Downloads. Orbx Central=agonizingly slow, Manual download=blistering. Thoughts?

ThrottleUp

Hello friends,

I just fitted a new SSD to my PC and busy installing my Orbx goodies. As I've stated some time ago the new Orbx Central is exemplary in design and takes a lot of the headache away of managing multiple products and keeping them updated. So well done on that front team :)

However - I am just curious as to why download speeds are so slow from Orbx Central but downloading the same file manually (as I did with Google Chrome) makes it scream down the pipe.

NA Pacific Northwest as an example:

• With Orbx Central I'm getting 28.44kb/s (yes..kilo bits)
  • With manual download of the same file I'm getting 3MB/s

So while the Orbx download was pottering along I can manual-download 3 or 4 other products and the single download from Orbx Central is still trundling along. Its not a big deal for me because thank goodness for the links to the file itself that we can use our browser to grab. If it wasn't for that then it would be a massive overnight job (leave PC on).

Just wanted to hear others thoughts on why this might be :)

• Like 1

My experience with NA Central Rockies...

Started out at 4.75 Mb/s, lasted about 5 mins, then a rapid decent (no speed brakes) over the next 30 mins to a crawling 258 Kb/s.

That was pretty painful for 2.6Gb D/L !!!

PS: My broadband HFC D/L speed test is ~47.7 Mb/s+, so what's up with the ORBX server?

Edited by GullWings
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately, Orbx will never solve this problem. Actually, I get 50-145 kb/sec download "speed" with Orbx Central, which is very annoying, while other platforms, like AS One or Contrail, provide reliably superfast download speeds on my 250 MB/sec internet connection. Pretty disappointing.

• Like 1

Many topics in the support forums to read. Basically the answer is almost all problems have been outside the control of Orbx and appear to be ISPs and other Internet gatekeepers are responsible for throttling Orbx Central downloads. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 6:23 PM, ThrottleUp said:

Hello friends,

I just fitted a new SSD to my PC and busy installing my Orbx goodies. As I've stated some time ago the new Orbx Central is exemplary in design and takes a lot of the headache away of managing multiple products and keeping them updated. So well done on that front team :)

However - I am just curious as to why download speeds are so slow from Orbx Central but downloading the same file manually (as I did with Google Chrome) makes it scream down the pipe.

NA Pacific Northwest as an example:

• With Orbx Central I'm getting 28.44kb/s (yes..kilo bits)
  • With manual download of the same file I'm getting 3MB/s

So while the Orbx download was pottering along I can manual-download 3 or 4 other products and the single download from Orbx Central is still trundling along. Its not a big deal for me because thank goodness for the links to the file itself that we can use our browser to grab. If it wasn't for that then it would be a massive overnight job (leave PC on).

Just wanted to hear others thoughts on why this might be :)

Me too. We're talking days not hours here. Sounds like you managed to do it manually instead manually. Can you tell me how you did it?

• Like 1

I too am suddenly experiencing horrible download experiences with Orbx Central. I will start to download and install a file, and it will complete about 70-75% and then stop downloading. I will let it sit and sit, and nothing happens. I exit OC, restart and it will initially start to download again from where it left off, and then stop downloading all together again. I have 1Ghz fiber optic download speed at my residence, and it downloads anywhere from 800Mhz to 1.1 Ghz depending on time of day. More then enough bandwidth. I have been a user of Orbx Central since it was first released and never have had this problem. An no, my ISP is not throttling  anything, unless they specifically don't like Orbx and are targeting OC specifically. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

An no, my ISP is not throttling  anything, unless they specifically don't like Orbx and are targeting OC specifically. 

And therein is the crux of the matter.  It's probably not your ISP, it's probably somewhere further up the pipe.  It can even be a corrupted file in a server or routing junction that causes the download to reset to a lower speed, even a ridiculously lower speed like you're experiencing.

Have you tried a VPN?  Some users report success using that service.  Otherwise all I can suggest is that most of these problems seem to go away after a day or so as the servers all get reset every 48 hours I believe, and hang tight.

You could also submit a support ticket so the Orbx staff can be alerted to your problem.  I doubt there's anything they can do, because if it was an OC server problem we'd have hundreds or thousands of users experiencing the problem.

8 hours ago, John Dow said:

And therein is the crux of the matter.  It's probably not your ISP, it's probably somewhere further up the pipe.  It can even be a corrupted file in a server or routing junction that causes the download to reset to a lower speed, even a ridiculously lower speed like you're experiencing.

Have you tried a VPN?  Some users report success using that service.  Otherwise all I can suggest is that most of these problems seem to go away after a day or so as the servers all get reset every 48 hours I believe, and hang tight.

You could also submit a support ticket so the Orbx staff can be alerted to your problem.  I doubt there's anything they can do, because if it was an OC server problem we'd have hundreds or thousands of users experiencing the problem.

Well, what you suggest it definitely a possibility and there is no way I would know what's going on further down the pipeline. I can say that in the meantime, I can download large files whilst streaming in 4k, whilst another user in my house is also streaming in 4k and without any network slowing that affects the streaming, or my ability to download large files from other  sources. I have a built a very robust network environment in my home (I am retired and have the time to do such project...lol) to ensure that these kinds of issues are mitigated as much as possible. All that said, this IS the first time I have ever experienced this with Orbx, and I probably would not have even said anything had I not seen this thread and another similar one pop up as of late. At any rate, I will do as you suggest and give it a few days to see if it changes. If it was simply a matter of slower download speeds, I would not care. But when I have a download that gets two thirds complete and then there is zero download speed after that, no matter how many PC restarts and OC restarts, that is when I start to care :) 

Landon