Elvis has left the building

andy1252

OK, so I found an old Convair 880 on the web some time back, but it wouldn't fly in v4. A few days ago I found an alternate CV880 complete with a "Lisa Marie" repaint, but it's probably even older and flakier than my first version - I couldn't even load it on the ground at KLAS, even though it loads and is ok at other locations (maybe memory issues). So I cheated a bit. I have a somewhat nicer (but still not v4 capable) model of the CV-990, which I used to get off the ground at KLAS, and then switched in to my Elvis costume once we were airborne.

I've kept my P3Dv3 setup for these sort of moments, but removed pretty much all my non-Orbx scenery from it. Still looks pretty good, and I've got my Sky Force working there too.

So, orf we jolly well go!

7XU4yWP.jpg

XFJHwFa.jpg

Even this one is a bit of a struggle to get airborne. Don't know if that's the flight model not reacting well to P3D or my usual lack of piloting skills. Almost ran out of runway but got there in the end

7sJsdyn.jpg

And at this point, I managed to switch to the CV880. It's a weird thing, but if I load it at start up at KLAS I get just a skeletal body and engines. Loads ok at Eglin (my default) so I'm guessing it might be a memory issue. Anyway, we're here now! Elvis has most definitely left the building!

2radxVv.jpg

G9xY0ha.jpg

Not the prettiest of models, but it was made for FS2002, so it ain't doing too badly!

TsedEZu.jpg

Got a bit of height now, just circling round

BMd4iyL.jpg

Lb2Fw6e.jpg

Hathangyouveymuch for looking y'all!

Vey cool Andy.  My grandfather owned a auto repair garage, it's where I got my love for fixing things.  He had a lot of money so he bought an original Elvis pink Cadillac.  And to make it even funnier he had enough room in his backyard to hold like 30 cars but always kept it parked in front of the house on the street.  It was a real beauty, he was mighty proud of that thing.

I'm jealous, Jack! Access to a pink Cadillac would be so much fun as a kid - just hanging out leaning against it would make you the cool kid on the block (assuming your gramps didn't catch you doing it, of course). Never seen a live one, but I did visit a fellow instructor's place on a visit to Sunnyvale and discovered her husband was a wheel nut, complete with a pink Chevy Impala parked outside - the good one, the '59 convertible with the huge horizontal fins. Absolute magic! As for myself, I was an old Mercedes guy. You could pick up the stretched S-class over here for a couple of thou and get a good few years out of them. Not a sports car kind of guy, but I did love cruising along in 20 feet of v8 all cocooned in leather and aircon. Which is a bit of a challenge when your drive to work was all single lane country roads <grin> Nowadays it's a Honda that doesn't go anywhere (because I don't!)

2 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

I'm jealous, Jack! Access to a pink Cadillac would be so much fun as a kid - just hanging out leaning against it would make you the cool kid on the block (assuming your gramps didn't catch you doing it, of course). Never seen a live one, but I did visit a fellow instructor's place on a visit to Sunnyvale and discovered her husband was a wheel nut, complete with a pink Chevy Impala parked outside - the good one, the '59 convertible with the huge horizontal fins. Absolute magic! As for myself, I was an old Mercedes guy. You could pick up the stretched S-class over here for a couple of thou and get a good few years out of them. Not a sports car kind of guy, but I did love cruising along in 20 feet of v8 all cocooned in leather and aircon. Which is a bit of a challenge when your drive to work was all single lane country roads <grin> Nowadays it's a Honda that doesn't go anywhere (because I don't!)

He used to drive me around in it I remember it was huge, I was just a kid at the time.  I loved the huge tail fins too.  He had a lot of cars as they'd come and go with his fancy but I loved that old huge Crome beast.  But that pink was garish, the neighbors didn't mind, they knew he was kind of eccentric.  Those were the days, I'll bet that car weighed more than several Hondas.

Excellent find Andy and how good to see the 880 and 990 in the air again.

Wonderful stories too from you and Jack. 

Driving an "S" class in country lanes is quite a great effort.

Talking of long cars, I saw on my recent Thailand trip not one but two Checkers in museums. The guide in the second museum could not believe I recognised it and was also surprised when I chose the beautiful Austin Healy as my favourite car there.

I can remember trying without success to get a Cv 990  to run inV2.4. Spantax used to fly the 990s into Bournemouth on Mondays and I used to see the Swissair ones when we lived near Guildford on their way out of LHR. I only ever saw one 880 though, a CX one at LGW one Sunday. 

Wonderful to remember seeing these rare birds.

15 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Way to blow the dust off of an FS20002 paint Andy, whew! And some nice stories to go along with the screenies! Even better :)

Cheers Sniper. T'aint bad for an oldie, is she? I'd really like a good modern 880 - I know it's pretty much a DC-8 but it was such a speedster in its day, and it would be hugely satisfying to have a bang up to date version of the Elvis one, with full interior and all.

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Driving an "S" class in country lanes is quite a great effort.

Hi Martyn, no worries actually - 'specially with an old one where you're not too bothered about the paintwork. Most people will back off PDQ with 2 ton of Merc facing them in a lane like that, and if they don't I've never had a problem with reversing - it's fun nipping along at 20 or so in reverse in one of those. I still see the odd 560 SEL on ebay or similar and would be dearly tempted if I had a bit of spare cash - but reality has to be considered these days (well, some of these days at least)

9 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Swell bunch of shots here for sure!

Thanks Bermuda!

And in the end, Elvis flew on to SLC for a concert with the Tabernacle Choir, so I may yet post the shots of the remainder of his flight. Unfortunately, no footage of the concert remains today.

Archived