P3Dv4 HF1 - ORBX Tiles Slow and Mismatched

Scotflieger

After installing P3Dv4 HF1, I find that the tiles for EU Scotland are slow to load and mismatched/disjointed (towns mapped to mountains). I did not see the same problem with the initial P3Dv4 release or with P3Dv3.4. Frame rates at 60-80fps. The scenery.cfg file is unchanged.

MismatchedTiles.JPG

Mismatched.JPG

Edinburgh.JPG

MismatchedTiles3.JPG

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

It does look a bit like the terrain.cfg file is not as it should be.

Does your scenery look like that everywhere in the world?

and did you yet ask at the P3D forum?

No I have not raised this with P3D yet. I only ever fly in the UK. Is there any where else?

A guess, but you may have completely uninstalled the p3d client when you did the upgrade.  (Did you have to reenter your license key when reinstalling?). And when you reinstalled it, p3d wrote the default terrain cfg back to the programdata folder,. Which doesn't recognize orbx's unique terrain calls.  If you backed up your original terrain cfg you can just copy that over, or you can trick ftx central into writing you a new one.  I'm not orbx support, so I know how I would fix it, but I'm not sure, they might tell you a different/better method.  Perhaps the "force migration" nick was talking about.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

114 frames a second in the first shot Jack.

The terrain.cfg fix can be found here.

and it might help to run "Force Migration" on the FTX Central settings page.

Thank you Nick. That procedure has fixed the problem. I took a copy of terrain.cfg from my P3dv3.4 installation and then ran FTX Central 3.

Thanks.

In the light of ShawnG's post, you probably only needed to run FTX Central once.

Either way, it's fixed and we have both learned something new, I had never updated

the client, or any other part of P3D before.

Luckily, it went without an apparent hitch, though I see the waves are still breaking backwards.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks.

In the light of ShawnG's post, you probably only needed to run FTX Central once.

Either way, it's fixed and we have both learned something new, I had never updated

Luckily, it went without an apparent hitch, though I see the waves are still breaking backwards.

I took Shawn's hint and used the affected terrain.cfg and ran FTX Central alone. That too fixed the problem. The P3Dv4 HF1 update appears to have caused the corruption. Fixing the P3Dv4 original terrain.cfg should prevent any issues outside my ORBX coverage. Many thanks and I hope this helps others.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks.

It looks like when you are asked if you want to remove P3D, you should say No,

if only updating the client bit.

I did this and I expect ShawnG did too and it just carried on working.

As the HF1 appeared to be a full update (not a patch) and I have nothing other than ORBX installed I did decide to do the full install. It seemed a waste not to use the full 12 hours download. ;) 

23 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks.

Hi Nick,

If the waves are still breaking backwards I'm wondering if there is a problem with your hotfix install.  I've just checked two instances  and the effect textures are correct on my machine post hotfix. In the RTM  they were displaying 'upside down' as you would look at the texture. (In v3 and prior they were also flipped left right but that has been fixed too.)

Funny that your terrain.cfg was apparently overwritten.  With this hotfix, as in the past, all I have had to do is uninstall the client and then install the new one. All my configuration files are left as is.  If on the other hand I want to start with fresh configuration files I make backups for reference and then delete them per the instructions.

1 hour ago, Scotflieger said:

As the HF1 appeared to be a full update (not a patch) and I have nothing other than ORBX installed I did decide to do the full install. It seemed a waste not to use the full 12 hours download. ;) 

I'm sure Elaine covers this in her extensive tutorials on installing /updating but perhaps I can mention this here: You can find the individual components of a full install by clicking the little plus sign below the full install link. You will also find the checksums for each part if you wish to confirm that there are no errors in the download.  If you just want to update the client, all you need to do is download this relatively small component.

Cheers,

I had the same issue after the new P3d v4 update.

I downloaded the default scenery.cfg from Holger's post in an old thread about texture morphing.

I then pasted it over the P3d scenery.cfg found in Program data/Prepar3d

Then I started up the Orbx app recompiled and then started up P3D and it was all fixed.

• 1 year later...

Archived