Salute to British Aviation - BAe-146

Steve Colbert

I've been reading a great book on the history of the DeHavilland Comet - I can't believe how well engineered that first jetliner was, despite the lessons learned and carried forward to future versions of the Comet and all airliners flying today.

Lacking a Comet in P3Dv4 or XP11, here are some captures to celebrate the magnificent engineering that those of you in Great Britain put into your flying machines.

Unlike the Comet I HAVE ridden in BAe-146s when they flew for Air Wisconsin (some flights were between Milwaukee and Chicago, a nearly walkable distance!) and loved every minute of every flight - and thanks to a $20 USD purchase and free prototype repaint I'm having great fun imagining that the original prototype 146 -100 was preserved in flying condition and making a tour of Great Britain (in reality it was literally chopped and stretched into the prototype -300 version, still flying under registration "G-LUXE" today (I think).)

I'm flying test flights around TrueEarth Great Britain and am quite pleased with the smoothness and pure fun of this plane (a "QualityWings" P3D package) mixed with Orbx's airports and TrueEarth - for someone whose Great Britain experience thus far has been a few trips to London and the Pride of Paddington pub and a glorious trip to Edinburgh, I'm seeing and enjoying a lot more of it.

What are your favourite British designed planes or G- registration repaints you enjoy touring TrueEarth Great Britain in?

Some shots of an EGNX (Orbx) to Leeds (someday Orbx enhanced) quick flight....

Steve

BAe 146 2.jpg

BAe 146.jpg

20 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Superb tribute and shots Steve.  I used to love seeing them land here at KATL.  I’ve always thought they were the coolest little jet, a kind of mini 747.

19 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A great write up and images Steve.

18 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great shots.

cheers

Iain

11 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Pair of excellent shots!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, adambar said:

Couple nice ones Steve! :)

7 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Thanks for diving into the history of the Bae 146, I flew in her quite often. What a superb plane! And two nice shots, btw :)

Thanks Guys!

Steve

Archived