This time it's different.

P3Dv4 but this time I bought and installed ENVTEX.  I really like what it does to the skies, but some things I have to figure out how to change.

Also, for some reason, after installing this I lost all cloud shadows.  I tried all kinds of weather, no shadows despite it being ticked in the sim.  Very odd.  

Anyway, I like what it does to the sky like I said, and the runway textures are greater as well as the water.  But even at the smallest setting the sun still looms too big, maybe I'm used to the very small default P3D sun.  Don't know which I like best!

Here's the first shot still with Iain's HDR settings, I like it.  To me the sky is perfect.

jgZzG7f.jpg

Sunset in Boston, she sun seems a little large, it's that large even during the say.  But I like the skies.

M69t5vb.jpg

ni70nvp.jpg

Now over Catalina Island with AS weather on, I like the haze look.

dsjtKMT.jpg

qAFuMFJ.jpg

At KATL while we had a thunderstorm move through

iYrq4Xm.jpg

DJKA4nF.jpg

Km330Qm.jpg

Back in Boston with different HDR settings, Ruud's HDR but not his preset.

LdmycXi.jpg

This sky is perfect.

JmKFs7D.jpg

K0c5emX.jpg

No cloud shadows.  I checked a million times and those boxes are ticked.  Even rebooted.

hOOUA83.jpg

YVz3VxF.jpg

Was gonna go visit my 86 year-old uncle on the Cape but I was frustrated with no shadows.

F7QQ3GL.jpg

Z12av7K.jpg

Looks close to natural to me Jack..especially around SoCal where I live...haze etc... I'm totally happy with Ruuds PTA also...brings out the Blues... water and sky... better than I've ever seen. Ken Halls Catalina is going to be special with;):P

1 hour ago, lixfeldt said:

Looks close to natural to me Jack..especially around SoCal where I live...haze etc... I'm totally happy with Ruuds PTA also...brings out the Blues... water and sky... better than I've ever seen. Ken Halls Catalina is going to be special with;):P

Thanks, it looks perfect to me despite having no cloud shadows.  

54 minutes ago, magic1 said:

very nice Jack!

Thanks Magic!

17 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

Jack - without running a preset, you could use PTA to quickly delete the (old) shaders cache. This cache is P3D-specific, so isn't cleared by a reboot.

Adam.

Hi Adam, you won't believe it, no matter what I did, several different presets, deleting the shaders, replacing them with the very original ones, I still had no cloud shadows.  

So I had to use Acronis to go back a save.  This is why I used it to make a save right before I installed it.

Now I have cloud shadows back.  So until I can figure out why this cool little REX like program called ENVTEX makes me lose cloud shadows I'll have to live without it.  But I'd like an answer from their forum, I posted there.

I really like this program, there's a lot to choose from like in REX and it's very easy to use.  I really like what it does to the sky, to me the textures they use are the absolute best skies I have ever seen in FSX, 3.4, and v4.  

Like you said many times, we all have different monitors, and sometimes I wonder if we all as humans actually see colors differently. How would we know?

11 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Like you said many times, we all have different monitors, and sometimes I wonder if we all as humans actually see colors differently. How would we know?

We certainly do! A bit of a can of worms,really - and the only way I can see getting things right is by using a [really] expensive calibration kit - but I tend to trust my eyes (40yrs of graphic or web design).

Adam.

Jack. Reference to cloud shadows with Envtex. I tested for you as promised and post a pic which clearly shows shadows. The setting I used in Options/Lighting are Shadow quality=medium, Shadow draw=medium and Orbx 4 weather theme.

It would therefore appear not to be an Envtex problem, but possibly one of the settings I mention above that you may want to experiment with. You can of course set them to what you want but this I believe may the the minimum.

2017-7-3_9-19-33-492.jpg

There are cloud shadows in there, but they are very faint [you can see the change in light in shots 7 & 8 in particular]. If you ran the time of day preview you will see them moving. Its due to the cloud textures, which also affect the shadow depth... I've used some REX TD Soft Cloud sets and get the same thing, with only the very fainest of shadows... some sets give very uneven shadows, and some like ASCA give very solid defined shadows.

BTW Jack I'll reply to your PM later... two very busy day..

5 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Jack. Reference to cloud shadows with Envtex. I tested for you as promised and post a pic which clearly shows shadows. The setting I used in Options/Lighting are Shadow quality=medium, Shadow draw=medium and Orbx 4 weather theme.

It would therefore appear not to be an Envtex problem, but possibly one of the settings I mention above that you may want to experiment with. You can of course set them to what you want but this I believe may the the minimum.

2017-7-3_9-19-33-492.jpg

Very odd, I have the exact same settings ticked in shadows in the sim.  I even ticked them all and had it up to maximum.

8 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

We certainly do! A bit of a can of worms,really - and the only way I can see getting things right is by using a [really] expensive calibration kit - but I tend to trust my eyes (40yrs of graphic or web design).

Adam.

Imagine that.  We all see differently, I've always wondered about this.  I wonder why this is?

8 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

8 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Awesome set Jack.:)

cheers

Gumby

Thank you Gumby!

8 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Very good screen shots Jack very nice indeed regards stewart

Thanks Stewart!

7 hours ago, ruudmeij said:

Great set of shots Jack, keep on trying the way flightsim settings works some times or not are plenty.

Cheers,

Ruud

Thanks Ruud, yeah, it's like a dog chasing his tail sometimes isn't it? :)

4 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

There are cloud shadows in there, but they are very faint [you can see the change in light in shots 7 & 8 in particular]. If you ran the time of day preview you will see them moving. Its due to the cloud textures, which also affect the shadow depth... I've used some REX TD Soft Cloud sets and get the same thing, with only the very fainest of shadows... some sets give very uneven shadows, and some like ASCA give very solid defined shadows.

BTW Jack I'll reply to your PM later... two very busy day..

Thanks Mark.  I agree, ever so faint, I wanted them to be like default, more pronounced.  I have ASCA but haven't installed it yet.  

Archived