LEBB - why is performance so dreadful?

Yesterday I flew into Bilbao from Lisbon. Taxiing out at Lisbon was fine. FPS locked at 30 with 70+ Ai aircraft in an 80nm bubble. But on final approach into LEBB the frame rate dropped to the mid teens and there was a lot of stuttering.

Today I departed LEBB for Barcelona and again, on the take-off run (Rwy 30) the fps dropped to the teens but as soon as I was airborne it recovered to 30 and stayed there. I was flying an Xtreme Prototypes Learjet 25. Not that hungry otherwise all airports would be a problem.

You can see from my sig I have a powerful PC and this type of performance is not seen at any other 3rd party airport I own and they include Heathrow Professional and Madrid Pro.

Is it because of the huge size of the photo-realistic scenery files? But LEBL also has that type of scenery and that doesn't suffer the same.

I hope you can help he get better performance. As things stand this airport is off the schedule until performance improves.

Oh sorry, I misread your message.

We have actually had some reports on people having issues with LEBB just when they are at the ground but not as soon as they get airborn.

This is something I've really wanted to check out more but as we havent been able to replicate that issue I have been asking the people with the issue if they can do some troubleshooting so we can narrow down what file/files is causing this drop? So far not a single user has been up to that task sadly.

I understand customers expect us to get rid of all issues on our own but please also understand that there are a million different setups with different addons and sometimes things just occur on some single users computers and we cant replicate it, in those cases it is impossible for us to do anything about it unless these users helps out. 

Note that this is not general bad performance, then we suggest lowering visual settings and unticking LEBB options. This is for when you have good FPS on final approach, right on departure, but litteraly just when you are on ground at the airport. If that fits your experience and you would have time to help us try to find why some few users have this issue I would be happy to try to fix it!

6 minutes ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

Hi!

have you deactivated all options for LEBB in the config tool?

autogen drawing distance, dynamic reflections and shadow settings and high AA settings can also reduce performance.

cheers

marcus

Hi Marcus. No, only two are disabled one being for static vehicles. In the User Guide it showed the settings for a high-end PC and mine closely match those. I shouldn’t have to disable anything given the size of this airport and the power of my PC.

14fps on takeoff is ridiculous when it’s nearly double at Heathrow with 100 Ai aircraft showing. There were less than 10 at Bilbao.

Just now, Marcus Nyberg said:

Oh sorry, I misread your message.

We have actually had some reports on people having issues with LEBB just when they are at the ground but not as soon as they get airborn.

This is something I've really wanted to check out more but as we havent been able to replicate that issue I have been asking the people with the issue if they can do some troubleshooting so we can narrow down what file/files is causing this drop?

Note that this is not general bad performance, then we suggest lowering visual settings and unticking LEBB options. This is for when you have good FPS on final approach, right on departure, but litteraly just when you are on ground at the airport. If that fits your experience and you would have time to help us try to find why some few users have this issue I would be happy to try to fix it!

Please disregard my last post. I hadn’t read this one. Yes, happy to help as your description matches what happened. 14fps on takeoff run but 30 as soon as the wheels leave the ground. Bizarre!

Thank you so much Ray,

I understand this will take some time for you to perform and I'm sorry about that. As a small sign of gratitude I can offer you a copy of LEAS & ESGG, if you dont own them already that is, for making the effort and helping out.

Please also do the first ones on the checklist as well so we can rule out that no other addon is causing it. Some addons sneak in custom files for airports that you wouldn't have guessed, this is a repeating issue popping up for my airports every now and then, especially AI addons.

First of all:

1. If not done so, uninstall the scenery, make sure the LEBB folder is removed from P3D/Orbx/FTX_GLOBAL/

2. Check what frames you get at LEBB now

3. Reinstall the scenery

If you already did the reinstallation, please go to your scenery library and untick the scenery from the list and check the frames and report back.

4. Send me screenshots of your P3D visual settings.

Also

1. If you are running ANY AI addon tool, please make sure that is not causing the issue. A few of the major ones are adding their own data for airports which WILL cause an issue and most be disabled manually.

2. If you are running any other scenery that may in any way conflict with LEBB, please let me know.

Then let's do this:

1. Turn off all options in the config tool for LEBB. Try it in the simulator and see what frames you are getting. I assume you will still have an issue, otherwise congratulations!. I need to know if the FPS-loss is permanent all over the scenery or just at the airport. Do you have the same experience a few miles off when on approach?

2. Go to your SODE-folder at probably located at C:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE\xml and move ORBX_LEBB.xml to another folder that is outside the SODE / P3D folder structure so its not active.

Then go to C:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE\SimObjects and move the folder ORBX_LEBB to another folder that is outside the SODE / P3D folder structure so its not active.

Try starting P3D and see if this helped, otherwise move on to the next step. You can let the files be left in their temporary folders as long.

3. Might it be the terrain that is causing it? Let's start with disabling everything involving terrain.

Try moving the following files and place them in a folder outside of P3D so they are not active.

000_excludedefault.bgl

000_harbour_exclude.bgl

000_harbour_fix.bgl

000_z_exclude_lights.bgl

0_Hole.bgl

a_bilbao_mesh_1.bgl

CVX_A_LEBB_Flattens_CVX.bgl

CVX_flatten.bgl

CVX_flatten_harbour_river.bgl

CVX_LEBB_Water_EXL.bgl

CVX_PROJECT.bgl

CVX_roads.bgl

e_Bilbao_Mesh_10m_1.bgl -> e_Bilbao_Mesh_10m_5.bgl (all files in between)

exclude_stream.bgl

flatten.bgl

flatten_51m.bgl

flattens_harbour.bgl

LEBB_ADEP3_MN_CVX.bgl

LEBB_ADEP4_SL_NoStatics.bgl/off

LEBB_ADEP4_SL_Statics.bgl/off

Did your FPS turn up to more normal levels now?

If so, try adding the files again, one by one. You must restart between adding files, this is important. 

Let me know what file is causing your performance drop.

3. If that didn't help. Let's move the files that adds the satellite imagery and ground details:

Bilbao_30cm,bgl

Bilbao_60cm_A1.bgl -> Bilbao_60cm_B3.bgl (all files in between)

Bilbao_PS_1m_Approach.bgl

LEBB_PLC_Oil.bgl

LEBB_Rain_GP_P3D.bgl

ORBX_LEBB_GP_P3D_Objectflow.xml

LEBB_GP_LIB_P3D.bgl

If so, try adding the files again, one by one. You must restart between adding files, this is important. 

4. If not, let's remove the buildings as well:

ALL files namned something with:

LEBB_2018_XXXXXXX.bgl

LEBB_2019_XXXXXXX.bgl

@Marcus Nyberg, I won’t be able to do this until tomorrow now. The testing seems straight forward enough. The nearest airports are Madrid, Barcelona and Toulouse, France. Doubt any of those are responsible.

Easy enough to turn off AIG’s Ai package and again, no problems elsewhere with that enabled. Such a strange bug that clears itself after takeoff. The stutters started around 4 miles out from Rwy 30.  Very unexpected.

More tomorrow and thanks for the kind offer but I don’t need those airports. :)

This topic has been raised already by others few times. So far there is no fix, so I stopped flying to Bilbao. Before last patch everything was OK. I just installed a fresh copy of P3dv4 with only Global, vector, Open-lc and LEBB and FPS are still really bad (especially during the landing) comparing to other Orbx airports. 

Thanks

19 minutes ago, rafgath said:

This topic has been raised already by others few times. So far there is no fix, so I stopped flying to Bilbao. Before last patch everything was OK. I just installed a fresh copy of P3dv4 with only Global, vector, Open-lc and LEBB and FPS are still really bad (especially during the landing) comparing to other Orbx airports. 

Thanks

Then by definition it has to be a file or files in the latest release causing it. No point just giving up. Try the steps outlined above and let's see if we can nail it.

The difference between the previous version and new one is basically like a v1 and v2, which was a great step forward for most users. Completely new ground, updated textures in general and 200 custom house types to cover a almost complete custom approach. From what i have registered a few users have performance issues at the airport that doesnt seem logical and i have been very eager to help solve this if we can just track where the fault lies. As no user affected by the issue has agreed to help i have not been able to do anything. I am very pleased that Ray has agreed to step in and help out so we can reach a solution.

53 minutes ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

The difference between the previous version and new one is basically like a v1 and v2, which was a great step forward for most users. Completely new ground, updated textures in general and 200 custom house types to cover a almost complete custom approach. From what i have registered a few users have performance issues at the airport that doesnt seem logical and i have been very eager to help solve this if we can just track where the fault lies. As no user affected by the issue has agreed to help i have not been able to do anything. I am very pleased that Ray has agreed to step in and help out so we can reach a solution.

I really appreciate your help, but seriously have no idea where the problem is. I tried everything in topic below but without success.

Hi Marcus,

Test of LEBB v1.1

• Xtreme prototypes Lear 25 on Rwy 30. Take-off run fps was around 23fps. As soon as wheels leave ground 30fps which is then maintained during climbout.
  • Uninstalled LEBB. 30 fps both on take-off and airborne.
  • Reinstall LEBB. Verify files. All OK.
  • FPS on take-off run around 23-25. Once airborne they rise to 30 in a couple of seconds. See screenshot of graph showing fps readout for take-off run

Screenshots of settings attached.

I am running Alpha India Group's Ai Package of Ai aircraft but have no problem with performance at very busy airports like EGLL. Aircraft are limited to 100 using FSUIPC5. There were less than 12 at LEBB.

Nearest airports are LEMD, LFBO and LEBL. No problems with slow performance at those.

With all options in LEBB disabled the fps was still 23 on take-off run and 30 once airborne. Turning those off had no impact. The problem is not with those settings.

Next, I tried taking off on 30 and flying a left-hand circuit. After take-off I turned left onto 210 for a couple of minutes then left onto 120 for the downwind leg until 10DME from the BLV VOR (115.90). Climbed to 4,500ft. When abeam the FAF I turned left onto 030 and then 325 for an intercept course for the ILS Rwy 30.

The approach fps was fine with only a couple of stutters but 30fps was maintained virtually all the way in. I did a touch and go and repeated the circuit. Although I was concentrated on landing the approach was fine but I noticed as I landed the graph I have running showed a drop in fps presumably when the wheels touched down But then fps soon recovered as I brought the aircraft to a halt on the runway. See Appraoch&Landing.jpg.

What to learn from this? If the scenery remains in memory by flying circuits the problem is very much minimised. It's when flying into the airport or departing from it the problems start.

My installed addons for P3D v4.5 are:-

FTX Global

Ultimate Terrain X for Europe, USA and Caribbean.

Many airports from UK2000, FlyTampa, LatinVFR, Aerosoft, FSDT and Flightbeam.

I do NOT have Vector or any openLC products from Orbx.

Hope that helps. I'll not continue the testing you asked until you've had time to think about this. It's certainly unique in fps problems I've come across.

LEBB_TakeOffRun.jpg

Options_4.jpg

Options_3.jpg

Options_2.jpg

Options_1.jpg

Approach&Landing.jpg

10 minutes ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

Hey thanks for the testing!

But now I'm confused. Yesterday you said you had 30 as soon as you took off and 14 before. 

In this report it's roughly 23 on take off and then 30 once airborn?

And you have 30 with default scenery?

The 14fps on approach yesterday was when flying in from Lisbon. All the scenery files needed loading whilst I was airborne. Hence the very stuttery performance.

Today’s testing was with the aircraft on Rwy 30 loaded from a saved scenario. So I’m guessing loading all the scenery files before P3D was ready minimised the impact hence the higher fps of 23.

Yes, with the airport uninstalled fps remained at 30 whilst on the ground and airborne.

I use Nvidia Control Panel to limit fps to 30 for P3D whilst the refresh rate for my monitor remains at 60Hz for mouse movement etc.

That test flight anf fps was fine until landing when the fps dropped significantly. See the attached graph. I used the Instant Replay feature for the landing and slow down. There were two runs of it. You can see the first drop of fps is when the wheels touch down and the frame rate then recovers for a short period whilst I engage reverse thrust. But as the aircraft slows the fps drop again. The two replays show an identical result. That grey vertical line shows where the instant replay end and starts again.

There is a short lag capturing the info on a WideFS PC. Definitely an issue when touching down. Can you not replicate any of this yourself? If not that is baffling. What is your system spec?

InstantReplay.jpg

16 minutes ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

Great, thanks for doing further testing.

These shows a drop to 23 again and then up to 30 and ending at roughly 27 maybe? Am I reading it correct?

Yes, correct. Here's another graph starting around 6 miles out. The first drop in fps occurs around 3 miles out and then recovers briefly until landing at which point the fps drops and rarely recovers back to 30. The light grey dots indicate the instantaneous reading which dropped as low as 17 as I landed.

That was landing on 30, exiting at C5 and backtracking along T5 and entering the apron at B and parking at 19 by the Bilbao sign.

I saved that scenario 5 miles out so will fly it again and see how the performance compares to the short flight from Vitoria.

LandExitAndTaxi.jpg

Great!

So from what I've seen in this initial testing it seems quite alright. And looking at the graph you even hit 30 most of the time even at the airport and have some bumps when it goes down to 23, which is not that bad either.

It is hard to compare airports with airports, EGLL (from various developers) for instance is made with a very different level of detail and has a different target purpose than LEBB. We have not been sparse on details and as it is a smaller airport we have also made it more complex in general as there has been room for that. The airport is located in a dense area, and we have hundreds of custom houses and adjustments on both approaches, plus highly detailed terminal and GSE equipment and ground effects and a very complex terrain to load as well.

What you seem to be struggling with is loading stutters?

What I can do is to make a package for you where I downgrade all textures for LEBB so you have less to load which should probably reduce the loading stutters. There are quite a lot of high resolution textures and reducing them in size will make it significantly less to load.

The issue I thought we were looking at was:

• Unexplainable drop in fps when on ground at LEBB but not in the air.
  • The performance does not recover as long as on ground
  • The performance is good in air
  • The difference in performance is significant.

You have 30, which you have locked your frames to, when in air & when on ground except that it drops when loading. That is nothing as what we were discussing. 

I’ll have a package ready for hopefully in the weekend :)

And oh yes sorry I am running 4.5, just haven't updated my signature.

Regards,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Yes, overall performance is fine when airborne apart from the times when scenery is being loaded. Hard to work out why it's relatively poor on ground. I'm going to try a circuit around ESSA which is a larger download so might prove an interesting comparison.

Look forward to trying the new version. Hopefully it will make a difference because I have a pretty fast PC.

For sure, you have a power beast. Even better than mine!

My sim would be a slide show having shadows to ultra and running in the resolution you are, so I am very impressed you manage go run EGLL with that on :)

As for ESSA, I am of course happy if that works fine with you but there is no similarities at all between these airports for comparsion.

Hi,

Here is a texture downgrade package for the LEBB Bilbao, plus some further advice on how to increase performance.

This is for P3Dv4 only.

Instructions:

1. Extract the files in the texture folder to LEBB Bilbao Airport\Orbx\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_AA_LEBB\Texture. Replace when asked.

2. Extract the file in the scenery folder to LEBB Bilbao Airport\Orbx\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_AA_LEBB\Scenery.

3. Change ORBX_LEBB_GP_P3D_Objectflow.xml in the scenery folder to ORBX_LEBB_GP_P3D_Objectflow.OFF.

This will reduce basically all textures in size and remove some ground effects that are triggered by ObjectFlow.

Download link:

LEBB Bilbao Texture Downgrade Package

For further performance improvements:

Step 1.

Uncheck all options in the config tool for Bilbao, especially Grass & City ambient light is important.

Step 2 (Optional).

You can also choose to deactivate some features currently not available as options in the Config Tool.

By changing the name from .bgl to .OFF for the following files you may see a performance increase. Please note that you will loose some detail around the airport and on approach.

LEBB_2018_PLC_InstantScenery_Buildings_XXm.bgl -> .OFF

LEBB_PLC_Fences_1.bgl -> .OFF

LEBB_PLC_Fences_2.bg l-> .OFF

LEBB_PLC_Fences_3.bgl -> .OFF

In my own testing following these steps led to a substantial performance increase. You will loose some details, but if performance currently is an issue this is for sure worth giving a shot.

If this does not solve your stutters and/or general performance or you prefere the details, I advice you to lower your prepar3d settings, especially shadow quality should have an impact.

Other than that, I wish you good luck and that you are keeping safe in these Corona times.

Regards,

Marcus

5 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Not here.

It extracts without comment.

Perhaps Marcus has already replaced it.

27 minutes ago, RayProudfoot said:

Marcus,

Thanks but rar extract is requesting a password. UNABLE TO EXTRACT CONTENTS. Please provide in a zip.

I have not put any password on it.

Hi  Marcus,

I had reported this problem of fps to LEBB in a post of February 9 and in my case the solution was to reduce   AA: 8xMSAA in the configuration of P3D even if compared to all the other scenarios Orbx airport and ... not only that, I can use  AA: 8xSSAA then I read this post and I have been in...quarantine for over a month now  I did what you suggested to Ray  but getting the same results .

After some tests I point out that by putting .OFF the files LEBB_GP_P3D.BGL and LEBB_GP_LIB.BGL   the fps return stable at 40 as for the other Orbx scenarios.

What I notice is that the runway  and taxiways textures disappear.

If I put .BGL one or the other of the two files, the textures return but there is the degradation of the fps.

Ciao Marcus from a ... sad Italy  but I recommend ... "STAY HOME" and together we will defeat this monster!

Roberto

8 hours ago, robpol471 said:
Hi  Marcus,

I had reported this problem of fps to LEBB in a post of February 9 and in my case the solution was to reduce   AA: 8xMSAA in the configuration of P3D even if compared to all the other scenarios Orbx airport and ... not only that, I can use  AA: 8xSSAA then I read this post and I have been in...quarantine for over a month now  I did what you suggested to Ray  but getting the same results .

After some tests I point out that by putting .OFF the files LEBB_GP_P3D.BGL and LEBB_GP_LIB.BGL   the fps return stable at 40 as for the other Orbx scenarios.

What I notice is that the runway  and taxiways textures disappear.

If I put .BGL one or the other of the two files, the textures return but there is the degradation of the fps.

Ciao Marcus from a ... sad Italy  but I recommend ... "STAY HOME" and together we will defeat this monster!

Roberto

Hey, 

Yes, it's a very hard time for the world right now. Especially in Italy I've understood that you are facing incredible challenges. We have not reached our peak yet in Sweden but I'm sure April will be a nightmare for our society.

Good that we have something to spend our time on while being at home to keep our minds distracted.

So I was just preparing to send you the ground for Bilbao from our initial version, pre the service pack in other words. Figured as you said it all worked fine in the first release version then we could simply revert you back to that version for the ground.

But then I read your message again.

And I'm not sure if you mistyped?

It says in your message: "by putting .OFF the files LEBB_GP_P3D.BGL "

That file is not included in the latest release but only in the initial release. So either:

1. Your installation is corrupt and you are running two versions of LEBB at the same time, that would for sure cause a huge issue.

2. You meant to write LEBB_2019_GP_P3D.bgl and in that case meant the file I attached to this thread?

If you can just quickly clearify this would be great :)

Cheers,

Marcus

Alright,

I think you mentioned earlier that the previous version of LEBB worked fine for you and if its the ground at the airport that causes your issues I've attached a file that will give you the old ground instead from the initial LEBB release. It will be a drawback in quality and may contain other issues, but if you prefer higher AA-settings then this can for sure be a solution for you.

Just keep the files off that you mentioned, and add these files instead and you should get the old ground back in the simulator.

Strongly do not recommend anyone doing this that are not suffering from big performance issues.

Prior to doing this I advice anyone reading this with similar issues to first download the texture downgrade package and follow the rest of the advices given in that post (higher up in this conversation) and/or adjust your P3D settings.

Download:

HERE

Installation instuctions:

1) Open Orbx Central and head to the configuration tool for Bilbao. Uncheck "Statics Terminal". This step is crucial. You are free, and recommended, to uncheck more options to obtain higher frames, but the statics must be unchecked.

2) Navigate to: Orbx Installation folder\P3Dv4\LEBB Bilbao Airport\Orbx\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_AA_LEBB\Scenery
3) Change ORBX_LEBB_GP_P3D_Objectflow.xml in the scenery folder to ORBX_LEBB_GP_P3D_Objectflow.OFF

(If you have already added the files from the troubleshooting earlier in this thread then also set LEBB_2019_GP_P3D.BGL to LEBB_2019_GP_P3D.OFF or simply remove the file)

4) Add the attached files from the scenery folder to the scenery folder and the file in the texture folder to the texture folder of FTX_AA_LEBB. Replace when asked.

I have not tested this without Dynamic Lights enabled and can not guarantee the absence of other issues by doing this fusion-mix of versions of LEBB. No further adjustments will be made.

Take care everyone, :)

Regards,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I made your change and LEBB is now  OK!  with good and stable fps both on the ground and in takeoff / landing.

The only difference I notice are the runway textures which are similar to those used in Orbx ESSA while I didn't notice any differences in the rest of the scenario.

In thanking you for your kind and ... quick solution for this problem at LEBB I renew to all my appeal to " STAY AT HOME "
also for...

" To fly ... ho ... ho
     To sing ... ho ... ho
     In the blue, painted blue
     Happy to stay up there,
     And I flew and flew
     Happy, higher than the sun
     And yet more up,
     While the world
     Slowly dissappered down below,
     A sweet music playing
     Just for me