Strange winter texture behavior in Europe

carlosqr

Hi hope you are all ok

I opened this topic in Europe Land Class as I think it is the right one.

It happens that I took off today from Pulvoko Saint Petersburg Russia. (Digital Design)

I noticed all around had whiter textures but some areas were green.

JlpvqR7.jpg

7HWNW04.jpg

STdlOAu.jpg

VYaFsdU.jpg

So I took an aerial view and noticed that all the area north of Pulvoko had no winter textures.

4EVL0K1.jpg

So I unticked the third-party add-on (Pulvoko)  to verify if it was the reason for this and then went to Tallin DD), which as you can see in the above picture is covered by winter textures.

And now all the area around Tallin is green...but the Pulkovo one is under winter... odd

mkEVyge.jpg

n0UxL17.jpg

WjyQHPu.jpg

Why am I having green textures following me?  When flying Pulvoko this area was white..

Any ideas?

Thank you

Strange.

I have same problem.

I'm at just 53 degrees North.... so real time is Autumn.

As you can see here, I have 99.5% (real calculation !) Autumnal textures but green patches dotted around.

My issue is in FTX Wales region. Going to have spent a few hours trying different dates to see what time periods are affected.

Ho hum !

Hi Nick

Thank you fro replying. As per your text I deduct the issue is caused by the third-party add-on then.

I searched withing the forum for topics ralated to Tallin and St Petesburg but I didn't find anything.

Is there anybody at Orbx who could check/know about the compatibility between Orbx and these too?

What I don't understand is why when I was in St. Petesburg, Tallin textures were winter ones and when I moved to Tallin textures turned green. I'll test other airports in the area and will report because if this continue happening then it would not be the third-party add-ons right?.

In your picture where are you positioned? which airport?

Regards,

Carlos

Hi Nick

I think we have to discard DD and Digital Desing add-ons in the Gulf of Finland and the Ladoga lake as I'm having the issue in several parts of Europe.

I'm using the default plane which by the way, hardly moves. Let me show you:

Here in Helsinki:

pOerFyN.jpg

Here in Arlanda (only have Orbx products here. And now you can see Helsinki is fine.

xdJwBmt.jpg

Here in Narvik (only Orbx products)

zPDZYGd.jpg

And the scenery looks oof to me, in the bottom looks more to winter but right in the airport is more fall style:

UReyn4K.jpg

gZ5FrAF.jpg

Here is Poland and you can see the Alps are all snowed and the Netherlands is brownish

HrMWoNy.jpg

And here is Saanen with the Netherlands half brownish and Poland seems amended

XziGn1p.jpg

Saanen

WXqh9so.jpg

Being curious as I am I went to NA and tested there, all seems to works fine in NA. Tested in Anchorage and Juneau, even though Juneau look too green to me for being this time of the year:

cjfoKmS.jpg

But the mountains did had some snow

sJ7SQSk.jpg

What has happened recently?

Well during the last FTX Central blackout I deleted the files you mentioned in a procedure to follow when FTX fails, but as I realized this was not my issue but Orbx's I restored the files.

Second

Last night, pretending to "verify" the EU textures I run the tool but for NA!!

The scanning has frozen my computer totally twice, to the point of needing a force reboot. On the third try, it stuck for hours but was not frozen. Then suddenly jumped almost from the middle of the scan to just a few files to finish and finally did but throw this message:

yeOVcjL.jpg

I did ok, closed FTX and opened it again and then closed it. If I run it now all seems fine as well as NA

Not sure if running the verification tool for EU would fix this. Does it look like textures missing to you? 

I tested initially in Helsinki but the lights and runway strips look awful, I'm about to reinstall that one hoping it gets fixed, see here below, it is not normal ar t all

RRLhLv0.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Regards,

Carlos

Hello Carlos,

with this new information, it seems that the problem is nothing to do with a specific area.

Try deleting C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\terrain.cfg.

Run P3D v4 once and close it.

Run FTX Central and wait for "Activating Orbx scenery".

Close FTX Central and run P3D again.

Hi Nick

Thank you for replying

I followed your instructions above but the issue is not fixed.

I actually tested all seasons in Narvik and here the results:

Spring:

1pkHTja.jpg

Summer:

LqleBjh.jpg

Fall:

IqXLHfw.jpg

Winter:

t5EscMl.jpg

Do you think that if I totally uninstall Europe LC would it get fixed? or is it not this sort of issue?

Regards,

Carlos

Hi Nick

I went ahead and blew it all away as per a post from Elain a few time ago:

Deleted

1) Prepar3D.cfg file.    2) Shaders folder.    3) SceneryIndexes_x64  folder.  4) Terrain.cfg file

And followed the rest of the procedure but still the same:

This time some strange white squares appeared in Narvik:

3K4EdLY.jpg

But the strangest thing is that when flying nothing seems wrong in the area:

Df2CB60.jpg

though the snow division seems kinds or marked, noticeable.

tHzdWx6.jpg

I'm flying with pure default settings in this time:

LoZsYlc.jpg

and back in Pulkovo, it seems to form again the texture patron:

16AMslw.jpg

I'm starting to think my Europe is spoiled but FTX says it is installed and updated...

From here I have no idea of what else to do except uninstall Europe LC and load again, the problem is that when I do that it seems that the scanning consumes all of my computer resources and freezes it. 

Last night I left it scanning EU and when I came to check this morning the computer was frozen. Canceled the operation and restarted and went to work, when I came back it was frozen the mouse didn't respond, nothing could be done, no reaction but there was a message in the right bottom stating that the product had been downloaded and installed correctly but the image shows a scanning in process. I had to reboot and when I opened FTX Central again this message popped up:

sT12vbT.jpg

Close it and reopened and all ok

Just in case I still have about 250 gigas space left in my disk

The did all the above previous to this last mail.

Oh I also reinstalled the Trees (because they looked a bit strange or lack of them) Reinstalled the lights again (due to the way Helsinki looked) and reinstalled the libraries

Should I delete EU LC and reinstall? I'm starting to get tense

Thanks for your help in advance

Regards,

Carlos

Hello Carlos,

the fact that the rogue textures follow your aircraft everywhere seems to indicate

something fundamental wrong with your simulator.

To rule out a problem with Orbx or any other addon software, rename your

C:\programdata\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv4\scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.old.

Start P3D and return to a problem area. See if the problem is still there.

Hi there,

something to keep in mind is that the far-distance display of the ground is not done with landclass but rather synthetic low-resolution satellite imagery. Its seasonal changes are hard-coded by month and not necessarily in sync with the local, landclass-based, seasonal variations. Thus, if one zooms out as far as in Carlos' screenshots then most of what is displayed are, in fact, those satellite images; see https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/125487-total-desert-over-all-orbx-regions-and-lc/

The other thing to keep in mind is that seasons in FSX/P3D are not the same everywhere for a given date but rather controlled by a grid raster system of about 1km spacing. That allows developers to model latitude and altitude-dependent seasonal changes, just as in the real world. It's just that the dependency on 1-sqkm grid raster cells means that transitions, like snow lines, can't be shown as gradual as one would like.

For more technical information see https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89258-seasons-in-ftx-norway/

Cheers, Holger

Hi Olger

Thank you for this information. I understand now the season behavior.

Then this is why I see the same shape/patron image/coverage if I go distant from Moscow, Berlin and the others here below...These are the Orbx imagery you mention.

oosNNhR.jpg

RiRIF8A.jpg

ITC9Txg.jpg

ax6AbNK.jpg

11 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Carlos,

the fact that the rogue textures follow your aircraft everywhere seems to indicate

something fundamental wrong with your simulator.

To rule out a problem with Orbx or any other addon software, rename your

C:\programdata\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv4\scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.old.

Start P3D and return to a problem area. See if the problem is still there.

Hi Nick I did all this and got the above yet, so I think the reason is what Olger explained

Hi

Just read the other Olger's posts about this seasonal issue

And also saw the same shape fo the "image" "covering" the areas where I stand

This said I'll get back to my sim to configure my settings hoping all works fine

I reinstalled anyway (as additional information) the trees, the lights, the libraries and EU LC

Thank you both!

Regards

Carlos

This is exactly what I am finding in random patches in the UK... as per my post regarding North Wales.

Clearly errors in mapping out Landclass.

Caernarfon airports is surrounded by green grass through Autumn and winter.

Uh..... no ! It isn't.

Archived