Just a comment.

When I was a younger man, before the Internet was invented, there never seemed to be any gaps in my 'what to do' schedule.  A couple of days ago our Internet went off and I was like a man without a country.  Advancing years have definitely shrunk my radius of operations/ideas but, without my internet world, I felt in a vacuum.  So much of today's lifestyle is done via the 'net, your options are greatly reduced when it ain't there.  All's well again in Dave's little world and these little epistles (almost 10 wpm lots of spellchecks) will continue.

There are tons of things we codgers can do without the internet.

Television, libraries which still have books in them, raise African Violets, etc.    etc.

We can even volunteer to be school crossing guards or talking heads on TV, which 

requires no knowledge of any thing except how to babble for hours and say nothing.....

Problem with that is they might need us to travel and we could wind up in a 737Max-8.

At least we would never get bored.:rollmyeyes:

I read while my wife watches TV.  Admittedly  nowadays my books come in Kindle format but If I wished and wasn't so lazy,  I could go down to the local library and get stuff to read.  Personally, at present I'd rather read than fly.  But I suppose that's just a passing phase.

Although neither of us can play any more, we also go down the the local Golf club twice a week for a few hours, have a coffee and chat to the other members.  There's also swimming.  I know quite a few people who go swimming most days.  We also often go out to the local Chinese, Indian and English food restaraunts.  Also, we go to London to meet our family or they come here. 

Lots and lots of things still to do and see.  We're never bored.  So you're right Lawrence.  All it needs is a bit of imagination and concentration on what we can still do rather than what we can't.

I have a backup if  I get tired of flying (I spend much of my daylight hours on the computer due health) It's a steam gamer called Skyrim.. THE most realistic computer  game ever re graphics..  Love it just for the scenery.Terry.

Had a look at Skyrim Terry and you're right.  The scenery is really good but in my opinion the plastic looking figures let it down. 

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Internet is great, and I enjoy the few parts of it I use (email, ORBX, Simviation, and YouTube).  But when it goes down, I get out a book. Still the best way to spend time.

I am with you there Rodger.  I almost look forward to it going down because I am too weak to turn it off and I can catch up a little with my massive book-reading backlog!  Cheers.

With books, it's getting more difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm a huge fan of a small cadre of authors and I read all their stuff as soon as the library gets them but I frequently experiment and, by and large, they're duds.  I have trouble staying with a screen and audio's even worse - strictly an in your face, page by page reader and I usually get through one a week in spite of the 'net.

4 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Internet is great, and I enjoy the few parts of it I use (email, ORBX, Simviation, and YouTube).  But when it goes down, I get out a book. Still the best way to spend time.

I got a book out a couple of weeks ago.....discovered my eyes were so bad I had to make a quick appointment for new reading glasses.

Dr. said my eyes were acting like they were 84 years old.

I said that's because they are.

:angry:

1 hour ago, lawrence aldrich said:

I got a book out a couple of weeks ago.....discovered my eyes were so bad I had to make a quick appointment for new reading glasses.

Dr. said my eyes were acting like they were 84 years old.

I said that's because they are.

:angry:

Mine are coming up on 81, time for a 100 hour.  Little over a year ago, I had cataract removal surgery and they slipped in new 20/20 lenses.  Great except for needing computer glasses and reading glasses - thank heaven for dime store glasses.

Archived