Wow, really enjoyed this set!

Cheers Sammy, glad you liked them.

8 minutes ago, ruudmeij said:

Great shots Mark.

Cheers,

Ruud

Many thanks Ruud :)

5 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent, your preset looks perfect and I like the dark cloud shadows.  Mark, could you elucidate me on which specific PTA setting controls the shadow darkness?

Thank you Jack...

There a several factors regarding shadow depth.. first is in 'Terrain Lighting' and the Ambient Sunlight Ratio... the lower this is the darker the shadows will be. In this preset I have it at 0.35.

This is also in relation to Diffuse Sunlight Ratio which is the brightness of the lit areas... so, the higher this value the more contrast you get between the light and shade.

You then have a separate Cloud Shadow Depth which you can use to separate the cloud shadows from the terrain setting.

It also important to balance the 'Object Lighting' (which is the Autogen buildings and trees) with the terrain lighting, the autogen need to receive a similar amount of lighting, so they are neither too light or too dark when in shadow.... I need to tweak this slightly in the above preset, as you can see the trees look a bit too dark when under shadow.

1 minute ago, Mark Abdey said:

Excellent, your preset looks perfect and I like the dark cloud shadows.  Mark, could you elucidate me on which specific PTA setting controls the shadow darkness?

Thanks Mark!  This is what I was looking for.  It sounds easy but which one will do it or is it a combination of them all?  I simply HAVE to sit down with this program running and read each and every word and look at the images.  

It's a very powerful program.  Amazing what it can do, you can make your scenery look any way you want it.

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

It sounds easy but which one will do it or is it a combination of them all?

It is a combination of them all... Start with 'Terrain Lighting' first and get that to a point you're happy with and then look to the other areas. There are quite detailed descriptions in the right hand pain explaining the values and their ranges.

Archived