A Salutary Lesson

To all of us ancients who still like to travel:  my wife and I are each 79yrs of age. Over recent years as my heart has got worse, we have confined ourselves to travel in Australia and NZ where public health schemes are reciprocal and Travel Insurance is thereby affordable.  (The USA is a total no-no).  My wife is fit and active, so the understanding is that if anything happened it would be to me.  We left from Sydney on a cruise around NZ and back to Sydney.  Six days into the cruise after near perfect weather we found ourselves in Wellington, where my wife took seriously ill.  Suddenly I was the carer! Being a cruise line we were quickly dumped ashore, tho to be fair the on-board medical help was good, and an ambulance took her to the local hospital and the Port Agent fixed up accommodation close to the hospital for me.  But walking up and down slopes I found very hard, but fortunately we have many relatives in NZ.  My wife’s niece flew up from Christchurch and probably saved my life, and fetched and carried for both of us.  Six days later we arrived in Brisbane flying directly from NZWN, we were met by our doctor daughter who immediately had her admitted to a local hospital. I am staying with daughter and son-in-law but we’re still 60 miles from home. Some costs have not stopped...as well as the killing worry.

Moral: don’t assume that it is the unhealthy partner who will take sick.

My wife’s condition is not life threatening but I can’t risk it happening again. I am simply unable to give her the help she needed. Long distance travel is out. Standby for endless screenshots.

Macca had I known you were stranded in Wellington Hospital I could have given you a hand. We are frequent flyers at Wellington Hospital as I have a daughter that at 2 months old got a case of meningitis. She recovered but is still in that hospital very regularly to monitor development until she turns 2. She is now 7 months old but seems like everything is fine, lucky baby.

Anyhow I am well known in that hospital and think the world of the care. Had I known you were there I would have been happy to take you for lunch or bring you provisions, I am very used to doing that job now. Good thing you had family to help and I wish you and your wife the best. If you come back to Wellington let me know.

Cheers

Thank you Rodger for your kind words,

and Matthew I am sorry about your family trauma, really sorry, and I hope your daughter keeps on improving.  However, I also realise that any of us in similar circumstances should put out a call for help on these pages.  Simmers are truly international.  Matthew I stayed at the Southgate across the street, and ate at Bebemos every night.

Archived