Do not buy anymore OpenLC products until...

Hello everyone who has comparable problems and hello everyone who possibly knows 'the' solution...

Although OpenLC South America looks very good and it is very tempting to purchase, I have decided not to buy any other OpenLC products until it is clear, what the solution is for the problems with repeatedly 'interrupted download' if trying to install OpenLC EUR and OpenLC NA.
I have checked and tried all posible solutions. I recently did a suggestion to create a solution document for the - also with other installations excisting - problems with the installation of Orbx products.

Do not get me wrong. I do greatly appreciate the products of Orbx and see how much hard work is done to create new beautifull products and also to solve problems.
I think however, it is time for a more organized problem solution database, with good search and feedback possibilities. With the feedback, such a database can be kept up to date and 'sharpened' to make it possible to solve even the most rarely occurring problemcause and problem solution.

Hope there will be some constructive reactions on this post.

Kind regards,

Bram Stikkel

Sorry, but if you are having these problems I believe they are not universal..I have done several re-installs over the past few years and Orbx has never failed me.. I   have had occasional problems, but the team usually solved them and showed me that the problems were usually self inflicted. As far as downloading payware, I have, allowing for the fact that I am very old and my memory is not the best, had an un-fixable DL problem. Teecee.

Hi, just for the record and for a feedback; I had installation problems in the very beginning of the new FTX mode. But since then and so far, I installed ev'rything without any single issue but if linked to Internet problem I had by myself; I mean, not due to FTX limitations. 

Sorry for your troubles, BTW

Like the others - except for not being able to have a configuration option to put the temp download on any drive other than the "C" drive - have not had any download problems I can attribute to FTX Central - now my service provider - that is another story

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't had issues downloading anything from Orbx.  I downloaded and installed all three current openLCs without any issues.

I think support from Orbx is pretty good.  IMHO, questions posted in the support forum are generally answered in a reasonable amount of time.  

However, it can sometimes be a challenge to search the forums for existing solutions.

(I hate to post a question that has already been answered a dozen times, so I always search the forums first!)   

Depending on your choice of search words, results may vary from no hits at all to hundreds of hits unrelated to your problem.  If you search for "KORS runway in a trench", it may not return an "Orcas airport elevation issue" post that has a solution to your problem.

A standardized format and/or list of key words for making support posts might help in the existing forum structure.   For instance:

Product/ICAO/Location - Problem type (texture/vector/land class/mesh/object/sound/purchase/install) - specify problem.  

Titles like "KORS - mesh - elevation issue" , "KORS - mesh - runway in trench", "KLSV - vector - river across runway", "openLC NA - purchase - download failure"

The downside is that it requires customers to actually use the format and key words!

Would a sub-forum for each product help or just be cumbersome?

Support

- Payware support 

- FTX Global

- Base

- Vector

- OpenLC

- NA

- EU ....

- Regions

- PNW

- NRM

- CRM .....

- Airports

- 05S

- 65S

- CYBD

- KBLU ....

Your suggestion for a list/data base of the solutions to known problems sounds like it could be helpful.

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I fear it may be a non starter for the reason you quoted.

The downside is that it requires customers to actually use the format and key words!

This is not to imply criticism, the same prevails where a system like your suggestion has been

in place for years and that forum's search facility is very difficult to use and not very effective.

Thank you all for your positive reactions and sorry if I gave the impression to be negative. I suppose I just am disappointed by the repeatedly trying to solve the problem without any succes. 
Do you think it could be a internetconnection problem indeed ? Point is, I never have any other downloadproblems. but I can try to search the solution in that corner. I will try to connect to another networkpoint.
Thanks too for all the co-thinking about my suggestion. About the use of the correct searchwords: My expirience is, there are all kinds of bits and pieces of solution for the same problem (or a problem with the same utter characteristics) spread over a lot of topics, old and recent.
I tried most of the solutions suggested in these many topics, but the problem remains.
I wil try the other internetconnection.

Could deïnstalling and reínstalling FTX Central be a solution?

Kind regards,

Bram Stikkel

You also have to investigation into your Windows core. Download flow can be broken incase of remaning malware, wrong wifi/ethernet firmware or missing security services

Thanks for your idears to solve the problem, Richard. I do really appreciate your - yours and from everyone who tries to help - input.

The strange thing, is the problem only occurs with the two OpenLC products I have and only with the P3Dv4 FTX Central part. In FSX all goes well.
That suggests to me, there is a problem with leftbehind settings or downloadparts that block a normal download and installation process.
Only in this case, the option to erase the left downloadparts, in settings, does not solve the problem.

Could de-installing and reïnstalling FTX Central be worth the try or do I mess up all then ?

Kind regards!
Bram 

Bram and any one else with this issue. I suffered from this and then I worked what the cause was for me and probably for a lot of folkes.

I think the solution is very simple make sure you have enough free space on your C: drive.

FTX Central downloads all the product to a temporary folder in you C: drive(it lets you delete it after the installation finished, a pop asks do you want to delete the temp). Now if you do not have 30GB free space, the download runs out of space on the C: drive the download stops and FTX Central says something went wrong do you want to start again.

Barm this could be why it only happens with LC products because the are massive.

Hope this helps.

Seb

Hello Seby.h, and all following this topic.
Thanks for the proposed solution, checking the available space on the c drive.
Without allready having checked that, I would say, it would be great if FTX Central would get an option to choose the drive in which the products are temporarily unpacked.
I will check the amount of space on c ofcourse.
oldboy43,,
I tried a different internet connection, but the problem remains.
I am going to check ou the 'amount of space' solution.

Thanks for helping again, everyone.

Just tested out the solution of creating more empty space at the c:\ harddisk. Before uninstalling several unused or temporary not essential programs, there was about 37 Gb empty diskspace . After the 'clearning up', 135 Gb is free.
Full of expectation I started the update of OpenLC EU again and... pfff. Still the same issue.

Until now I tried the next solutions:

Cleaned FTX Central of rest parts of downloads.

Excluded diskerrors by Checking and repairing the harddisks for errors (as well the c:-drive as the drives with FSX and P3Dv4 on it.
Tried downloading via another network connection (no networkhubs between the modem and the pc).

Tried to remove the temp files in Users - Application Data - local - Orbx

Solved possible errors in the Windows Register with CCleaner.
Created 135 Gb free space at the C:drive

I now will uninstall and reinstall again FTX Central. Have I understood well, I actually only have to delete the FTX Central files in Application Data, local, Orbx ?

Will keep you updated. Any other idears are very welcome, ofcourse :-)

Regards!
Bram

1 hour ago, bstikkel said:

Cleaned FTX Central of rest parts of downloads.

Excluded diskerrors by Checking and repairing the harddisks for errors (as well the c:-drive as the drives with FSX and P3Dv4 on it.
Tried downloading via another network connection (no networkhubs between the modem and the pc).

Tried to remove the temp files in Users - Application Data - local - Orbx

Solved possible errors in the Windows Register with CCleaner.
Created 135 Gb free space at the C:drive

Adding to the list above:
Changed the security permissions on the c:-drive of normal user to "everything allowed"

Unfortunately no positive result.

Problem keeps occurring after "searching for files to update"  with

FSX update of OpenLC EU
P3Dv4 installation of OpenLC EU and OpenLC NA

Is there anyone who can really interprete the information in the error logs ?
Attaching them did not work, since max uploadsize is strange enough 10 kb...

I really start feeling a bit desparate again...

Really sorry nothing worked so far. Ever since I cleared space on the C drive I have had no issues.

Hang in there mate. I am sure there is a solution. I recall ORBX has a procedure for down loading and installing on a offline PC. Look it up and try it.

On 8/14/2017 at 9:13 PM, bstikkel said:

I now will uninstall and reinstall again FTX Central. Have I understood well, I actually only have to delete the FTX Central files in Application Data, local, Orbx ?

Will keep you updated. Any other idears are very welcome, ofcourse :-)

Regards!
Bram

If you want to reinstall without re-downloading already installed addons do the following.

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM DOUG A ORBX TEAM MEMBER:  So, go to your Sim\Orbx\User Documents\Versions folder and delete the corresponding .txt file, this will tell FTXC3 that they are no longer installed and allows you to reinstall them.

When you run FTX central it installs from the already downloaded files and only down load any additional file it needs, BUT this works for previously installed ORBX addons.

Hi Seby.h, thanks for helping thinking out solutions ánd for your encouragment ! Really appreciated ! 
I can report one step closer to where to find the solution and this is the fact, I have been able to install every Orbx addon at a different pc, without any problems.
So: no problem with the network connection or Orbx server itself, I can conclude now. It múst be something at the pc itself.

I think I will take the step to uninstall FTX Central and clear up the nessesary files as Dough advises.
Thanks again!
Bram

• Cleaned FTX Central of rest parts of downloads.
  • Excluded diskerrors by Checking and repairing the harddisks for errors (as well the c:-drive as the drives with FSX and P3Dv4 on it.
  • Tried downloading via another network connection (no networkhubs between the modem and the pc).
  • Tried to remove the temp files in Users - Application Data - local - Orbx
  • Solved possible errors in the Windows Register with CCleaner.
  • Created 135 Gb free space at the C:drive
  • Changed the security permissions on the c:-drive of normal user to "everything allowed"
  • Uninstalled (removed) FTX Central and reinstalled it again from the recently re-downloaded file.

Next thing I am going to try is, removing the amount of space for system-restore at c: and setting a very low virtual memory amount at c:, both hoping that these two settings, in an invisible way, take lots of  diskspace from the c: drive.

Okay, tried the latest two options:  removing the amount of space for system-restore at c: and setting a very low virtual memory amount at c:
Without positive result,unfortunately again.
Also tried the manual downloadoption, which did not change the result. This, however, is a strong indication, the problem is somewhere in the installation proces and possibly in one file that is allready at the pc and that one way or another stops the installation proces

Now trying to move out and (if it does not help) move back several files in Users/Appdata/Orbx.
I will keep you informed

Okay, tried the latest two options:  removing the amount of space for system-restore at c: and setting a very low virtual memory amount at c:
Without positive result,unfortunately again.
Also tried the manual downloadoption, which did not change the result. This, however, is a strong indication, the problem is somewhere in the installation proces and possibly in one file that is allready at the pc and that one way or another stops the installation proces

Hello Nick,

Thanks for pointing me at the "enough" space factor.
I did check the amount of free space at the c:drive and the drives on which FSX and P3Dv4 are installed.
The C: drive has 135 Gb free space and the other two are having enouhg too (I do not remember exactly at this moment)
However, the thing of moving the location of the TMP and TEMP is one thing I have not yet tried.
It seems most effective to move them to a different fysical drive with enough space, do you agree ?
I am going to try this right now and keep you informed.
Kind regards!

Bram 

Hi Nick,

Just relocated the TMP and TEMP, following the instructions you gave.
Now trying the installation again, ofcourse after restarting the pc.

Some strange things happened after restarting the pc. There appeared 7 small information-windows, each telling a logfile.ini (each a different number) was missing.

Solved that by going to the appdata/temp folder, finding, copying the logfiles there and pasting them in... the new disklocation, where initially were no TEMP and TMP files or directories. Created them myself and pasted the missing logfiles in the new TEMP directory. Restarted again and yes: no more info-windows.
The strang things are, in my exectation, the Temp folder is still in the Appdata location and there was no Temp location at the new destination.
Appearantly, windows does now look at the new location...

Wel, after typing this I take a look at the FS pc and ... - deep sigh - still the same interruption of the download message of FTX Central.

Going on with the files in Appdata/Orbx/...
It is all I can think of anymore.

In the meantime I investigated, if the cause of the download interruption was in one (ore more) of the files, situated in "Username"/Appdata/local/Orbx.

One by one I removed the files, the ones that are directly in the "Username"/Appdata/local/Orbx.location and the ones that are in the several directories in it.
Removing some, cause a not functioning at all of FTX Central, which is understandable.
Most of them do not influence the starting up of FTX Central and the option to download the update for OLC EU.
However, in all cases that FTX Central does start, the download interrupt keeps coming up.

Found however a FTXc3.txt file with an interesting content, It is a lot of text, but there is a part of text that says: "[2017-06-02_03-34-30- 3.2.0.3] - System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server."

It says, "A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server"  Interesting question here, is which server is ment.
Could there be a cause at my PC that makes the server of Orbx close it's connection?

(below: content of ftxc3.txt)
[2016-11-05_07-59-08- 3.0.0.36] - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: collection
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at Orbx.FTXCentral.Services.ProductRepository.<UpdateProductBuilds>d__20.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Orbx.FTXCentral.ViewModel.MainWindowViewModel.<LoadWindowContent>d__66.MoveNext()
[2017-06-02_03-34-30- 3.2.0.3] - System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server.
   at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request)
   at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data)
   at PusherClient.HttpAuthorizer.Authorize(String channelName, String socketId)
   at PusherClient.Pusher.SubscribeToChannel(ChannelTypes type, String channelName)
   at PusherClient.Pusher.SubscribeExistingChannels()
   at PusherClient.Pusher._connection_ConnectionStateChanged(Object sender, ConnectionState state)
   at PusherClient.Connection.ChangeState(ConnectionState state)
   at PusherClient.Connection.ParseConnectionEstablished(String data)
   at WebSocket4Net.WebSocket.ExecuteCommand(WebSocketCommandInfo commandInfo)
   at WebSocket4Net.WebSocket.OnDataReceived(Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 length)
   at SuperSocket.ClientEngine.AsyncTcpSession.ProcessReceive(SocketAsyncEventArgs e)
   at System.Net.Sockets.SocketAsyncEventArgs.OnCompleted(SocketAsyncEventArgs e)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Net.Sockets.SocketAsyncEventArgs.FinishOperationSuccess(SocketError socketError, Int32 bytesTransferred, SocketFlags flags)
   at System.Net.Sockets.SocketAsyncEventArgs.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
   at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)

Can you delete that log file (so we get fresh data), then try an install from the manual download (i.e. "install options" -> "install from my manually downloaded .zip")?  There should be minimal network traffic with this option, so we should be able to determine the issue with FTX Central using that method.

The exception you posted there was unrelated to the actual download functionality of FTX Central (it was for the real-time communication that OrbxDirect does with FTXC).

The most helpful error for us will be a screenshot after the download is interrupted, not in the log file.

Hello 

Ben Mclintock

Here's my fourth attempt to get the error screenshots in this topic. For me the three screenshots are visible. Hope that counts for you as well.

This is the errormessge after the failed download to update OLC EU in FSX
FTX%20Download%20Error%20OLC%20EU%20in%2

Then here is the errormessge after the failed download to install OLC EU in Prepar3Dv

FTX%20Download%20Error%20OLC%20EU%20in%2

And last downhere the errormessge after the failed download to install OLC NA in Prepar3Dv4

FTX%20Download%20Error%20OLC%20NA%20in%2

Thanks for the help.

Hello Ben,

With all respects for the fact there are more problems to solve than only mine, I would appreciate a kind of reaction, or in reponse at the pm with the errormessages you asked me to sent, or in response at this forumtopic where I also added the by you requested download-errormessages. This forum is the only official support option for Orbx FTX customers, so I would really appreciate some response and maybe even a solution for the problem in the coming weeks.

I consider myself as a very patient person, but I started this topic a month ago and it was not the first time I requested for help at this very same problem. I estimate the problem is now at least 4 months old. Ofcourse I do not blame anyone personally, I understand there's a flood of support requests everyday. But at least a message like: "Okay, I received or I have seen your downloaderror messages and I will take a look at them." would be fine.

Thanks and kind regards,
Bram Stikkel

Hi Bram,

Very very sorry for the slow reply.

The key part of all three errors you sent is: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Some searching reveals that this is not an issue with FTX Central, but a potential issue with your disk.

A guide that may help you resolve this issue is: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/request-could-not-be-performed-io-device-error (in particular, the "chksdk" command on that page).

Hi Ben,
Thanks for your reply.

Fact is, that the possible problem with the harddisk, has been suggested before in my search for a solution, but it seems not to be the cause.
Checking all posible involved harddisks, results in not any error.
One would also expect the download error problem to occur with other downloads too if the disk is not okay, but it is absolutely restricted too those two products.

I do know, the problem is caused by my pc, since a test installation at a second pc, gives no problems. 

My best guess is, there is some file that should be overwritten during the update (FSX) or installation process (P3dV4), that one because of an unknown error cannot be overwritten. I know this cán occur, in case of a damaged sector at the harddisk, but again, according to windows diskcheck sotware, that is not the case.
I was hoping, you could see in the errormessage, which file(s) could be the problem cause.

I know it is not recommended, but would there be an option to just copie and paste files from the good installation to the pc with the problem ?
In case that would be an option, could you tell me, which files I must copy ?

Thanks for your help again.
Bram

Hi Ben,

In spite of themy desperate call-out in the title of this topic, yesterday I decided, to purchase OpenLC South America, ofcourse because it looks marvellous, but also to check, if this brandnew addon would also give the same problems at downloading and installing or not.

The good news is, that for both FSX and P3Dv4, OpenLC South America was downloaded and installed without any problem, also on the pc where OpenLC North America and Openlc Europe give problems.

In my - maybe too simple ? - simple thinking, this proves my theory in my previous writing on thursday - about one or more files causing the problem - could be correct.
It would help me, if you could tell me, on which locations files are added and in which files content is changed, when a OpenLC product is installed.
I hope, I can solve the problem by removing those files and editing backwards the changed filecontents, normally added by the OpenLC EU and OpenLC NA installation process.

Thanks again for your help!

Bram Stikkel

Archived