Any advice is welcome...

Bugdani

I'm pretty sure FTX Global vector airport elevation corrections is only for airports in the FTX Global Range, not ones under a regeion. I might be wrong though.

You probably need that elevation correction file in your world directory, which Nick will probably give you shortly. [emoji846]

I have this problem at that airport too, so I also await his reply. [emoji846]

Caleb

Ok, thanks, so I'm not alone...
Elevations seem to be a common error with Orbx products, but they are usually very easy to fix, and the work/time to fix them is worth it for the wonderful scenery you get! [emoji846]

I checked this in my P3DV4 last night and I am seeing the same thing with a fresh install.

The actual 3WA7 is in another location IRL and is actually a heliport, so although this field exists, 3WA7 is a fictional ICAO code for this field.

I also had no altitude file for it.

Cheers,

Hello again,

the only file is no more than a place marker, so that the airport appears on the in-game map

and in the "go to" menu.

My guess would be that the airport elevation is included in cvx_SanJuan_field_flattens.bgl

I wonder if a mesh setting of 5 m would make it look better?

Hi Nick,

Mine was set to 5m and I had the issue.  5m is also what is recommended in the manual.

I never noticed that flatten file. I think you may be right Nick.  The scenery also contains a mesh file.  I did create a rough flatten file which did flatten the whole area surrounding the airfield, but it was just a rough one and had some severe side effects.  I'm not sure if this is an issue that can be overcome without some type of manual adjustment, or an addition of a more precise flatten file.  Looking at the area in Google Earth it does look really flat everywhere around this field.  I will look at it a bit more, and if an obvious fix isn't found I will try to create a flatten file.

Cheers,

Edit:  I have just tested 3WA7 and the other farm fields with the file Nick mentions above disabled, and I think it gives the fields a much more realistic feel.  3WA7 is very rough, as are the others, but as they are in fields that suits to a degree.

@Bugdani, @caleb1

Try turning off "cvx_SanJuan_field_flattens.bgl" and see what you think.  I will still try to find if there is an issue, or come up with a more suitable flatten file.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

just FYI, "cvx_SanJuan_field_flattens.bgl" contains flatten polygons for at least five different airstrips across the island, including the fairly large and complex Roche Harbor airstrip. Thus, deactivating that file may create more issues than it fixes.

If you're interested, TMFViewer.exe is the SDK tool to look at the content of CVX files.

Cheers, Holger

Holger is of course correct, but I did test all the fields affected by the file.  Elevation wise, they all remain OK, but removing the flatten file has the effect of making all the strips pretty rough.  There are also a couple of buildings I noticed which weren't sitting on a flat base anymore, but that was pretty minor.  Unfortunately it is more difficult than I thought to exclude a flatten or create a replacement one, but I will look at it again at some stage if no one beats me to it.

Cheers,

3WA7 - Schoolhouse Field flatten

I made some adjustments to the ADE file and gave 3WA7 some new flattens which will override the flattens in the file mentioned above (cvx_SanJuan_field_flattens.bgl).  Find the files attached to this post.

Just place the two files in the KFHR scenery folder:     "........ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KFHR\scenery"  When asked to overwrite, click on yes.  If you are concerned, back up the original file first (3WA7_ADEX_TRB.bgl).

If anyone followed the advice above and turned off the file "cvx_SanJuan_field_flattens.bgl", make sure to turn that back on.

These files should work in FSX or P3D, all versions.  

@Bugdani & @caleb1

You guys were asking about this, so here's the heads up. ;)

Cheers,

3WA7_ADEX_TRB.bgl

3WA7_ADEX_TRB_CVX.bgl

3 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

3WA7 - Schoolhouse Field flatten

I made some adjustments to the ADE file and gave 3WA7 some new flattens which will override the flattens in the file mentioned above (cvx_SanJuan_field_flattens.bgl).  Find the files attached to this post.

Just place the two files in the KFHR scenery folder:     "........ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KFHR\scenery"  When asked to overwrite, click on yes.  If you are concerned, back up the original file first (3WA7_ADEX_TRB.bgl).

If anyone followed the advice above and turned off the file "cvx_SanJuan_field_flattens.bgl", make sure to turn that back on.

These files should work in FSX or P3D, all versions.  

@Bugdani & @caleb1

You guys were asking about this, so here's the heads up. ;)

Cheers,

3WA7_ADEX_TRB.bgl

3WA7_ADEX_TRB_CVX.bgl

Very many thanks for this!

Archived