belting around low level in Orbx scenaries and glad I bought the higher res versions now.

You will be amazed.

Archived