Vector has become framerate hungry?

bvdboomen

I searched for FPS and I searched for performance in this forum and couldn't find a satisfactory result.

Why this new topic? Well, I took off from Sheppard airbase by Jim Dhaenens and noticed a remarkable loss in framerates when I was at altitude.

So I disabled Sheppard but the low FPS remained. No other third party scenery is active here. Then I disabled the five Vector entries in the scenery library and voila! the frames are back to 30fps. The comparison screens show a lot of additional ponds, lakes and rivers but do these cause a more then 50% drop in FPS, giving the fact that there's hardly any autogen in this area? The same happened with FTX ENG. I fly from ACG Wattisham to The Netherlands on a regular base and always had good, high 20's, FPS. Since a few months I only get an average of 14fps during that flight.

It seems that the waterbodies are involved since I had not trouble when I flew from Porta Westfalica to Asiago last week. That gave me a steady 30fps.

I have two additional third party software involving the water: FS waterconfigurator and REX Texture Direct 4.0. Can one of these be the problem? Not by itself but since Vector is placing more water bodies and then becoming a problem?

I cannot remember that this was an issue with Vector 1.30, when I initially bought it. So my thought is, that my overall performance lost of FSX is not due to the unified lclookup but that Vector (in combination with the two water utils?) is the culprit here. Also the textures are more prone to blurring when Vector is active in this Sheppard area. When I disable Vector, the texture can keep up easily in a low level flight at 600+ knots.

Two comparison screenshots:

1. Vector active:

2016-9-25_10-9-1-21.jpg

2. Vector disabled:

2016-9-25_10-6-15-53.jpg

3. And a nice 30fps low level at 600+ knots without texture blurring but with Vector disabled.

2016-9-25_10-17-58-614.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

1 hour ago, Ed Correia said:

Vector = More Detail

More Detail = Performance hit

So true.

But why not a performance hit right after installation? I actually was surprised not to see any loss of FPS when I initially installed Vector 1.30 in december last year.

The performance hit comes almost a year later! I've had smooth flights with Vector installed and all options checked on, and all of a sudden one day FSX decides to drop the frames. I think something else is causing the hit.

So it's not that simple and to be honest, the scenery at Sheppard is not that detailed. I get better FPS in more dense areas.

I checked Vector lights and Small rivers and streams off and will fly again.

Cheers,

Ben.

Answered? Dear Ed, I think you're too fast with that. ;)

Checking off Vector lights and small rivers and streams didn't help.

I deleted my shaders and scenery index and no improvement so I decided to compare the sparse Sheppard area with the dense San Diego scenery and the latter even has better FPS!

so once again: 

2 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Vector = More Detail

More Detail = Performance hit

More than 50% percent! Come on!

4. San Diego area:

2016-9-25_14-50-31-400.jpg

5. Textures blur again when Vector is enabled

2016-9-25_14-43-2-737.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

Hello Ben,

The basic principal of what Ed is saying is 100% correct, Vector performs rather well on my system with everything active in the Vector cfg tool, and sliders maxed out except shadows and water, traffic in sim. Could you be so kind to inform us what system you are using? These details may help as a starting point to nut this out for you. I look forward to your reply.

8 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

The basic principal of what Ed is saying is 100% correct

Yes, and I fully agree with that if the performance hit was immediately after installation. But it came 8 months later. So something in combination with Vector is causing it.

Shaders? Terrain.cfg? unified lookup? REX? Additional effects which came with an update?

Like the last time I had a performance hit at Sark. It turn out te be the wave animations (See here). I was hoping that this was an issue in the same category.

My system:

It's a Dell XPS 8500

FSX Gold running on a dedicated SSD.

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel i7 3770 @ 3.4Ghz

16GB RAM

AMD Radeon 7700 Series 2GB RAM

Installed in the screenshot area:

Sheppard airbase by Jim Dhaenens

ORBX FTX Global, Vector and OpenLC

FreeMeshX

REX Texture Direct 4.0

Alternated water shades with FS Water Configurator

FSX settings:

All maxed out (as it always has)

Except water: high 2 and Mesh 5m.

Traffic: very low: airliners and GA both 10, other traffic 5.

Cloud distance: somewhere halfway the slider

LOD range: 4.5

Let me remind you that screenshot 3 is a 600+ knots low pass with vector disabled. The textures remained sharp all the time and FPS was sky high.

The difference between Vector enabled and disabled is more than 50% performance hit. Way too much I think.

Ed and Richard, I appreciate your looks into it.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

In all honesty, unless you are willing to turn your sliders down a notch or two you are going to have FPS performance issues given the system you are currently running. Flightsim goodies can only be applied and matched with hardware. I will say however your RAM is spot on. Also I am unaware if you alter your cfg file, if you do I would suggest backing that up, deleting it and re boot a new one.

It's pretty well a given now that you need an i7 4790K or better at 4.5GHz or better, with a GTX970 or better, and FSX or P3D on a good fast SSD, to run high settings on FSX, ORBX FTX, Vector and other programs that all are pushing the limits of this 32 bit platform.

In my Vector research i did find that a problem similar to yours was cured by reducing the LOD to small in the Display Settings.  Doing that seems to reduce a lot of the Vector data that is called on.

I know everyone likes to run LODs of 4.5, 6.5 even 8.5 but they all need high spec computers when running Vector and FTX.

Richard and John,

Thank you for your input.

But let me still remind you that until a few months ago, there wasn't a performance issue with the same settings.

23 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

I cannot remember that this was an issue with Vector 1.30

21 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

The performance hit comes almost a year later! I've had smooth flights with Vector installed and all options checked on

3 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Yes, and I fully agree with that if the performance hit was immediately after installation. But it came 8 months later.

I don't understand why this is overlooked every time a write this.

The only things that changed since then are the unified lookup, and Vector updates. If these two are to be confirmed as the performance killers then I accept that and will buy a stronger PC as already was in the planning.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Wolter,

See post above.

I did some flying in the Alabeo Piper Sport in the Sheppard area. I found out that staying below a certain altitude, I get good framerates.

Flying at 3000ft was no problem at all. So I took the F16 again and just the exact same thing occurred; good FPS. When I climb to FL150 the frames drop 50% or more.

John, LOD 4.5 is standard FSX I believe.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

I understand what you are saying. Sim was running well before with Vector enabled and now it's not. Did you ask yourself what has been installed since ? It could also be non sim softwares (drivers, antivirus scanning files while flying etc...)  Try to isolate the culprit by disabling some Vector goodies and test it again or some softwares running in the background.  Some softwares are changing some settings without warning. I know ASN is changing the Affinity mask and I know if I start my sim via Air Hauler 2, my sim will use the same affinity mask than Air Hauler 2 is using via Process Lasso. It's just two examples of weird things... Try to find yours...  Perhaps a failed migration too !

It's not easy for the Dev. to find your problem when all is running well on their side. Each PC config is unique and each PC has differents installed softwares and drivers.  Be patient, and test it one small part after the other.

Mike

13 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

John, LOD 4.5 is standard FSX I believe.

Cheers,

Ben.

LOD 4.5 is the Large radius setting in the control panel.  Setting your LOD in the control panel to Medium or Low should have beneficial effects when using Vector in resource hungry areas where many Vector objects are called. 

I hate to sound like the 'Rebel' here, but after recently upgrading to P3D v3.4, I started over with a skeleton setup of base ORBX products.  Installing just FTX Global, OpenLC EU and Australia, along with ASN as the base to see how performance fairs on my rig after using everything I had before with P3D v3.2.  Beforehand, i was incurring similar issues to the OP, as well as occasional OOMs.  Without Vector installed at all, flying around Australia is much more stable and smoother and I keep my FPS locked at 31...on my own system.  I had come under the assumption that since the later updates to Vector, as well as the unification, the performance was reduced.  I have unified Global, OpenLC EU and Australia, without issue.  Flying out of YMML is much smoother, flying over Sydney is smoother, turns and general flight is a little smoother, but I still get stutters, although very minor.

For me, I can do without Vector.  It's not harming my flight experience any without is being installed, and the trade off is better performance. Ed made a good point about the more detail being injected, the more performance is needed from your hardware.  Scaling back background processes is always a good idea and limiting what you have running at the time of your flight will help too.

Archived