Plane cameos on TV/movies

Hi all. Lately, I find myself happily identifying planes that make brief appearances in TV shows or movies. It's often the scene where the CIA operative lands in a remote spot, or a drug deal is about to go down, or a political figure is being secreted out of the country. Kings Airs, Kodiaks, Citations, Beech Barons -- the plane shows up, I go whoop, my wife says What The, and later I go fly the same plane in the scene's location. Anyone else get a kick out of melding ORBX world with watching the movies?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 4:21 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hi all. Lately, I find myself happily identifying planes that make brief appearances in TV shows or movies. It's often the scene where the CIA operative lands in a remote spot, or a drug deal is about to go down, or a political figure is being secreted out of the country. Kings Airs, Kodiaks, Citations, Beech Barons -- the plane shows up, I go whoop, my wife says What The, and later I go fly the same plane in the scene's location. Anyone else get a kick out of melding ORBX world with watching the movies?

I watch airplane repo all the time Rodger, you see all kinds of planes. Great show. :)

I follow Josh Flowers' Aviation 101 channel, and like to visit the airports that he visits on his flights.  Usually I fly my usual Mooney Bravo,while he usually flies his 172.  Frequently I'll recreate the full flight, but not always.  Waiting for an Orbx sale to get Southern Alaska region and a couple of airports to visit some of the airports he explored in his recent series there.

Ken

On 10/1/2019 at 11:58 AM, Ken Q said:

I follow Josh Flowers' Aviation 101 channel, and like to visit the airports that he visits on his flights.  Usually I fly my usual Mooney Bravo,while he usually flies his 172.  Frequently I'll recreate the full flight, but not always.  Waiting for an Orbx sale to get Southern Alaska region and a couple of airports to visit some of the airports he explored in his recent series there.

Ken

Kem, I just watched two fascinating videos on YouTube, one featuring a pilot doing landings on one-way strips, and the other featuring two fellows doing humanitarian bush flying in the Congo. I'm with you. I want to go where they were and try it myself. Very challenging.

7 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Rodger, if you are into bush flying, have you seen the series: "Worst place to be a pilot"? They fly in the Indonesian part of Papua. Top notch!! It consists of 4 parts. You can watch all 4 on youtube, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=worst+place+to+be+a+pilot+season+1+episode+1

Yes, bernd, just ran into it the other day. A great companion is "One-way In Strips: No go-around." Love these bush-plane videos because they teach a lot that translates into ORBX flying.

I haven't seen it myself but apparently there's a Tom Cruise movie called American Made, about drug running.  I heard the Aerostar features in that, as someone made a repaint for the XP11 Avia71 Aerostar.  Then of course there's that other classic Tom Cruise movie from the 80's with LOTS of awesome aircraft.  In fact I just bought the digital version of that the other day.  Then there's Iron Eagle, Con Air........  

I will also watch anything on TV with a plane in it.  It may sound morbid but one of my favourite shows ever is Mayday, aka Air Crash Investigations.  That show is so interesting and well made.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, Ken Q said:

Ken

Well, I got my sale, and bought SA, and three airports.  With some minor variation I have done the first two flights of Josh Flowers' Alaska expedition. Great fun!  But I am used to flying the Mooney Bravo, and for this I am flying a C172.  So SLOW!  Anyone interested in seeing Josh's series, here's a link to the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdF5y9FufHg&list=PLZUuXpwtz5yBZaoFQdHj0AMKId6N4TWPu

Ken

Archived