I DO NOT want to installmy products olutside the sim directory

Hi Jack,

May I ask why you wish to keep them in the simulator directory? It is contrary to the advice of Lockheed Martin.

There are some major advantages to keeping them outside the simulator:

1. If you re-install Prepar3D, you do not need to re-install all of your products. Central will just automatically link those products back in when you re-install the sim. 
  2. Contrary to popular belief, the install order of Orbx products does matter. In some cases, if you install the airport before the region, the airport will not function correctly. This is why when you click "verify files" it downloads updates - even though you would have thought the product installed correctly the first time. Because all of the product files are now isolated in their own folders, this does not happen.
  3. You can disable and re-enable products like Orbx Global BASE, Global Buildings HD and Global Trees HD without needing to re-install your whole simulator. This can be done in Prepar3D with the options -> add-ons menu.
  4. You can define multiple install locations. If you run out of space in one drive, you can create another "library" on another drive and tell new products to install there.

Just as another added note. By creating a library outside your simulator, it will not automatically move your products there. All of your existing products in P3DV4\ORBX will stay there. It will only apply to new product installs OR if you click the "migrate to library" button from a product page.

Sorry for interrogating:

These arguments are obvious to me.
Counter-question:
- Does it make sense to move the currently inside P3D installed Orbx-sceneries competely  into a new folder outside the P3D v4.5? (D:\Orbx)?
(Paths in scenery.cfg have to be changed)

11 minutes ago, Dieter said:
- Does it make sense to move the currently inside P3D installed Orbx-sceneries competely  into a new folder outside the P3D v4.5? (D:\Orbx)?

Hi Dieter,

Functionally, it will make no difference - the simulator still reads them the same way. If you do wish to move the sceneries outside, there is a "migrate to library" button from the product pages that you can use.

4 minutes ago, JJJackson said:

I agree with you Dieter. I want to keep my ORBX scenerys where I have them, that´s it. 

None of your currently installed scenery will be moved without your permission (e.g. clicking the "migrate to library" button).

This will only apply to scenery that you install from now.

So some experience from Migrating my scenerys installed to the OLD location.

1. NEW Central told me my Open LC South America was not installed (it was). So I Reinstalled it. In the NEW location I could see OLC_SA1 BUT in my OLD location I have OLC_SA1 and OLC_SA2? Where is OLC_SA2 or do I not need it?

2. Migrated NZGS, but after 20 minutes it was still not migrated. UNinstalled it and REinstalled it from my manually downloaded file that I keep as a backup.  It took me 26 minutes to install,. 

3. My advice is do NOT migrate your scenerys located in the OLD location, it will take forever. Do NOT follow Nick´s advice not to download a scenery manually, use the manual download option,  that way you will have a downloaded backup. If I had not had my backup it would have taken me a lot of time to download the scenery via ORBX Central and install it, now I could save the downloading time.

4. After Migration my scenery.sfg (Scenery Config Editor/Lorby) still pointed to the OLD location.

5. I´m VERY disappointed with the NEW ORBX Central

6. Reverted back to FTXCentral and will stay with until ORBXCentral works in a proper way.

Jack

I just migrated two airfields in each of XP11 and P3DV4, as well as the OLC South America min P3DV4, and all migrations went well.  The South America one took a few minutes as there are 20,000 odd files and a download of 335MB required but it all seems correct.

My XP11 scenery Library folder is a separate folder called XP11 Library in the root folder of the XP11 program, so all sceneries are still in the dedicated XP11 SSD.   

Same with the P3DV4 setup, I just created a P3DV4 Library folder in the Lockheed Martin folder.

So there's no net effect on disk space allocation but the advantages later on if I reinstall etc should become obvious.  And once the SSDs become full I can create a new library in whtever new drive I put in for future sceneries.

XP11-Library.thumb.jpg.4a3a108e9eae2524b3f1aebfd4a0c081.jpg

341884640_P3DLibrary.jpg.6f4ce77ee8faf3aff228121c7a1ab2a8.jpg

Is this true "So there's no net effect on disk space allocation"? When I migrate I get a copy of my installed files in the "migrated" library. So... I have one copy in my default (old) location and one in my new migrated location. As I understand it, it means I have to use double the space I used before migration.

Jack

1 hour ago, JJJackson said:

Is this true "So there's no net effect on disk space allocation"? When I migrate I get a copy of my installed files in the "migrated" library. So... I have one copy in my default (old) location and one in my new migrated location. As I understand it, it means I have to use double the space I used before migration.

Jack

As advised in another topic I tried just migrating one airport, to see. how it worked, when I did so, the airport migrated across, and I was left with zero files for that airport in the old directory.  

Found out that as the sceneries installed/migrated with ORBXCentral are added with the xml-method they doesn´t show up int he "normal" scenery.cfg and can not be seen/moved by Scenery Config Editor or inside P3D. Only way to move them is with Lorby, BUT if I set the Insertion Point right, there is no need to move my ORBX sceneries. Sorry, case closed about new ORBXCentral. I was wrong, it has happend once before. :P:)

Jack

20 minutes ago, JJJackson said:

Ok jd-jay, did you also check that your scenery.cfg pointed to the scenery in the migrateded directory? Mine did NOT.

Jack

I have now Jack and its all working fine, out of everything I own ORBX wise I only have a couple of items left to migrate, each time I moved somethign I tested it and it works, as well as get the message come up asking if I want to add it to the add-on list or whatever it says.

7 minutes ago, jd_jay said:

I have now Jack and its all working fine, out of everything I own ORBX wise I only have a couple of items left to migrate, each time I moved somethign I tested it and it works, as well as get the message come up asking if I want to add it to the add-on list or whatever it says.

Published a new post before I saw your latest, so now I got it. My problem is that I have ALL ORBX sceneries and the migration will take me about 14 days.

Jack

10 hours ago, JJJackson said:

New question. When I have migrated an airport, can I delete it from my OLD G:\P3DV4\ORBX directory?

The airport should be deleted automatically from the G:\P3DV4\ORBX directory. If it's not, that's a bug and we'll need to look into that.

10 hours ago, JJJackson said:

How do I migrate the Config, FTC_Global, FTX_OLC, Scripts, Sode_Data, Troubleshooter and User Documents folders?

Some of those should be migrated just with the "Migrate to Library" button. The Troubleshooter and User Documents folders will remain. But if you choose to migrate everything (which, there is no need to), they will eventually be empty.

Things like Orbx Global BASE cannot be migrated due to the nature of the texture replacements. However, it will still work fine being in the simulator directory. If you choose to do a fresh install sometime in the future, Global BASE will be installed into the library. It just doesn't support migration.

8 hours ago, JJJackson said:

1. NEW Central told me my Open LC South America was not installed (it was). So I Reinstalled it. In the NEW location I could see OLC_SA1 BUT in my OLD location I have OLC_SA1 and OLC_SA2? Where is OLC_SA2 or do I not need it?

We'll look into this. It may be a bug. Remember, you're using this software on day one, there are bound to be some issues

2. Migrated NZGS, but after 20 minutes it was still not migrated. UNinstalled it and REinstalled it from my manually downloaded file that I keep as a backup.  It took me 26 minutes to install,.

If you experience issues, please send us your log file. It is impossible to fix it otherwise.

You can find the log by pressing Ctrl+Shift+L, going to %appdata%\Orbx\Central\central.log, OR going to Settings -> Help -> Log File.

3. My advice is do NOT migrate your scenerys located in the OLD location, it will take forever.

I agree. There is no different when migrating old scenery. We just provide the option for users who wish to use it (to prevent them from uninstalling a scenery and reinstalling it just to have it in a library).

Your existing scenery will continue to function from within the simulator. And any new scenery you install with Orbx Central will be placed in the library. We spent a lot of time making sure that legacy installs and library installs could function well together.

Do NOT follow Nick´s advice not to download a scenery manually, use the manual download option,  that way you will have a downloaded backup. If I had not had my backup it would have taken me a lot of time to download the scenery via ORBX Central and install it, now I could save the downloading time.

When you do a "Migrate to Library", it will copy all of the relevant files from your in-sim location, to the library. If there are files missing, it will download them. In most cases, nothing will be downloaded at all.

You should follow Nick's advice. The manual downloads currently on the Orbx website will not work with Orbx Central. This was a difficult decision to make, but we have made the file format so much more efficient that we could not offer backwards compatibility with these.

We built an automatic backup system into Orbx Central. You simply choose a location, and your Orbx downloads will be backed up there automatically. This is much more powerful - and it's automatic. I would encourage you to read the Orbx Central User Guide. It has a section explaining how this new backup system works.

9 hours ago, JJJackson said:

4. After Migration my scenery.sfg (Scenery Config Editor/Lorby) still pointed to the OLD location.

This is a bug. The old scenery should be removed from the scenery.cfg. Can you please send your log file the next time you experience this?

9 hours ago, JJJackson said:

5. I´m VERY disappointed with the NEW ORBX Central

6. Reverted back to FTXCentral and will stay with until ORBXCentral works in a proper way.

Thank you for your kind words about this beta software :)

7 hours ago, JJJackson said:

This should be true. The products are uninstalled from the old location after they are migrated. Is there any specific product this happens with?

4 hours ago, JJJackson said:

My problem is that I have ALL ORBX sceneries and the migration will take me about 14 days.

There's no need to migrate anything at all. Your scenery will still function fine inside the simulator

Ben, I have read the user guide. This is what it says in the guide:

------------------------------------

Installing from a manual download zip
If you prefer to download products via a third-party
application, Orbx provides manual download zips files.
These contain the product files and can be with Orbx
Central.
Pressing the advanced install, underneath the Install
button on a product page will open a file dialog. Simply
select the downloaded zip file from the dialogue to begin
the installation.
The manual download zips can be found on the OrbxDirect site. Visit
orbxdirect.com/account and log into your account. Select a product from the list of which
you want to download the manual zip. At the bottom of the product’s information page you
can find a ‘MANUAL DOWNLOAD’ button. Pressing this button will initiate the download via
your web browser. You can copy the download link to perform the download in another
application.

------------------------------------

Why do you say "The manual downloads currently on the Orbx website will not work with Orbx Central."

Jack

Archived