NA Northern Rockies bug report

Don Whyte

At Hinton/Jasper-Hinton (CEC4) airport in Alberta there is an anomaly in the airport elevation with the runway appearing to be buried under the ground with a portion of the asphalt showing. This is with the NA Northern Rockies region active.

Screenshot is taken at LAT N53-19.04' LON W117-45.50', altitude 4328 Mag 012.

I also have

FTX Global Base,

FTX Global Vector

FTX Global NA Airports

FTX Global Iceland demo

NA PNW demo

Holgermesh PNG

NA General Aviation AI Aircraft

Regards,

Don Whyte

CEC4-4.png

Hello Don,

These are the only FTX files for this airfield.

Untitled.jpg

Please make a search of your installation for any others that might be causing the elevation anomaly.

In this case, whether Vector AEC is enabled or disabled makes no difference.

The airfield looks like this

2017_3_2_8_18_58_163.jpg

Thanks Nick, yes something else is interfering with the correct display of this airport. If I uncheck NA Global Airports in the scenery library and disable CEC4 in the Global Vector Control Panel it still shows the ground around the runway and apron at a lower elevation. I will check further into it but might not be able to do that for some time as we are moving house.

I can find all the files you mention except only one instance of ADE_FTX_NRM_CEC4_elevation_adjustment.BGL which is in the Program Files(X86)\LM\P3D\Scenery folder. There don't appear to be any other CEC4 files.

I wonder if a reinstall of Northern Rockies is in order.

I did a reinstall of Northern Rockies but it made no difference. I am wondering if my video card (GTX670 2 gig) is inadequate for the task of displaying these added scenery files. Everything works fine inside and outside the Pacific NorthWest and Northern Rockies areas until I bring in Global Vector.then the airports start showing these elevation problems.

Hi there,

this has to be a mismatch between two competing reference altitude files. In these cases the best approach is to run a Windows Explorer search of your entire flightsim folder tree for all .bgl files that include the airport's ICAO as part of their names -- e.g., search term *CEC4*.bgl -- and post a list or screenshot of the results with full file names and folder paths

FYI, the elevation adjustment files in the /OFF folder are inactive duplicates meaning they have no influence on the airport's display in the sim.

Cheers, Holger

Ok I will do that however I am seeing the problem at other airports too such as Edmonton (CYEG) in the Northern Rockies area and Fairchild Int'l (KCLM) in the Pacific Northwest. So there must be something common to all of them that is causing this. I haven't done an exhaustive search of problem airports.

Hi Don,

if Vector's AEC tool had been run successfully then the entries in the Vector_AEC and _APT folders would have been renamed from .bgl to .inactive, as in "AEC_CEC4.inactive".

Please run the AEC tool again and make sure to press Apply once the automatic search for duplicates has completed. Doing so should also fix the other affected airports.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks, I will do that although I've run it 3 times and pressed Apply. I'll carefully read the instructions again and make sure I'm doing it right. I don't want to waste people's valuable time on these forums!

CEC4 as well as CYEG (and many others)  CEC4 show in the Control Panel Inactive list and appear as .INACTIVE in Vector AEC and Vector APT folders.

Inactive.png

This is the effect after running the configurator again. Runway and apron are elevated.

CEC4_3.png

Hi Don,

those file extensions and dates are correct now so something else must be wrong. I assume your Vector entries are in their correct position, just above the numbered default entries, and that you don't have any other add-on active above the FTX NRM block that might contain exclude files for the area?

What's interesting is that the situation has reversed from your first screenshot, meaning the airport no longer sits in a trench but rather on a plateau. Are you using any third-party terrain mesh add-on? NRM contains its own but another mesh file set, if compiled at higher resolution, might overwrite the NRM version.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Don,

note that the bottom entry, "Default Terrain", is deactivated. That is actually the pointer to the \Scenery\World\scenery folder, which contains the custom elevation adjustment files as well as a number of important default files. Normally, that entry is greyed out, like "Default Scenery" above it, meaning it's not possible to uncheck it from the scenery library menu. I suspect that re-activating it will solve the display issues.

Cheers, Holger

in the P3D Scenery Llibrary clicking on the Default Terrain checkbox has no effect. It stays unchecked.

I'm sure this is all my fault. I was trying at one point to revert from Global Base to the default P3D scenery for comparison and recall foolishly moving the Orbx folders around but violated my own rules and didn't keep notes on the steps I took. I take full responsibility. Very sorry to waste so much of the Orbx teams' time on this.

Wow! Replacing the scenery.cfg fixed the problem. Everything is displaying correctly and the Scenery Library Default Terrain is now checked. Thank you so much Nick, Holger and Doug for your help. Guess I learned my lesson.

Could you please explain why so many airports are disabled in the Vector Configurator tool? Are these ones which are included in the regional add-ons such as Northern Rockies? And should the Configurator tool be run after checking/unchecking any Scenery Library entries?

Vector should not influence any airports in Regional addons at all because the Region is self contained data wise regarding vector data, mesh, landclass etc. What it will influence is non Regional addons and enhanced airport addons that go into existing Regions as a standalone item like KBVS in FTX PNW for example, and of course 3rd party/Freeware addon airports.

I would suggest caution in using the AEC continuously for the very reason that if you have Manually moved an airport from it's original Enabled or Disabled tag the AEC will move them back to where they were allocated originally.

I suggest that you run AEC once and then when you add a new airport try the airport and see if it has any elevation issues. If it does then manually change to enabled or disabled whichever is relevant and Apply. If it doesn't have elevation issues then leave AEC alone.

Other users may well disagree and say they run AEC after every new addon installation but just remember that the manual changes you may have made will be reverted. The initial run of AEC will leave many airports incorrectly tagged as disabled or enabled so it is upto you to correct them as you find them, and I am suggesting that this is done manually.

Hi again,

the way the AEC tool works is that it scans all active scenery folders, including Orbx folders, against the set of airports of which Vector itself has changed the default elevation (i.e., all airports in the initial "AEC is enabled for" list on the lower left of the AEC menu). For each duplicate airport it finds, AEC compares the elevation changes and, if there's a difference, puts the Vector version into the "AEC is disabled for" list. In other words, Vector's AEC tool only ever deactivates its own files to avoid conflict with other add-ons, including FTX Regions and airports, when they contain different airport reference altitudes.

If a given airport doesn't appear on the "AEC is enabled for" list then Vector didn't change its default altitude. If you have a display problem at that airport then, most likely, it's a conflict between two other add-ons unrelated to Vector.

Each FTX Region contains several dozen airports for which we changed the default elevation to better match the custom terrain mesh. That's why quite a few airports end up on that AEC list when you first run the auto-scan and have other FTX products installed.

The AEC tool page does state that you should run the auto-configuration each time you add new scenery/airports or make changes in your scenery library menu. However, jjaycee1 is correct that, if you also make manual corrections, they would get overwritten by the next auto-scan. Thus, if you prefer to make individual manual changes after the initial auto-configuration then you should stick to that approach. Note that you can save different profiles if you decide on switching between different scenery library menu configurations; or use this feature as a safety backup with each manual change.

Cheers, Holger 

Archived