Curious about ORBX and Aerofly FS2

Tim K

I am curious about Aerofly FS 2. From all the reading and after seeing some screenshots, what intrigues me most is the visuals and the performance.

But, a few reasons I won't invest in Aerofly yet is because of what (I think) it lacks which I love in FSX and P3d v4, namely, 1) global scenery coverage, 2) seasons, 3) live weather (through Active Sky etc) plus others... 

My question is this... I know Aerofly is slowly releasing various regions of scenery but would would orbx ever adapt global, vector, and/or open lc for Aerofly? I LOVE being able to fly anywhere in the world with GA aircraft or doing longer hauls with airliners and so Aerofly not having global coverage is enough for me to not invest in it.

Just curious if that is even a possibility.

Thanks! TK

ORBX can't cover the whole world in any way, nor is it necessary in my mind. They would either have to use their conventional landclass system which is incompatible to AeroflyFS2 basically (and for a reason). Or, they would have to provide the whole world in high-resolution photo scenery in which case you better prepare to buy an SSD Server Farm.

AeroflyFS comes with world-wide  (very) low-resolution scenery which, however, is not suited for VFR. However, realistically, there are 80 % of the world I never flew VFR over the last 10 years. This way it comes down to provide selected high-resolution areas, and this is what ORBX and IPACS and others are aiming for. If you, on the other hand, want to fly 10 km above ground between these regions in a Boeing (which is included) the base scenery may be sufficient.

Moreover, IPACS provides tools for making your own scenery in their SDK. These are not some esoteric tools, but even ordinary people like me can use them (and I am doing it).

Seasons will be hard, I doubt there will be extended regions in 4 or 5 seasons, just because of the storage space. Live weather will certainly come one day, either provided by IPACS themselves or by 3rd parties.

There is still a lot missing in AeroflyFS like, e.g. ATC and AI traffic, however the performance and visuals are breathtaking.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael, your observations are spot on.  I don't have VR but AFS2 is a delight to fly in the detailed areas.  Having spent some time in Utah at Zion National Park, I went there in the sim and was blown away!  You can actually recognize particular rock formations.  Good stuff.

Thanks for the information Michael! I guessed some of what you said but it's good to get confirmation. For the time being, it sounds like Aerofly will be a more localized, highly detailed scenery sim instead of the full-on, worldwide simulation that is P3d v4 or FSX... would you agree with that?

5 hours ago, pmb said:

They would either have to use their conventional landclass system which is incompatible to AeroflyFS2 basically (and for a reason). Or, they would have to provide the whole world in high-resolution photo scenery in which case you better prepare to buy an SSD Server Farm.

This was something I was wondering about and your confirmed it... too bad. Don't get me wrong. I would love to have the entire world in photo scenery with perfectly placed autogen but, I know I don't have the hard drive space for that! :D 

Honestly, I LOVE P3d v4 with the addons, especially ORBX! But I am also greedy and want a highly detailed area, like Pacific Northwest with Taxi2Gate KSEA, in the PMDG 737, with Active Sky Weather and everything maxed out and I want it to perform at minimum of 60 fps. :D My hope was Aerofly would someday do that except with full seasons.

35 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Thanks for the information Michael! I guessed some of what you said but it's good to get confirmation. For the time being, it sounds like Aerofly will be a more localized, highly detailed scenery sim instead of the full-on, worldwide simulation that is P3d v4 or FSX... would you agree with that?

In a sense, yes. You actually can fly the whole world in AeroflyFS2 (contrary to AeroflyFS1 (from 2012) where the "world" ended at the borders of Switzerland). While I never tried this, I suppose for jets the resolution of the base scenery is even sufficient and there is a basic mesh and navaids worldwide, so you can fly between distant regions, there are just no detailed textures and no default airports either.

Kind regards, Michael

IPAC / AF2 built their own plane, period. It's no third party stuff that will be a FPS hog. Like we have to deal with FSX or P3D

It's built in house and with the same specs.

Big difference.

This morning and yesterday I was flying and filming at the new Gold Coast that I like a lot. After a wile I took a more complex plane and from 40 FPS it dropped into de 15 and less.

ORBX as proven that their product doesn't affect AF2 at all FPS wise. But I'm afraid that third party airplane will.

This is the limitation of... others sim platform.

Ben

I have done a few flights in jets between Chicago Mieg's (Orbx) and New York in AFS2. The resolution from cruise altitude between the two detailed areas is actually pretty alright for cruise. It didn't bother me one bit. 

About the scenery, it is photoreal ground textures, unlike the FSX landclass scenery, so an Orbx Global product which relies on landclass would not be possible. However, the detailed regions are well worth it. For free with AFS2 you get California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Colorado. Orbx's PNW and Netherlands regions are also something to look forward to. These regions are excellent for VFR, which is what AFS2 currently shines in, especially with the VR features.

Plane-wise, they're still developing aircraft systems, but the Q400 which they released last year is quite promising. No third-party developments yet but one user on the official forums is attempting to make a Cub. IPACS have stated they want to work on ATC before implementing more IFR features. 

Great input! Thanks everyone! That helps a lot. It sounds like great things are happening there with much more in store!

I don't think I will add Aerofly to my flight sim hobby (yet) but I do love the fact that there is another platform out there pushing the boundaries. It has been a fantastic couple years in the flight sim community!

On 2/28/2018 at 2:21 PM, Tim K said:

I don't think I will add Aerofly to my flight sim hobby (yet) but I do love the fact that there is another platform out there pushing the boundaries.

I've come to the same conclusion right now, and I'm a little low on enthusiasm too (ironically, after I dropped a wedge on a new graphics card and monitor).

I'm also keeping an eye on the VR scene as, despite having a simpit of (mostly) Saitek hardware, I think VR might be interesting (with use case outside of flight sim too). I can't quite bring myself to drop the dollars on VR just yet ... I think for that kind of coin I'd need to try before I buy, and that is unlikely here in NZ (ChCh) until it becomes common place. Not convinced resolution is there yet either, but I guess VR is a whole other topic of conversation.

Meanwhile, I too am keeping a closer eye on AFS2 as the 'jump in and fly VFR' appeals to me without the 10 minute 'startup' time for my P3Dv4 setup from cold PC to actual lift off.

(before you all jump in with advice about SSDs and optimizing and stuff like that; 10 mins is a pure and wild guess ... I haven't timed it, but sure feels like it!)

41 minutes ago, jpreou said:

I'm also keeping an eye on the VR scene as, despite having a simpit of (mostly) Saitek hardware, I think VR might be interesting (with use

Meanwhile, I too am keeping a closer eye on AFS2 as the 'jump in and fly VFR' appeals to me without the 10 minute 'startup' time for my P3Dv4 setup from cold PC to actual lift off.

If you have a Saitek-based simpit and have any interest in AeroflyFS2, you could to a good deed in going to the IPACS forum and telling them we need full Saitek support. At present, the Controls work well, however the Panels work "a bit" (the starter and several switches don't) and the Saitek FIPs remain in deep sleep, which I is a major annoyance as I invested into 9 of the guys.

I  tolds them several times and already feel a bit nasty myself, so it might help if someone else tells them.

Otherwise I like the whole atmosphere and feeling of AeroflyFS2 better than every other simulator's.

Kind regards, Micael

Hi @pmb I haven't yet purchased AFS2 and won't until it a) gains more traction with add-ons, and B) has at least a half-decent NZ base (since I only do NZ these days). Even so, I might go check out the forums and add to your / our cause for Saitek support. :)

Interestly I got the chance to checkout the Vive on Project Cars the other day at a local VR Room (they didn't have a flight sim), but my thoughts on VR remain as they were; for me, it is not yet ready.

31 minutes ago, jpreou said:

Hi @pmb I haven't yet purchased AFS2 and won't until it a) gains more traction with add-ons, and B) has at least a half-decent NZ base (since I only do NZ these days). Even so, I might go check out the forums and add to your / our cause for Saitek support. :)

Thank you, that would be very kind. Perhaps they wake up one day if being asked by different people.

As you may happen to know, I'm a big NZ fan as well. Here's a very rough rendition of Auckland I made myself using the tools/methods provided by IPACS

20180307221242_1.jpg

That's certainly nothing to be excited about, however, given this has been done using automatic tools and standard settings only and in view of the fact there is plain desert by default, I like it. It can certainly be improved upon notably by optimizing the cultivation script. In the hope Godzone will provide us a fine professional NZ in the not too far future I didn't want to take more effort into it - yet. I also modelled a very basic NZAA to have a hub available. 

Kind regards, Michael

Interesting. And yes, I had noticed your interest and enthusiasm for NZ. I'm down in ChCh and while I don't get to sim much and have lost a little enthusiasm just recently, at least my rig is back together (just bought the Desktop Aviator parking brake too). I'm concentrating solely on NZ. I did try some other photoscenery the other day for the Canterbury region, where I am, but it was covered / dotted in bright lime green trees which looked really odd, so I removed it. It wasn't Robin's work. I keep a close eye on what Robin is doing, credit card at the ready, and I know he is also keeping an eye on AFS2 ... so let's see what happens :)

Of course, anything ORBX-NZ is also a "must buy" but I have everything already and it doesn't come along very often!  (hint, hint, guys!)

On 13.3.2018 at 2:12 AM, jpreou said:

Interestly I got the chance to checkout the Vive on Project Cars the other day at a local VR Room (they didn't have a flight sim), but my thoughts on VR remain as they were; for me, it is not yet ready.

Just saw your posting. Thanks, we'll see what the heads have to say.

Kind regards, Michael

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2018 at 11:23 AM, jpreou said:

I've come to the same conclusion right now, and I'm a little low on enthusiasm too (ironically, after I dropped a wedge on a new graphics card and monitor).

I'm also keeping an eye on the VR scene as, despite having a simpit of (mostly) Saitek hardware, I think VR might be interesting (with use case outside of flight sim too). I can't quite bring myself to drop the dollars on VR just yet ... I think for that kind of coin I'd need to try before I buy, and that is unlikely here in NZ (ChCh) until it becomes common place. Not convinced resolution is there yet either, but I guess VR is a whole other topic of conversation.

(before you all jump in with advice about SSDs and optimizing and stuff like that; 10 mins is a pure and wild guess ... I haven't timed it, but sure feels like it!)

Hi there, I've just been reading some of the remarks here about Aerofly fs2 out of curiosity because I believe this sim is VR ready. I saw your comments and reservations on VR. While the resolution may not be up to monitor standard the immersion factor far outweighs any loss in resolution. The sense of speed and distance you get in VR is simply game changing. I haven't flown via a monitor now for well over a year. BTW I fly in P3D

On 9/6/2019 at 6:16 PM, mattdee said:

Hi there, I've just been reading some of the remarks here about Aerofly fs2 out of curiosity because I believe this sim is VR ready. I saw your comments and reservations on VR. While the resolution may not be up to monitor standard the immersion factor far outweighs any loss in resolution. The sense of speed and distance you get in VR is simply game changing. I haven't flown via a monitor now for well over a year. BTW I fly in P3D

Yeah, people often say that and when I hired a Vive Pro the 'general immersion' was indeed fantastic but I really want to be able to read those gauges. Actually, I just stripped down my entire simrig and converted it to car racing for my little lad. Maybe I'll get back into it in a year or so but I needed to make a decision whether to go paragliding or invest in VR ... paragliding won and I will start the training and buy the gear in the lead up to Christmas. When I get back, I expect VR to be ready for me!  :)

Archived