Meigs for XPlane

Not actually bought it yet but just wanted to say how pleased I am to see Orbx release their first ever XPlane addon. I have neglected P3D for about the last 4 months in favour of XP 11 and will be buying any XP addon Orbx cares to release.

I second jjaycee1’s comments. Like “jj” I too have now made the switch to X-Plane, and had it not been for a newsletter to my e-mail account probably would not have written here today. I am going to avoid any negative comments, and I suspect there will be a few, to welcome ORBX to XPlane although it is not really my place to make this grand statement.

It's amazing, I decided to leave FSX / P3D after 20 years of fun to go on X-Plane and Meigs is coming! I learned to fly on this virtual airport 20 years ago ... I will definitely buy all ORBX products for X-Plane. Thank you for this new pleasure ...

I am delighted by the typical Orbx attention to detail, quality and performance. I look forward to having to spend even more money at Orbx for XP as I have in the past for FSX/P3D addons. Her indoors though is not as happy as me!:D

Great to see no negative comments..how refreshing!!  Whilst I am an FSX user I respect every persons right to enjoy whichever simulator they like and which suits their type of flying. Enjoy your simulator guys.

First Impressions:

1. Scenery nicely optimised - constant 45 to 65 FPS, depending on open or dense area

2. Downtown Chicago Cityscape very well detailed

3. Overlays and other scenery addons work fine

4. Scenery installed into correct place in "scenery.ini" file

5. Minor installation error as per screenshot but no problems manifest in simulator

Recommendation: Buy it - absolutely. This is an impressive piece of work and way up in the top range of scenery design compared to other payware sceneries.

Very well done to ORBX, and my thanks. I was a bit nervous at first but if the rest of your scenery following this is anywhere near this standard, that'll complete my full and final transition to X-Plane from Prepar3D - the latter of which seems to have lost the plot recently.

2018-03-04 11_30_53-.png

I also received an error message at the end of the installation referencing the scenery_packs.ini but upon inspection of the ini file, I found a listing of Meigs at the top and the ZZZ listing at the bottom. Furthermore, it appeared to work fine when I launched X-Plane at Meigs.

Thanks ORBX for giving X-plane the Orbx love.

This Flying Dutchman is loving it.

Now I can go down memory lane and start my simulator as I did with Flightsimulator 2 but now in VR and Photoreal.

I am also looking forward for the Netherlands scenery in X-plane and Aerofly  which you have been showing  John Venema.

Keep up the good work.

Looks great! Not too happy about the price point...as I have almost everything Orbx in P3Dv4 I just cant afford to buy at this price. I have moved strongly over the XP11, waiting patiently for seasons textures.  Would love to see some sort of "credit" or "discount" if you have purchased the P3D version.

Bryan

Hi all. I bought this great scenery for x-plane 11. Love it!!!

I have a question about installation and FTX Central. I place all my sceneries on an external drive and then place a shortcut in my x-plane Custom Scenery folder. FTX install would not allow me to chose install location. So now this, and I assume all future ORBX purchases, will install only to my C drive x-plane Custom Scenery folder.

I also use a naming convention and hence re-name all of my sceneries to insure airports come first (a_KGCX) , overlays (y_overlays)  after libraries mesh last (ZZZ_mesh). So, can I move my recent three Meigs files (Airport, Overlay and Mesh) to my external drive and rename plus shortcut them to the C drive Custom Scenery folder?

Cheers all.

2 hours ago, darthwayner said:

Hi all. I bought this great scenery for x-plane 11. Love it!!!

I have a question about installation and FTX Central. I place all my sceneries on an external drive and then place a shortcut in my x-plane Custom Scenery folder. FTX install would not allow me to chose install location. So now this, and I assume all future ORBX purchases, will install only to my C drive x-plane Custom Scenery folder.

I also use a naming convention and hence re-name all of my sceneries to insure airports come first (a_KGCX) , overlays (y_overlays)  after libraries mesh last (ZZZ_mesh). So, can I move my recent three Meigs files (Airport, Overlay and Mesh) to my external drive and rename plus shortcut them to the C drive Custom Scenery folder?

Cheers all.

Great Questions. And important especially scenery order issues and those who put othro etc on other drives.

6 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

Great Questions. And important especially scenery order issues and those who put othro etc on other drives.

Yes you can - use symbolic links and all will be OK. It's also quite alright to change the scenery.packs.ini file to your pleasure too.

All of the above I have done with no problems.

1 hour ago, buffewo said:

Can someone publish the official order of the 3 Miegs files in the .ini. I have tried everything and the default KORD still has no buildings.

I've been working on this for a while now and have sussed it out finally. I went on to the XP Scenery library website and downloaded KORD as it has been fixed for 11.10 ( https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/KORD )

I put these 3 entries near the top of the scenery_packs.ini file in the order below:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KORD - Chicago Ohare/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_KCGX_A_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_KCGX_C_Overlay/

I put this entry at the bottom:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ZZZ_Orbx_KCGX_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field/

Hope that does it for you?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, just wanted to add my feedback on Orbx’s toe dipping into the XPlane environment.

I’ve been a long time customer of Orbx products even back to the Vista days with FS9 and what John has done to further the enjoyment of flight simulation is outstanding. I continue to enjoy the scenery for FSX and lately P3dV4 and in more recent times, have enjoyed the performance I get using Orbx scenery in VR, using an Oculus Rift.

I appreciate the future is in the 64bit platform and as a result purchased both P3d (mainly for the Orbx scenery  free upgrades - thanks John) along with XPlane 11, which has earned much respect with this implementation of the platform.

XPlane hasn’t released a VR version yet but at the time if this reply, the VR beta version is amazingly good and quite stable. As a simmer from the very early days Sinclair XZ81 and Apple II+, Meigs field was introduced to us as a base for our flying. It held many memories and Orbx’s release of the FSX and P3d versions was such an experience to those that used to fly around in such a stylised pixelated environment.

I always thought XPlane 11 did an amazing job out of the box regarding scenery and with options like Ortho4XP etc, wondered what could improve the scenery. Well, I had to try Orbx’s first entry into the world of XPlane and must say, I wasn’t disappointed. Orbx has shown that they can improve what we have in XPlane, adding to the immersion of flight in a specific area.

One area of concern was VR flying, as VR takes a big hit on performance. I can say that flying around Chicago in Orbx scenery I get good performance in XPlane (and this is still beta). I’m very happy that Orbx has ventured into the XPlane environment. I have thoroughly enjoyed the brilliant scenery that has been produced for FSX and P3d and am hopeful that Orbx’s contribution to XPlane will further enhance peoples experience with this platform.

Thanks to John and the team for continuing to offer us improvements to our virtual flying world.

Regards, Paul

• 9 months later...
7 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

See here - does this help?

Thank You for the response.....I do not have a SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KORD - Chicago Ohare/ in my file. I tried reordering as you suggested but thats when I noticed kord does not exist in the orbx scenery. After the reordering, I flew to KORD RNY 27 and this time there were no buildings at all at the airport, only parked aircraft.....I must have a very unique problem...Thanks for any help I can receive....

2 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

@meb58 If you go to the link below you will see there is a new addon from Gateway for KORDS. It was released/approved on January 14th this year so is not in the XPv30 yet. Download it as an addon and your problem will go away. It is freeware and good quality.

https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/KORD

Thank You jjaycee1 for your help and quick response!

Archived