Special Visitors at YMML

Scott Harmes

I was at YMML Tullamarine (Melbourne) Airport today very briefly, but there was a flurry of takeoffs as I was at one of the cargo businesses outside of the boundary fence.  I took quite a few snaps on my Samsung Galaxy, which were unfortunately pretty average quality.  Despite this, I thought I would share some pics of a couple of "special visitors" I saw; a RAAF A330 MRTT taking off and a RAAF C-17 Globemaster III parked on the ramp.  It is not often I have seen any military aircraft at YMML.

20180208_115305.jpg

20180208_115309.jpg

20180208_115311.jpg

20180208_115318.jpg

20180208_115321.jpg

20180208_122036.jpg

20180208_122049.jpg

Cheers,

Great effort John, and some nice shots here. :) Thanks for posting. And as for bringing your camera, not sure what kind of work you do, but you could always just say you have your camera and use it for 'Research and Development' purposes...kind of a blanket answer that covers lots of 'gray areas' :D

Thanks for showing these wonderful photos.:)

I like the Dreamliner and of course that ANZ 773.

It would be about 15 years since I saw any military at YMML then it was an RAAF BBJ and before that another 15 years and an American P-3C type.

Almost as rare as hen's  teeth.:lol:

Very good pictures John.  Nice of you to show off Air NZ painting too

The RNZ Airforce Base at Ohakea was part of my area I had to cover along with the town of Bulls.

(and that's no Bull), I had the opportunity to go onboard a USAF 'Starlifter' that was heading or coming back from the Antartic.  The amazing scene in watching one of those, when full of gas, was how close the tip of the wing got to the ground when taking off.

I was also involved when one of the Australian Air Force F1-11 (I think that was the name) ran off the end of Ohakea's runway.  It's nose was balancing on the edge of a 25ft drop and it was leaning over at a very dangerous position. Something like 30-degree angle.  

What I remember most about this, was asking for Airforce staff members to block the two roads at each end.  Funny, when it really happens you can't find anyone, yet in a practice run I had more of their staff than what I knew what to do with.

Jim

Archived