Could some one explain Preview DirectX10

JimNZ

Hello All.

I have had to work on FSX lately.

It was then that Preview DirectX 10 came into play.  Since I bought my new computer, about 7 odd months ago, (I only have Orbx products onboard) flying has been a joy with Preview DirectX 10 checked.  Just before Xmas, to get more GB's back with more scenery in the tube, I uninstalled a large number of games that the Grandies had put on.  Went to fly, and found all these black squares within the scenery.  I found Nick's great advice and unchecked DirectX 10.  Great, everything back to normal.  I had a play around at this stage, checked DirectX again, back came the black squares, so now it stays unchecked.

Why does this happen.  I checked google but it didn't really answer my question.

Do you lose anything by not using DirectX?

I would very much like to know the answer to these two questions.  If someone could oblige, I'd be very grateful.

21 minutes ago, BradB said:

Hey Jim it has been a very long time since I used FSX , but when I did Steve's DX10 fixer was the way to go : https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/

Cheers

John

Hey John, you don't know what you're missing. All the aggravation when it's snafu and all the joy when it "sometimes" runs perfectly:D. And I know, because so far it's all i am using at least for now.:wacko:

Briefly, DX10 was not quite ready when Microsoft released FSX so they put in a preview mode.  Since it wasn't ready you have flaws like black squares. Steve (don't know his full name) came along and developed the Scenery Fixer which pretty much fixes the problems.  

My personal recommendation, based on my personal experience is that if you want to stay in FSX you should try the fixer.  The graphics and shadows are much better.  Some people, but not all, get performance improvements in DX10.  I did.   However, if you have an Nvidia card you need to use the Nvidia inspector and if you have an AMD card it needs to be up to date and you need to use Catalyst Control Center or the most recent version of what they call it now.

I would like to say a big thanks to the gentlemen above.  The reading that I was directed to, was very enlightening, making me better understand why Direct X behaved like it does and why Steve's fixer is a must.  In many cases it actually improves the scenery.

Bullfrog, I couldn't say this before reading the above, but can now say yes, you are so right.

If anyone, particularly the new sim pilots don't understand this important part of FSX read the comments and direction above.  You will understand a lot more about what goes on in FSX and Steve's Fixer.

Jim. 

Archived