Laptop Recommendations

Richard Lincoln

Hello Simmers,

Experience is everything and when it comes to Laptops I fall very short. Does anyone have a recommendation based on experience of a good purchase $1500-$2000 or near to it in AUD? Or perhaps you know of a good brand. I am after 30FPS on Mid settings, Small SSD for OS and id say a 1T for P3d.

Advice is appreciated:)

If it is not a rude question, how much was JV's latest laptop? and was it a special order with selected components or an off the shelf unit? I know this could be asked in John's post however I think it s relevant to this new post also.

Hi Richard, that is exactly why I prefaced my question "If it is not a rude question".  As a fellow Australian you would know that colloquially when we ask a question that might be considered nosey we preface our questions accordingly. There are numerous examples of where members have advised costs in USD, Euros, GNP etc. I apologise if for some reason you took offence. I thought that it might assist your cause.

Edited by Bassman

All great at my end too mate. I understand and appreciate your point. When a person advises his new laptop on public media, and it sounds so good, one can't but help asking the question, in fact it almost begs the question, as we are all after the best system that we can afford. You may have noticed that I have cheekily asked the question directly to JV in his post. Cheers mate:)

Hi Richard,

I only flightsim on laptops as I live in a remote area and rely completely on solar. I would recommend you check out a Perth company called Metabox. They have been doing really well in reviews and their laptops punch well above their weight. The last review I have was for the Metabox Prime PE650RE (GTX970M). It had the second highest fps on 3 different games, tested with 7 equivalent laptops. I also notice that the higher end Gigabyte laptops consistently do well in comparison with other laptops. The last review I have was for the Gigabyte P57Wv5 (also a GTX970M). Personally, I have a Venom 15S which I have been very happy with. It is by no means a high end machine, but I have no trouble at all running FSX with the ORBX recommended settings, and some REX weather.

Hope this helps...

Maybe I should have mentioned my own laptop which I purchased for simming whilst in our caravan. Aspire V17 Nitro i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.6GHz. Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M 4GB dedicated VRAM. 16GB DDR3 L Memory. Running at 3.6GHz without incident. However one downside is a Throttling problem common to this model which is easily solved by using a freeware throttle stop program. Cost for a laptop of these specs (and probably better now as I have owned this one for about 9 months) is definitely within your price range.

Pity you are restricted to a portable computer

I obtained one when moving from Aus to Germany and it was convenient for a time

When I purchased my first desktop I realised how much cheaper it is than a laptop

Some laptop accessories can be external via USB 3 reducing cost of having everything built in

Even some graphics cards are external, designed specifically for portable devices

Sorry but Im just not a fan of mobile computing. Often they have hard soldered connections for interfaces and cpus and so on. Difficult to upgrade. Just about all of them have crappy GPUs in them as well, an exception being JVs one which has a real GPU in it. I use one when Im forced too but desktops are my preference.

Gday Nullack,

I feel much more at home with a Desktop Pc, I must be the only person here that has not seen JV's laptop:) Id rather invest that kind of money updating the Desktop after buying a new LG Monitor. I am hoping for the 1080ti if it does get released. I did get the Msi Laptop but it was under $3G and very handy to have, it almost keeps up with my current Desktop:lol:

On 18/10/2016 at 5:56 AM, Bassman said:

If it is not a rude question, how much was JV's latest laptop? and was it a special order with selected components or an off the shelf unit? I know this could be asked in John's post however I think it s relevant to this new post also.

http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/contents/en-us/p3170_msi-gt73vr-titan-pro_GT73VR_6RF-025AU.html

Five grand Aussie. No special order, I wanted the model with the GTX1080 inside and it came with 1.5TB of SSD/HD and could drive a 4K monitor at 60Hz so that's all I needed.

Gaming laptops always cost twice as much as equivalent desktops, but they are so much quieter on a desk and best of all, they are portable and self contained, great for trade shows and demos etc. This unit is so quiet I only hear the fan kick in if I am flying very dense scenery with lots of 3D models and autogen. For day to day work it's completely silent.

If you want a smaller unit with only a slightly slower CPU, the new Razer Blad Pro with GTX1080 is about as good as it gets: http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/gaming-systems/razer-blade?utm_campaign=WW-The New Razer Blade 5-B5 Brand Keywords&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=UK-Systems - Laptop&gclid=CLnw4Krs_M8CFXAA0wodYpMHLw

• 5 years later...