search for speed

hanss

All,

I am looking for advice to increase the FPS by installing a new SSD.

My set-up is 2x 500 GB M2 SSD plus a 3 TB harddisk.

I have windows 10 and REX on 1 SSD,

P3D on the other occupying almost 300GB.

Addon Scenery and ORBX scenery on the Hard disk linked from P3D.

I have a NVIDIA 1080Ti and a i7-7700 processor.

It works all right with TE Netherlands out when I fly a heavy aircraft like the DC-8 in and out of Amsterdam or London.  If I don't switch TE Netherlands off, I still can fly but with very low framerates; studdering when scenery is being be loaded.

I had to go this way of using the harddisk because the SSD was too small to contain all the scenery plus P3D.

I would like to fly even heavier aircraft and I think I need to get rid of the link from the SSD with P3D and the harddisk. I am considering to buy a 2 TB SSD and connect it with the Motherboard via a SATA cable. I will the use this SSD for both the scenery, AddOn and ORBX, and P3D.

I don't have a slot directly on the motherboard left.

The harddisk will then be used for other not flight related files etc.

My reasoning is that everything which is needed during a flight is on the same disk and should therefore give a vast improvement in fps , i.e. better performance.

Am I right in my reasoning? Is this the best way to go?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Regards

Hans

All,

Thanks for your replies.

By loading times you mean initial loading times not during flight. So what you are saying is that loading during flight from a HD, which is separate from the SSD P3D is on, is as fast, or slow, as loading from the same SSD with P3D installed?

Am I correct in this conclusion?

Regards

Hans

Hello,

loading data from an SSD is always faster than from an HDD, however

the point here is that an HDD is more than adequately fast to load the scenery

during a flight, so there will be no discernable difference in performance once

the simulator is running.

A bit like a 50 cc motorcycle and a 1000 cc motorcycle, the one is much slower

than the other but if the need is only to maintain 50 kph, then both are enough and

the extra speed available is never used.

This is some info I posted in an earlier thread. The only thing I'd add is to say that all of the external drives were mounted in a USB3 docking station. All mileage is, of course,  variable.

Here's my admittedly unscientific look at FSX load times with varying drive configurations. These times are the
average of three executions of FSX for each scenario. I see no reason why the results for P3D wouldn't trend the
same.The only add-on is a complete set of ORBX scenery. I saw NO difference in in-game performance no matter which
drive was being used.

My bottom-line? You can run FSX/P3D from any drive you chose and the only penalty is going to be the initial load
time. But, you may already know that.........

Internal SSD                 Reference
External SSD               + 54 seconds
Internal HDD -  7200 RPM   +112 seconds
External HDD - 10000 RPM   +157 seconds
External HDD -  7200 RPM   +201 seconds
External HDD -  5400 RPM   +236 seconds 

Archived