Essential Old Coot's wardrobe items

My wife, bless her heart, said that she would still appear in public with me even if I wore my brand-new bib overalls. My grandfather wore bib overalls and so did most of the farmers on whose farms I worked as a boy. They did so because bibs are practical and comfortable. I got mine because they truly are comfortable and because they allow my pot-belly room to breathe. My wife says that now I should get the "other Old Man's wardrobe items." When I ask exactly what those would be, she just smiles enigmatically and says, "Look around. You'll see." I look around and all I see are sporty older dudes with enough sense to wear comfortable shoes. Does anyone have any idea of what would constitute an  "Old Man's wardrobe item?"

Two styles Roger -

Smart - always wears a tie, likes to wear a hat, favourite colour is beige, does not follow fashion, clothes were purchased 20 years ago and they never wear out.

Scruffy - wear slippers or cheap trainers, has T shirts cast off by his grandson, likes jeans and wears a belt that always sits 9 inches below his stomach.

;):)

Yep, me too Ken. I've got a 18-20 hour flight coming up next month (Orlando-Sydney) and the doc says I have to wear them. I don't know anything about compression stockings but I guess I'll be learning soon.........Doug

All kidding aside - they can be a great help.  I fell a couple of weeks ago doing yard work, and damaged an already badly arthritic knee, and edema, pooling blood, made for a nasty situation.  The compression helps a lot, but not without its downside.  they are hard to put on, and can cause itching and discomfort after a while.  My advice, Doug,  get used to putting them on before your trip, and wear them for a couple of hours at a time for a few  days before you leave.  Make sure you get them on nice and smooth.  Should help a lot in the long run. 

Wish you well on your trip - that's a loooong flight.  I thought 17 hours coming home from Desert Storm, Naples to Philly was bad, and I was 25 years younger then!  And like it or not we had to get off the plane at Rota and Tennerife, but it was still an ordeal.  Did make a point of standing, walking the aisles, and so on whenever possible, though.  That helps.

Ken

Archived