Frequent Freezing/Pauses in Southern California

Simboy

I recently downloaded NA Northern California and NA Southern California regions.

I also have FTX Global, FTX Vector and FTX Global Open LC North America.

When I fly between any two airports (KSNA - KTOA) in Southern California in C-172. I am facing following issues:

• My frame rates are dropping from 30 FPS to spiking between 11 - 23 FPS (FSX frame rates are locked at 30 FPS)
  • FSX is freezing/Pauses for 2 to 3 seconds. This happens at least 3 or 4 times in a short flight of 20 mins.

I have set the Autogen Density = Normal

I cannot enjoy my VFR flights in So CAL. Is there any resolution to this issues?

Flying VFR flights in Northern CAL is just wonderful, but not in So CAL.

Just an update.

When I disable (uncheck) the following the NA Southern California regions scenery in "Scenery Library", I get no freezing/Pauses and my FPS are in 28 - 30.

FTX_NA_SCA05_SCENERY

FTX_NA_SCA06_CVX

FTX_NA_SCA07_MESH

FTX_NA_SCA08_CUSTOM

I am hoping somebody will have some resolution.

It would help the moderators if you listed your system specs and the sim you are flying, so that they can see what might causing the bottle neck.  SCA is very intense, and there are a few settings that might help, but not knowing the specifics of your system and your sim makes diagnosis impossible.

As requested below are the specs of my PC

CPU - i7 5820K @3.3 GHz OC to 4.1 GHz

Mother Board - MSI X99S SLI Plus with LGA 2011.3

RAM - DDR4 32 GB @2400 MHz

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 @ 4 GB

Flight Sim - FSX with Acceleration Pack (SP1 and SP2)

Operating System - Windows 10 creators update

Add On Aircraft - None (using only default FSX Aircraft)

Add On Scenery - Orbx Products only

FSUIPC with WideFS - Full license

During my testing for NA Southern California region, I am using only Default Cessna C-172

I will follow also this as with the ORBX Germany (North, South it does not matter) I have at least 8-10 fps loss, and as you, when I deactivate them from the scenery (and the FTX Global and openLC Europe remain), frames are getting back to normal.

And to have more input for the developers, my system is:

i9 7900X (core 0 @4.6Ghz, other @4.4Ghz)

Asus X299 Prime Deluxe

EVGA 1080TI FTW3, latest driver

RAM DDR4 32 GB@3200MHz GSkill quad channel

P3D v4, Win 10 Pro

Samsung 850 Evo for the P3D and Samsung  840 Pro in Raid for Windows.

4K resolution, 30Hz set for the monitor (I always have smooth 30 fps but with ORBX Germany drops to 22 fps..average)

It does not matter if I test at an airport add-on or at a default airport, is the same fps loss.

FreeBird,

I tried putting in your suggestion (turning off vector and landclass)  as below, but it did not stop the freezing/Pauses. This time I tried flying from KSBA (Santa Barbara) to KLAX (Los Angeles). I received around 3 freezing/Pauses for 2 to 3 seconds each. This also drops frame rates as before from 30 FPS to spiking between 15 - 23 FPS 

Disabled (unchecked) the following  scenery in "Scenery Library"

ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_EU1

ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_NA1

ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_NA2

ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_AA

ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_OBJ

Is there any other VECTOR Object I should disable for further testing?

I use sim starterNG to manage my scenery and to start my sim. I have all Scenery set up in areas so as to not load or index scenery's that I'm no ware near. I beleve there are 6 vector entries plus vector aec. Ever since I have taken this approach I have no more of those annoying pauses or freezing. I do get the occasional pause as when night lighting turns on or you get close to a big Orbx airport I might get a quick little pause but nothing like the pauses I had before this approach. Ive done allot of experiments on this for the last year and found that using SimStarter is the way to go. When I fly online with other's and they have those pauses I don't.  If you really look hard theses pause happen in the same place. Also 15 to 23 FPS in downtown LA is about as good as it gets.Josh

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:32 AM, FreeBird said:

I believe there are 6 vector entries plus vector aec. Ever since I have taken this approach I have no more of those annoying pauses or freezing.

Can you please give some clear details as to which land class and 6 vector entries, that you are disabling or unchecking while flying in the NA Southern California region? Can you provide which title in Scenery Library are you disabling or unchecking.? This will help all of us in resolving this issue.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:32 AM, FreeBird said:

If you really look hard theses pause happen in the same place. Also 15 to 23 FPS in downtown LA is about as good as it gets.Josh

You are right, these freezing/Pauses are happening at the same position of Latitude and Longitude. Well, if the FPS are going to drop down, It would have been nice, if Orbx mentioned in their products sale page as a warning to customers.

Currently, I just cannot fly any of my PMDG aircrafts 737, 777, 747 or MD11 in LA area, I immediately get OOM error. Only option left is to disable the NA Southern California region. It is sad that I paid for it, but cannot use it. I hope there is resolution to this issue.

Welcome to the world of flight sim. You will have to turn down settings. Stop chasing frames. A move to P3D would be a move in the right direction in eliminating OOMs. Any addon is going to add more load on the system. I got a good system and even I have trouble in this area as far as performance. I don't fly tubes just GA aircraft. There are guides on other flight sim forums that have troubleshooting and tuning information that might help you, just do a search.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2017 at 2:13 AM, Simboy said:

Can you please give some clear details as to which land class and 6 vector entries, that you are disabling or unchecking while flying in the NA Southern California region? Can you provide which title in Scenery Library are you disabling or unchecking.? This will help all of us in resolving this issue.

Did you ever get the answer to this question?  I have the same issue and I am looking for a solution.  Any help you can provide is most appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:49 AM, zkerr8 said:

Did you ever get the answer to this question?  I have the same issue and I am looking for a solution.  Any help you can provide is most appreciated.

Hello zkerr8,

I did not get any answer from FreeBird. But, I did find a temporary solution, I will be posting soon.

Just an update.

After much trial and error, following temporary changes has helped me get back FPS to 28-30 and most of my freezing and pauses are gone. I can now fly my stock Cessna, and GA tube liners

When I disable (uncheck) the following the NA Southern California regions scenery in "Scenery Library", I get no freezing/Pauses and my FPS are in 28 - 30.

FTX_NA_SCA05_SCENERY. The main culprit of freezing and pauses is found in FTX_NA_SCA05_SCENERY folder.

I then created a new folder "ORBX_SCA" under "Addon Scenery" as below:

Addon Scenery\ORBX_SCA

Also created sub folders for "scenery" and "texture" as below:

Addon Scenery\ORBX_SCA\scenery

Addon Scenery\ORBX_SCA\texture

Copied only those airports which I normally fly from "FTX_NA_SCA05_SCENERY\scenery"  to the above new folder "Addon Scenery\ORBX_SCA\scenery"

For example: flying from KSBA TO KLAX

Copied the following files

1) ADE_FTX_SCA_KSBA.bgl

2) ADE_FTX_SCA_KSBA_CVX.bgl

3) ADE_FTX_SCA_KSBA_GP.bgl

4) FTX_SCA_objects_KSBA_PLC.bgl

5) ADE_FTX_SCA_KLAX.bgl

6) ADE_FTX_SCA_KLAX_CVX.bgl

7) ADE_SCA_objects_KLAX_PLC.bgl

I left the texture folder "Addon Scenery\ORBX_SCA\texture" blank, with no textures. As time permits, I will add textures and check the sim. This is going to be a long drawn out process.

the new folder "Addon Scenery\ORBX_SCA" is having the same priority order as before for example:

Addon Scenery\ORBX_SCA

FTX_NA_SCA06_CVX

FTX_NA_SCA07_MESH

FTX_NA_SCA08_CUSTOM

PLEASE NOTE: The above changes will take away major scenery objects from NA Southern California regions. 

Hi there,

interesting tests.

In terms of the airports it's likely that the object placement files have the highest cumulative effect, given the density of airports and airfields in the LA Basin. Thus, I'd focus on the ADE_SCA_objects_{ICAO}_PLC.bgl files, while the ADE_FTX_SCA_{ICAO}.bgl/ADE_FTX_SCA_{ICAO}_CVX.bgl file pairs contain the basic facility data that shouldn't have much performance impact (they mostly replace the default airport data 1:1, just in different positions) and are required for proper display of flattens and airport integration in the surrounding SCA landscape.

I have read in developer forums that the custom ground polys (custom runway/taxiway/apron markings) that we place at some airports can be quite heavy on performance, particularly in P3D. Those are the files with the _GP suffix, e.g., ADE_FTX_SCA_KSBA_GP.bgl, so you might want to check whether removing just those would help with reducing stutters.

The textures in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SCA05_SCENERY\texture should not have much, if any, impact on performance and I'd suggest restoring those. In fact, not having them included will make the sim search for them repeatedly, which might cause micro-stutters or fps drops in themselves.

Cheers, Holger

As I have stated before disabling Vector and NA LC when in SCA solves all the pausing. This is also true in Europe too. You can ether un tick them or use a utility like sim starter to do it for you. This approach has eliminated all pauses in my simulator. Josh

Simboy

i really appreciate the thorough response. Dumb question for ya.....if I uncheck FTX_NA_SCA05_SCENERY from the library, won’t I lose the beautiful details and textures that is ORBX NA SoCal?  Not to say your solution won’t work, but I might as well uninstall it in its entirety and use global, vector and NA LC....no?  Am i missing something......?

Im beginning to think freebird’s solution is the best option.....until I fly out of the region and into global/vector territory. Then I’m screwed!

Z

3 hours ago, zkerr8 said:

Im beginning to think freebird’s solution is the best option.....until I fly out of the region and into global/vector territory. Then I’m screwed!

Z

That's the beauty of sim starterNG if you know your going to fly out of a region into a LC area it is really easy to turn those on with just a ck mark in a box. Believe me the pauses were nothing but a pain so I spent allot of time trying to figure it out. I believe it is a combination of things so I take the approach of lessening the load on the simulator by not loading what inst needed for the flight that I am doing and by not running vector or LC when in regions. Josh

8 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

When flying in a region, Vector is disabled automatically, according to Holger.

I never herd that one. All I know is if Vector and LC  are disabled in regions the pauses stop. Here is a discussion from a few years ago on a similar situation. I also herd from Holger on this and he said it is just a phenomena of the simulator. Try this go to Murry Filed and land on runway 12. Right at touchdown you will get a pause of 2 seconds. Even in default there is a slight pause at that same spot but very unnoticeable unless you are looking for it. If I disable Vector and LC the pauses stop. This is also tru at all the spots that I have noted were pauses happen. I don't know the insides of the simulator but do know that I'm pause free using my approach.  Josh

Holger's advice is mentioned a few times here on the forums.

Since Ainscough is noting an issue with P3Dv2.x, you would think the issue might have been cleared up by the time of P3Dv4.1.  Have you tried disabling only LC in the regions and leaving Vector alone, since it's disabled anyway within the regions?

4 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Holger's advice is mentioned a few times here on the forums.

Since Ainscough is noting an issue with P3Dv2.x, you would think the issue might have been cleared up by the time of P3Dv4.1.  Have you tried disabling only LC in the regions and leaving Vector alone, since it's disabled anyway within the regions?

I have tried everything. I don't have this problem anymore and am just trying to help those that do by sharing my findings.  I believe it to be in the reading of the indexes and the less of those the better the sim runs. I haven't had a pause in over a year now using my method.

It has been posted many times that the regions exclude everything,

including vector and landclass so that the bespoke features of the regions

can function correctly.

If you find that disabling the flight simulator leaves you free of pauses,

then that is very good for you.

Personally, I would prefer to see everything that is on offer regardless of

the occasional performance glitch and clearly we cannot support either the

concept or the application of disabling parts of FTX products.

I followed Freebird's suggestion and disabled all vector and NALC entries in the scenery library....and to my surprise.....IT WORKED!  All of the intermittent pausing/freezing I was experiencing completed disappeared!  Not sure if I have sacrificed any texture quality by deactivating these things.....but I am guessing the full fat region of NorCal and SoCal overrides all of the benefits of vector/LC anyway, so hopefully i am experiencing these regions as ORBX intended.....and its a beautiful thing!  Thanks for the advice guys!  And happy new year to all!

Archived