Is the Canary islands meant to be just sand?

ols500

Hi,

I am using Orbx Global, Vector and Open LC's and it looks great! However, the canary islands look like default, just sand. Is this right or is something wrong, because the real islands have sharp hills and look alot like spain.

-Ollie

This one intrigued me, so I took a look in my P3Dv4.2. FTX Global and OpenLC:

There's an elevation issue with those two lower "bumps". There's actually a lake on top of each one. I'm not entirely convinced that the two larger mountains are correct either (see pics #3 and #4).

canaries_01_1280.jpg?dl=1

canaries_02_1280.jpg?dl=1

Here they are again!

canaries_03_1280.jpg?dl=1

Gran Canaria (airport):

canaries_04_1280.jpg?dl=1

Adam.

Hi guys,

openLC EU does not cover the Canary Islands meaning any Orbx content would be limited to the Global Base ground textures and Global Vector components (shorelines, roads, lakes, etc.).

That being said neither Ollie's nor Adam's screenshots show Global Base textures but rather default ground textures; thus, I'd recommend re-installing Global Base to fix this.

How the islands appear in terms of land use depends on whether you have any third-party landclass add-on for the islands (or Africa) installed; if none it's the default landclass file that determines where you see desert, agricultural areas, and residential areas. Keep in mind that some airport add-ons also include local landclass files.

In addition, Adam's screenshots of Gran Canaria indicate that either no terrain mesh add-on is installed or one that isn't correct for the islands. The entire central volcano (>6000ft tall) is missing and thus some of Vector's lakes are "on stilts". Remember that Vector's fixed lake and airport elevations are based on a much more accurate global terrain mesh than the default files; something like their own PILOTS FSGlobal or else FSGenesis or FreeMeshX.

Cheers, Holger

Yay - thanks, Holger, for replying with all the info!

I have no other non-ORBX scenery installed *at all*. As I (occasionally) am asked to help test a new area, I decided to keep things simple and to be "100% ORBX pure".

So ... it looks like I need to reinstall FSGlobal and Vector <?>. Arrrgh!

Adam.

20 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Adam,

where is that exactly please?

Oh bugger! I just closed P3D 5 mins before seeing this. I could have given you SLEW lat/long.

Basically, take off from Gran Canaria airport (GCLP) and head due West. Pilots Global 2010 seems to make a proper mess of it all. FSGlobal 2018 (or even Ultimate) may help - but it's damn' expensive. I don't stray outside of pukka ORBX areas much (why would I? :lol:) so I'd rather spend the money (if I had it to start with) towards a PMDG aircraft, which you appear to need a mortgage for.

Ollie. I took a look at that BMP file. Sure looks wrong. Reinstalling FTX Global, Vector and OpenLC got me at least half way there. Just go to FTXC and do a "Verify" on all of them (then go have a coffee or two!).

Adam.

Hello,

it is, of course, exactly as Holger wrote.

Default P3D, as Ollie sees.

Default P3D.jpg

FTX Global Base and Vector

Default mesh not good and the Vector water raises the terrain, as Adam sees.

Please disregard my comment on the mesh, it isn't missing, it's just not good.:(

2.jpg

FTX Global Base, Vector and some FS Global 2010 mesh.

3.jpg

19 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Adam,

that was FS Global 2010, Africa (AFR folder)

Thanks Nick (and Friedi). Just the info I need. Looks like I need to reinstall my FSG 2010 Africa. I'm glad I don't have to spend any [more] money!!!

Adam.

All's well that ends well:

canaries_0_06_1280.jpg?dl=1

Thanks for the prodding, Nick - I realised I'd forgotten to re-link my FS Global 2010 after my upgrade to P3Dv4 from P3Dv3 ... so it's been a fair while!

Thanks also to Friedi and Jeff et al.

I can't vouch for the colour of that water, but the terrain looks terrific now.

Ollie - if you install the freemesh (as suggested by Carlos), you should be sorted, I think.

Archived