Confusion over Installations and ORBX Central

NeilG

Ok all,

I'll just explain how it is that I understood this to work and I would appreciate it if you would correct me if necessary because Im not sure Im right. I considered that what you had to do was to construct libraries as storage areas so that  the files would be permanently fixed there and ready to reinstall should the simulator experience problems and have to be uninstalled and started again. In the process of downloading files to the libraries they are also installed in the simulator. This means that when the libraries are full reinstalling should be much quicker as there is no need for further downloading etc. Am I correct about all of this because it is still all taking an inordinate amount of time as though every time it installs it has to redownload. 

Unfortunately my logs file seems to be empty. - ok, now found it but for some reason I also cannot fathom it will not load. You know how some days you could throw your computer out the window? (Edit).

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:   Win 10

Simulator:  P3Ddv4

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Thiere is a kind of tutorial, or user guide anyway, I was reading it this morn. The trouble is, itt might be my own inability, but it has also left me with a load of questions as well as answered a few since it is not doing what I interpreted the guide as saying it would..

34 minutes ago, NeilG said:

Ok all,

I'll just explain how it is that I understood this to work and I would appreciate it if you would correct me if necessary because Im not sure Im right. I considered that what you had to do was to construct libraries as storage areas so that  the files would be permanently fixed there and ready to reinstall should the simulator experience problems and have to be uninstalled and started again. In the process of downloading files to the libraries they are also installed in the simulator. This means that when the libraries are full reinstalling should be much quicker as there is no need for further downloading etc. Am I correct about all of this because it is still all taking an inordinate amount of time as though every time it installs it has to redownload. 

Unfortunately my logs file seems to be empty. - ok, now found it but for some reason I also cannot fathom it will not load. You know how some days you could throw your computer out the window? (Edit).

Operating system:   Win 10

Simulator:  P3Ddv4

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Hi Neil, I don't think you are right, it sounds as though you are muddling up the libraries with the backup folders. As I understand it, the libraries hold the installed scenery outside the sim folder and as such can remain unaffected when the sim is reinstalled while the backup folders hold what are essentially the download files ready for when the scenery is reinstalled (installed files are not the same as the download files).

20 minutes ago, FireRx said:

a tutorial would be helpful.  I won't be installing this until there is one, so I know what I'm doing is as intended. 

I quite agree, the Central Manual doesn't cover the one obvious requirement and that is that 99.9% of us already have FTX Central 3 installed and what we need is a clear step by step set of instructions of how to move from FTX Central 3 to ORBX Central 4 and a video would covering this would be invaluable.

John

1 hour ago, JohnVulcan said:

I quite agree, the Central Manual doesn't cover the one obvious requirement and that is that 99.9% of us already have FTX Central 3 installed and what we need is a clear step by step set of instructions of how to move from FTX Central 3 to ORBX Central 4 and a video would covering this would be invaluable.John

Hello,

as I understand it, this is what is supposed to happen:

P3D v4

1. Install Orbx Central.

You are offered the choice each time it starts to uninstall FTX Central.

Let us assume that you select "not now".

FTX Central will continue to work as before for the time being.

2. Orbx Central will then work exactly as intended with P3D v4, it will see all your scenery,

verify files and uninstall it if you wish.

Nothing needs to be changed at all.

3. If you do uninstall and reinstall a product however, or you add a new product, then you must create a

new library outside the P3D v4 root folder and the product will be installed there.

4. If you wish to move your existing Orbx installation out of the P3D v4 root folder, then you

can migrate the files and the User Guide is very thorough in the way that it describes the process.

There is no need otherwise to modify your installation.

FSX, P3D v1 - v3 and Aerofly FS2.

The files are installed and managed in exactly the same way as before.

X Plane 11

As with P3D v4, all products already installed will continue to work as before.

If you do uninstall a product however, or you add a new product, then you must create a

new library outside the X Plane 11 root folder and the product will be installed there.

Hello Nick,

You don't experience the messy looking scenery sequence as mentioned in other threads since yesterday, while the program is working fine?

What I also noted is the increase in diskspace needed probably due to the many duplications. In my case it amounts to 409 Gb. It was much less with FTX Central 3.

Regards

Hans

3 hours ago, hanss said:

Hello Nick,

You don't experience the messy looking scenery sequence as mentioned in other threads since yesterday, while the program is working fine?

Hans

Hello Hans,

as I mentioned , I have not migrated any of my P3D v4 products, so there are no new add-ons entries.

It is not necessary to immediately rush into changing everything just because it is possible, so I have not.

In the case of X Plane 11, there is an unreleased product I needed to install that is not available on FTX Central,

so as there was a need to change at least one, I changed them all because there are a lot less products involved.

Hello Nick,

You are the sensible one of us two.

I think when something new it is better and the scenery will be even better, alas.

Will there be help around the corner soon?

Regards

Hans

I’m sure it’ll be sorted out eventually but I’ve had to resort to FTX 3 and uninstalled ORBX Central for now, it was just a bit middling and in the end I tried starting P3D up and all I got was the start up black box and the egg timer symbol that computer was thinking, then there was nothing to do but wait, and wait....and wait - unfortunately nothing more. And as far as I can see I’ve been meticulous about doing everything as I’ve been advised/directed to do. There’s often hassle like this when new stuff is being released. I’ve still high hopes for it. So, I’ve  got my libraries downloaded, I’ll Come back to Central bit later. Thanks for keeping on innovating guys.

neil

11 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

P3D v4

3. If you do uninstall and reinstall a product however, or you add a new product, then you must create a

new library outside the P3D v4 root folder and the product will be installed there.

4. If you wish to move your existing Orbx installation out of the P3D v4 root folder, then you

can migrate the files and the User Guide is very thorough in the way that it describes the process.

There is no need otherwise to modify your installation.

So if I understand correctly, we don't have the choice for new products: it's mandatory outsourcing and using the Addon XML method ?

If it's the only choice ... it will be a no go for me ... bad news

11 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

not yet migrated any products in P3D v4 because it is not necessary.

Nick,  Are you still using a symbolic link for your Orbx products, which are on another drive, while running the new Orbx Central?  This is what I would like to do, but have held off doing so for now.  If I must use Orbx Central later to install new Orbx products, that is fine, but I would rather not migrate all my Orbx stuff to the Libraries section/folder on another drive if I don't have to.

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Stewart,

no, as I added to the "symbolic link" topic, I have found that the better solution (for me)

is to have everything on the same large HDD.

Hello, Nick.  Would using the new Orbx Central in conjunction with the symbolic link technique cause any problems, to your knowledge, as long as the user doesn't try to migrate his Orbx stuff to a "Libraries" location?  And have you undertaken migrating your Orbx sceneries to another drive or not?  It doesn't sound like it.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:08 PM, Nick Cooper said:

X Plane 11

As with P3D v4, all products already installed will continue to work as before.

If you do uninstall a product however, or you add a new product, then you must create a

new library outside the X Plane 11 root folder and the product will be installed there.

Nick

Do I assume that this refers to a Windows installation of X Plane 11 rather than a Mac installation or does it apply to both?

5 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

as far as I am aware, Orbx Central works in the same way for all three operating systems.

Thanks.

Coincidentally I've just found the Central User guide and realised it has created a new libraries folder, which is where I must have told it to go on installation without realising what it was doing! Haven't installed any new scenery through Central and it's empty so hadn't spotted it.

However, I did uninstall some scenery then re-installed it and that still in the Custom Scenery folder with all the other pre-central installations. Looks like time to buy something else and see what happens.

Archived