Minimum Required for P3D V4 for Australia?

Aussie123

Hello All,

Another newbie to Orbx.

I am presently transiting from: WinXP, FS9, VOZ, REX and Prosim737, to P3D V4 on a new dedicated computer with Win 10.

I have just installed P3D V4 and want to replicate (improve on) the Australian experience (rarely fly outside Australia in the 737 hardware cockpit)

VOZ was outstanding in FS9 (for its day)

Can you please recommend what minimum scenery I require?

I have downloaded the Libraries and they installed OK.

Obviously, I need FTX AU Australia. (to be first purchase)

Do I require FTX Global? Has P3D V4 improved the base scenery compared to FSX?

A question about Holgermesh Australia? Do I need it? Where can I get it and how do I install it in P3D V4?

I watched the May sale go past daily as I did not have the new PC, or P3D V4, so I want to purchase the minimum until the next Sale when I would look at all the AU airports. (Any idea when it will be?)

Thanks again,

Aussie

Hi and welcome.

- No need for FTX Global if you only fly within FTX AU Australia.

- Yes, you should install Holger Mesh, too.

- Prepar3d4 has different base scenery from FSX, but I was surprized how poor it still looks after installing Prepar3d4. Also, the landclass is different from the FSX landclass. If you are going to fly outside Australia I would recommend getting FTX Global Base (and a Mesh Product like one from Pilot's). When flying inside the US/Europe you may opt for the OpenLC products as well.

I doubt we will get release dates on the 100 airports, but I am sure the team is working hard on them. The inital plan from my head was within "weeks".

Hope this helps.

Kind regards, Michael

16 minutes ago, pmb said:

- Yes, you should install Holger Mesh, too.

Hi Michael, that was my question earlier.

I have FreemeshX installed now thanks to Daniel's personal help.

But Holgermesh isn't available yet.

Questions is I have never used FreemeshX in Australia, all over the rest of the world yes, but when it's released which is better?

5 minutes ago, hkterry said:

Hi Jack

Holgemesh is now available for P3D V4, you can check this from OrbxDirect Freeware site.

Cheers

Gee, thanks Terry!  Never even though to look.  All I did was install the regions.  Anything else I didn't know was available for V4?

So what should I do with two meshes?

Should I untick one in the Scenery Library and if so, which one?

Hello Jack,

I just visited the Orbx site and it now has a P3D V4 button.

I selected to add to the account and transfer to Central for downloading and installing. It is doing it now.

A very happy chappie. :)

2 minutes ago, Aussie123 said:

Hello Jack,

I just visited the Orbx site and it now has a P3D V4 button.

I selected to add to the account and transfer to Central for downloading and installing. It is doing it now.

A very happy chappie. :)

Yup, me too!  Got it.  Nice find Terry, was it there all along or will there be an announcement or did I miss it somehow?

Anyway, will there be a conflict between FreemeshX and Holgermesh?

Thanks guys!

Oh, Aussie123, welcome to the forum!

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Michael, that was my question earlier.

I have FreemeshX installed now thanks to Daniel's personal help.

But Holgermesh isn't available yet.

Questions is I have never used FreemeshX in Australia, all over the rest of the world yes, but when it's released which is better?

Sorry to Hi Jack this thread (see what I did there?) but can you please tell me how to install FreeMeshX in v4? I have it installed and working currently in v3.

Cheers

Hi guys a MESH don't affect anything to install one thing, the best résolution are above the other mesh . No more

but for me i use only FTX and Holger free Mesh for sceneries Orbx .

Patrick

2 hours ago, RancidViper said:

Sorry to Hi Jack this thread (see what I did there?) but can you please tell me how to install FreeMeshX in v4? I have it installed and working currently in v3.

Cheers

Hi RancidViper, I like what you did there, very clever!  I wouldn't even know where to start on installing it.  Fortunately Daniel Moser, the guy who wrote it loved into my PC with TeamViewer and id it all for me.  He's a very nice and generous guy, and he had everything installed in about 15 minutes.  I would have had no idea how to do what he did.  But he did say that he's currently working on an entirely new installer which will be released very soon, still all for free.

2 hours ago, Neptune6 said:

Hi guys a MESH don't affect anything to install one thing, the best résolution are above the other mesh . No more

but for me i use only FTX and Holger free Mesh for sceneries Orbx .

Patrick

Thanks Patrick!

1 hour ago, wedge1047 said:

`Anyway, will there be a conflict between FreemeshX and Holgermesh`

Hi Jack, As I understand it the sim will just select the best mesh for the area you are using, no clash

cheers Reg.

Thanks Reg.  I'm glad you told me this, I read this somewhere a while ago but my memory fails me where.

In FSX, having more than one mesh for a particular scenery will not cause any conflicts.  In FSX, mesh is the one item that will default to the higher LOD (Level Of Detail). i.e. more complex mesh will always override the lesser and it does not matter where it is inserted in the scenery library.  I would imagine that all the other simming platforms would be the same???Of course to take advantage of higher LOD's you must ensure that you set your mesh levels accordingly (in FSX anyway) but that is another story.

4 minutes ago, Bassman said:

In FSX, having more than one mesh for a particular scenery will not cause any conflicts.  In FSX, mesh is the one item that will default to the higher LOD (Level Of Detail). i.e. more complex mesh will always override the lesser and it does not matter where it is inserted in the scenery library.  I would imagine that all the other simming platforms would be the same???Of course to take advantage of higher LOD's you must ensure that you set your mesh levels accordingly (in FSX anyway) but that is another story.

Thanks Bassman!

On an aside, while you are waiting for the excellent ORBX airports for AU to be updated, you should check out FlyTampa's Sydney (YSSY). It's a must have airport when flying heavies in Australia.  Likewise, check out PMDG and A2A for state of the art study aircraft.  You'll get hooked like the rest of us and eventually fly all over the world.  Cheers!

You are taking a nice big step up

Now try out VR which is great both for big and small planes

Nothing more gives you a sense of presence than being able to just look around at all those little knobs & switches

If you go over to the VR subforum you will find most cannot fly with a flat screen after using VR

John Venema, CEO of OrbX is a big fan

I see you are in the capital, less congested traffic both in the air & on the ground than Melbourne or Sydney

I humbly beg to differ aero :)

I believe nothing gives a greater sense of immersion than a full size hardware 737 cockpit (2.4m x 2.7m x 3.0m); the fabulous Prosim737 suite; and 120 degrees of monitors, a Jetstream throttle quadrant and a SimWorld 737 overhead. :)

Previously, I could only afford to run a network of five WinXP computers with Wideview, FS9, Prosim REX and VOZ.

I'm in the process of updating all of them slowly now that P3D V4 is available. I can see Orbx will be essential.

Over the years I have found there are many ways to suspend reality in the sim world. One to suit every budget and environment. Orbx is going to help me.

CHuckers I will check out FlyTampa's Sydney (YSSY). Thanks.

(Yes aero, being located between Sydney and Melbourne gives me many familiar air routes.)

Thanks for the welcome to the Forum.

Aussie.

Archived