Revisiting old ORBX scenery (faster rig) P3D V4.3

Benny

Hi guys, like many of you I always anticipate new stuff.. like a little baby :rolleyes: but....

My story, a quick one: I have never made the jump to P3D V1 2 or 3, but I did with V4, sadly I was never happy with the performance on this one, blame it on ma aging rig, a trusted I7 2600K OC @ 4.3.

So I have tried and tried different setting but... hey, it was a slide show to often. I then discover Aerofly 2, wow what a smooth ride even with the old 2600K, so for a wile I use AF2 and was an happy camper. But after a wile I have been around and was missing a lot of stuff including all the payware airplane I have paid for.

I had 2 choice, install back FSX or upgrade my rig, since I have a few hobby I had a budget for the semi new rig, why semi? because last year I have upgraded my GPU (1060 6G), case, power supply and SSD drive. So I have studied the rig option and ended up with a I5 8600K, good mobo, 16 of ram, fresh install again for everything.

At first I open up Aerofly FS2, I saw no real change, except wile filming, so bravo to AF2 for having such a good graphic engine that work nicely on older rig.

Then was the real test for me... Airport like KSAN and a few other one where a nightmare for me with the 2600K... I was so scared to see no real difference with the new rig that at first I use a stock plane :ph34r:..  WOW it was smooth!!!!!!!!!!! I then loaded.. the Aerosoft CRJ at KSAN.. and hope for the best... my god 50 FPS and smooth, I was almost crying :P

I then sat down and choose what ORBX stuff I would install and mist the most, strangely, Australia, yep because I had just bought GOLD coast airport and owned GOLD coast city scene.

I then realize that I was missing Brisbane and quite a few others, then New Zeeland... I then went to Milford Sound, YESSSSSSSSS I was missing those great scenery from the past.

Then JUNO, Redding, then the one that I didn't have time to explore enough (to many to name) AND IT'S ALL FREE, ha ha ha because I have paid for them once.. in the past.

Same thing happen when I bought Santa Barbara, installing back Monterey and others around. I then bought a plane that I have dreamed to have for a wile, at  the time I saw that it was CPU hungry and that is why I have waited, the QW 787...  Let me tell you that I am a happy camper, no, simmer now.. no OOM, smooth like I have never seen (as to FSX-P3D), even with FRAP running the FPS don't budge much.

Anyway I had to share that this snowing morning. I had a tendency to left the old stuff after a few flight.. I am also impress with older one, like 9 year old, they still look fabulous.

Thanks for reeding, Ben   

PS.: if your rig is struggling and you have the money, maybe it's time for a upgrade.

Good stuff Ben!  I am having these thoughts almost daily now, so I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a new PC.  I have a system with an i7-2700k and GTX980, and although it runs almost everything else beautifully, it struggles with P3D and X Plane 11.  Even though an upgrade can be very expensive, I think the time most of us spend on our PCs can be easy justification for that outlay.

I have really been holding out for the new generation of hardware to arrive on the market and just last night I was looking at some spectacular builds from PC Case Gear in Australia.  In particular I am looking at an i9-9900k, GTX2080ti, M2 SSD, 3000+ RAM to make the upgrade and the wait worthwhile.

I'm glad to hear your new PC is working out so well.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

Good stuff Ben!  I am having these thoughts almost daily now, so I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a new PC.  I have a system with an i7-2700k and GTX980, and although it runs almost everything else beautifully, it struggles with P3D and X Plane 11.  Even though an upgrade can be very expensive, I think the time most of us spend on our PCs can be easy justification for that outlay.

I have really been holding out for the new generation of hardware to arrive on the market and just last night I was looking at some spectacular builds from PC Case Gear in Australia.  In particular I am looking at an i9-9900k, GTX2080ti, M2 SSD, 3000+ RAM to make the upgrade and the wait worthwhile.

I'm glad to hear your new PC is working out so well.

Cheers,

Not nice to make a guy drool over his keyboard Scott!  :lol:  Keep us posted when you have it up and running.  My system is pretty good, but it's been a few years now.

11 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

I have a system with an i7-2700k and GTX980, and although it runs almost everything else beautifully, it struggles with P3D and X Plane 11.

We all know that the one of us who by chance bought the 2600-2700K series where just lucky at the time, for years my preferred local PC shop told me to old down.. that I probably have bought the best CPU of the last 10 years. But CPU speed is not the only factor today.

The same guy told me that for what I was doing that I was better off with the I5 8600K then the I7 8700K, he even suggested the I5 8400, he said that for the price it was the best CPU out there. Lately the Ryzen are also in the game, just research.

It was about 800CAD $ (about 630$ USD) for a mobo, CPU and 16g of ram, the ram are kind of expensive lately. Add the GTX 1060 6g for about 350$, he also confim that the 1060 6g was also the best GPU for the money but he said don't touch the 1050.

Your case and power supply can be reuse. 

Also, the loading time with a SSD and my rig is 3-4 time faster, that is including that I run all that on 3 screen, Chaseplane, ASCA and AS P3D are also running.

So far the worse FPS was 30 :) but most of the time in the 50-60.

Just trying to say that for about 1200$ CAD, that is like 950$ USD you can have a pretty fast machine that run everything very smoothly.

Cheers

Well it depends how you want to play in the future. Im playing in 4k since 2.5 years now with my GTX 1060. With the right settings you loose almost 0 fps in 4k compared to FULL HD in P3D and due to a bug in the engine that exists since release of P3D you can even use SSAA x4 without problems which cause tremendous FPS drops in Full HD.

And it looks so much better everything in 4k so I can only encourage everybody to jump to 4k immediately! Anyway with the wrong settings in P3D which is indeed a catastrophic behavior of the ESP Engine you can easy run even a 1080 Ti in the ground. Some settings even causing the graphics card to limit  TDP to at least 50 % or so which result then to 10 fps on approach. Volumetric fog + Dynamic lights and SSAA x2 for example and every system is dead in 4k (7-10 fps on approach) :D

With that being said P3D doesnt profit from a fast CPU, it never did, dont now why people still say that. Instead in investing in i7-8700k or so you would rather go with a cheap Ryzen 1600 and save the money for a 1080 or 1080 Ti. Just take a look CPU usage is never above 25 - 30 % with a Ryzen 1600 for example on approach.

Another major bug and problem is when to many scenerys are in the scenery.cfg. So you should only call to load scenerys you want to fly. Otherwise it will slow down the sim extremely. With for example all major world regions and airports in the scenery.cfg you will notice sometimes complete stucks for 5-10 seconds or so. I hope someday in ORBX direct there will be an option to opt out scenerys. Everytime I launch that program it puts all the sceneries back in which causes tremendous trouble and shouldnt be like that.

Archived