ESNK sitting in middle of river

westbros

I tried out ESNK (Kramfors-Sollefteå) in northern Sweden for the first time with the full ORBX package (Global Base, Global Vector, Open LC Europe and Pilot's FS Global 2010 FTX edition) and discovered that the airport sits in the middle of the Ångermanälv river. In reality it sits on an island and the runway is a matter of metres from the river bank. However in FSX this island is totally missing and the western bank of the river is drawn as the narrow water channel that in reality separates the island from the mainland. The runway, taxiways and airport buildings are completely surrounded by water.

Here first of all is an image taken on short finals to runway 35.

usza6rD.jpg

Now have a look at an image of the airport taken from Google Maps. (Höga Kusten Airport is the newer name for this airport.) You will see a narrow water channel meandering to the west of the airfield separating it from the mainland.

KUk1BD3.jpg

I haven't figured out how to blow up an aerial image from the pop up window in FSX, but if you do that and compare it to the track of the narrow water channel, you will see that the western river bank in FSX and that water channel match exactly. The island that the airport sits on is missing.

Is there anything that can be done to rectify this? Many thanks.

Gary

This is a Vector problem. Vector supposedly gives us very accurate coastal data which differs from the default coastal data.

Vector AEC allows us to move elevation of airports but there is no tool to move the airports left or right.

If you disable Vector in the scenery library temporarily you will see that the airport is on the island.

You will then have to decide if you want Vector enabled or disabled.

I suggest that you also contact Stefan at PILOTS and tell him that the island is missing. He may be able to include it in the long awaited vector update. His contact a t these forums used to be Richard Lincoln but I think he has moved on from that position as a PILOTS rep as he now works for Orbx

Thanks for your reply. I can see that Global Vector is a cooperation between ORBX and PILOT'S, but I'm unclear on what or who Vector AEC is/are. And moving the airport left or right is not the issue, as it's in the correct place.

Incidentally I have found a (dated) freeware scenery that works and puts the island back, so I will run with that for now, even though it introduces unfrozen river water textures where currently all around the river is frozen over.

How would I find this Stefan at PILOT'S? I cannot find a suitable forum on this site for PILOT'S and on their website www.fsglobal2010.com the support options are not exactly overwhelming.

Many thanks again.

9 hours ago, westbros said:

Bump.

I think I get now what Vector AEC is, but as I said, moving the airport up, down, left or right is not the issue. Can someone please let me know how I can contact this Stefan at PILOT'S?

Thanks.

Try the PILOTS website. :)

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Menu/MenuPage.aspx?id=c280557a-1d05-4dc9-a22a-47095f7a7f09

Thanks guys. Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a few days. Let's see what happens in any Vector update. As I said I have found a freeware scenery which works with Vector enabled, even though it introduces small inconsistencies in the surrounding winter water textures.

I've seen the Sweden Design v2 scenery. How does it dovetail with the full Orbx package that I have (see original post)? Are there any issues? Is it worth paying out for if I will be flying IFR most of the time?

Cheers.

Archived