EGCB Barton - Road Texture post TE GB Central SP1

First off thank you for the continued support of the TE GB packages and your latest SP update.

Now that TE GB Central SP1 has been released are there any plans to address the road texture colours in EGCB Barton?  They are obviously the original colour which stands out especially where the airport supplied scenery meets TE GB Central.  (screenshot 2).

RocJiIp.jpg

Wsu9RmJ.jpg

You can also see this effect in @olderndirt screenshots in his post here

On a related note I had issues with the TE GB Central SP road textures on first install.  I ran the upgrade through FTX Central as I already owned TE GB Central however when I launched X-Plane the roads were still showing as the original default grey.

I launched at Blackpool airport which is miles outside the boundary of the Barton scenery to verify this.

I deleted the Roads and the Road_x folders and verified the files in FTX Central without any  change.  I ended up deleting the TE GB Central scenery and downloading the full 16.8GB file to correct this issue.  Not sure if it was me doing something wrong but thought I'd mention it here.

As an interim measure you can delete the Roads and Roads_T from the Orbx_EGCB_B_Barton_Overlay folder which does the trick however it does mean that you get an error message every time you launch X-plane.

As a temporary measure I deleted the Roads folder from the Orbx_EGCB_B_Barton_Overlay folder and replaced this with the roads folder from the Orbx_B_GB_Central_TrueEarth_Overlay folder.

This gave me the dark coloured roads without the error message.

BEFORE

WTFd5ev.jpg

AFTER

Pv9mk1Z.jpg

11 hours ago, david broome said:

As an aside, whatever happened to Barton Bridge and Asda that were in the original EGCB scenery?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.  Barton Bridge looks the same to me.  The closest ASDA is behind the Trafford Centre I've not checked if it was there before the update, certainly not looked for it since the update

13 hours ago, Crom UK said:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.  Barton Bridge looks the same to me.  The closest ASDA is behind the Trafford Centre I've not checked if it was there before the update, certainly not looked for it since the update

I can't see custom Barton bridge in your screenshots, only Xplane autogen.

Originally it had a custom motorway bridge.

There is an update to Barton being worked on, one that updates the airport to include a new hangar from 2019 and also compatibility with central SP1. However, if you are using GB Central SP1 you can safely delete the entire Orbx_EGCB_B_Barton_Overlay folder as it isn't needed (and is for those who don't have GB Central installed).

Regarding Asda and Barton Bridge, neither of these are custom objects that I added in Barton. Barton bridge was part of the overlay (and is also in GB Central) and is just a standard X-plane bridge and I never added any Asda supermarkets, however  I did model a B&Q store near to the Trafford Centre if you mean this, and this was new to the first update?

16 hours ago, tonywob said:

There is an update to Barton being worked on, one that updates the airport to include a new hangar from 2019 and also compatibility with central SP1. However, if you are using GB Central SP1 you can safely delete the entire Orbx_EGCB_B_Barton_Overlay folder as it isn't needed (and is for those who don't have GB Central installed).

Regarding Asda and Barton Bridge, neither of these are custom objects that I added in Barton. Barton bridge was part of the overlay (and is also in GB Central) and is just a standard X-plane bridge and I never added any Asda supermarkets, however  I did model a B&Q store near to the Trafford Centre if you mean this, and this was new to the first update?

Maybe I imagined Asda though I talked about via PM during a beta test but there was 100% a custom Barton Bridge that came with EGCB

IT must have got culled somewhere between Barton being integrated with central, I can assure I am not imagining it :)

EDIT

Here it is in an original video advertising EGCB right at the beginning, thank you for having me question my sanity though :lol:

Very good to hear there is an update to EGCB, it is already fantastic, but please sir, can we have our bridge back?

14 hours ago, david broome said:

Very good to hear there is an update to EGCB, it is already fantastic, but please sir, can we have our bridge back?

I am baffled by this, because it's there for me. It was never removed or altered because it's not a custom model at all, it's just a default bridge that was raised up a bit. Is anyone else reading this missing the bridge as well?

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

I am baffled by this, because it's there for me. It was never removed or altered because it's not a custom model at all, it's just a default bridge that was raised up a bit. Is anyone else reading this missing the bridge as well?

Hi Tony, have you watched the original video?

Do you not think it is a custom model and not Xplane autogen bridge in the video, look at the pillars supporting it and how high it is.

My Barton OrbX now just has an Xplane bridge but it used to have the same bridge as in the video.

Pause the video 2:38 it gives a good view of the custom bridge and below is a screenshot I have just taken of what we now have to compare.

The Xplane default is much lower (far too low for Barton bridge) and the pillars are much thinner than the bridge in the video which is the bridge I used to have.

EDIT

I have taken a screen grab from the video for you so you can easily compare my screenshot, the difference should be obvious.

Do you still see the bridge in the video?

Check the screenshot of the OP, it is not that bridge in the video either, it is Xplane same as mine.

BartonBridge.jpg

BartonOriginal.png

3 hours ago, david broome said:

Do you not think it is a custom model and not Xplane autogen bridge in the video, look at the pillars supporting it and how high it is.

No, it's the default X-Plane road bridge. All I did was raise it up a level higher than default X-Plane would place it. This was the only way to get traffic to flow over the bridge and onto the motorway, so I didn't use a custom model at all. I'll double-check for the update again, but my version looks the same as what is in that video :wacko:

3 hours ago, tonywob said:

No, it's the default X-Plane road bridge. All I did was raise it up a level higher than default X-Plane would place it. This was the only way to get traffic to flow over the bridge and onto the motorway, so I didn't use a custom model at all. I'll double-check for the update again, but my version looks the same as what is in that video :wacko:

This is quite confusing. :unsure:

Do you see the difference between the bridge I have and the one in the video first of all?

Notice the pillars are quite different on the one in the video, they are father apart and much thicker, as well as the bridge being shaped like Barton bridge with its arch or at least it has two sloping ends.

My screenshot shows the default flat Xplane bridge as it  appears in my OrbX Barton since central , it has thinner arches closer together and looks like other autogen bridges in Xplane unlike the one in the video.

I just tested the scenery without Barton and just Central and the bridge is the same as with Barton, ie not the one in the video that I used to have with Barton scenery.

This means that the bridge in the video is particular to Barton whatever the issue.

Okay I have got a bit further with this.

I had an old copy of Barton on another disk and tried it in Xplane without Xplane mesh so that Xplane default bridge could not load in.

No bridge, so I thought maybe I am nuts then but...

I then tried it with the old overlay folder to give Barton mesh (no Xplane) and what appeared is the first pic, a wonky bridge!

Note the water in the background because there is no Xplane scenery so this is generated by Barton scenery.

I went through the files and found there is a bridge.dds and bridge.obj file and took a peak and it looked like that was used to generate the bridge.

So, I assumed the files would be missing in the latest Barton scenery folders, but nope they are there but updated versions, doh!

I then copied over the old Barton obj folder to the Xplane copy I am using complete with central and checked, no bridge (or at least only Xplane default)

I then copied over the old overlay folder and lo and behold the bridge was back as you can see in the next image.

But note this an old copy so much of the lovely scenery is missing and also the Barton overlay may be suppressing some central scenery.

In conclusion the bridge appears to need the Barton overlay mesh to be generated whether it is the custom object described as bridge or not.

I don't know if I am now more or less confused than I was:banghead:

Cessna_172SP_2.png

Bridgeback.jpg

As a last test I replaced the old Barton overlay folder with the most recent one in my current install and the bridge was gone (back to default Xplane.)

My best guess is that the bridge obj has a dependency that is referenced to the overlay folder and this got broken in updates somehow, maybe something to do with the mesh? 

My mind is scrambled now (no sleep) so I will only confuse things more if I carry on. Who needs the bridge anyway. :)

1 minute ago, Crom UK said:

I never noticed it until your posts but the bridge is definitely too low.  You cannot see it from EGCB and you clearly can in real life

Yes you have the same default Xplane bridge as me and not the one that we used to have as posted above. A bit of a head scratcher.

Interesting. I do now actually recall when I started making Barton around 2 years ago (I started it as a freeware project), I modelled this bridge (a basic version of it) and the models are still in there but not placed. However, since the beta testers stated that the bridge was lifeless (i.e. No cars), it was removed and replaced with the default X-Plane road-bridge with an offset level to make it higher than X-Plane would place it and connected up to the motorway network, this worked much better and the bridge worked correctly and was clearly visible from the ground when parked up in the fuelling area.

If this custom bridge was in the original build then it shouldn't have been, and I'll have to hunt around in my backups to see what exactly was in the first version to solve this mystery. 

6 hours ago, tonywob said:

Interesting. I do now actually recall when I started making Barton around 2 years ago (I started it as a freeware project), I modelled this bridge (a basic version of it) and the models are still in there but not placed. However, since the beta testers stated that the bridge was lifeless (i.e. No cars), it was removed and replaced with the default X-Plane road-bridge with an offset level to make it higher than X-Plane would place it and connected up to the motorway network, this worked much better and the bridge worked correctly and was clearly visible from the ground when parked up in the fuelling area.

If this custom bridge was in the original build then it shouldn't have been, and I'll have to hunt around in my backups to see what exactly was in the first version to solve this mystery. 

Those files dds and obj are in the current version as well. If not used then they just have not been deleted.

The thing is the traffic works on the images I posted above and the default Xplane bridge we now have cannot be seen form Barton, it is much lower and does not have the distinctive arch of Barton.

The thing is that you are working on an update anyway so perhaps take another look at it in development?

All I can tell you is that I used to have a distinctive Barton bridge with traffic and now I don't and that seems to be the same for others.

However replacing the most up to date Barton overlay folder with an older restores the bridge but of course we lose out on all the work that was done since including more realistic road colours and the Trafford centre etc.

I would be fine with Xplane default if that os what works best but the current one is not "elevated" to represent Barton as you suggest. It is just a flat generic Xplane bridge.

Archived