More elevation issues

Jon Clarke

Unsure where to post this issue since it involves Vector, Ultimate Mesh, OLC NA,default mesh and disabled Vector.

I have just spent nearly 3 hrs trying to get the KCOS airport and surrounding scenery to look normal. My usual  "enabled" setting is for OLC NA 1&2, Vector and Ultimate mesh NA.

I have problems either at KCOS aiport itself being either in a trough, or on a high plateau. Disabling KCOS or enabling KCOS in AEC has different results.

In order to get a semblance of normality I have tried various mesh settings from 1-10 metres. The picture I attach is a result of disabling Vector and disabling Ult Mesh. All the airport is now flat but if you see the surround pic attached there is a huge trough. All variations of enabllng/disabling Vector, Mesh etc has the same result. 

Any ideas or is it another "live with it" scenario? I reiterate that I have tried all known option to man.

KCOS.jpg

Hi, Jon.  I think we're seeing a similar problem to that which we were discussing awhile ago.  With Ultimate Mesh enabled, I'm seeing the airport on a plateau of sorts, tilted up toward the viewer at the LON and LAT of the aircraft in your screenshot.  The cliffs I see are clearly caused by the airport not being flat and the Ultimate Mesh being too fine a resolution, so causing the cliffs effect.  With the mesh disabled (and KCOS AEC disabled) all cliffs are gone and the airport is flat.  The ugly brown-green texture in your foreground is still present however, except I see three strips of lighter color criss-crossing the thing.  No idea why it's there in the first place.  It's clearly out of place.  So, again, as we surmised earlier, we are seeing, same as we saw at Boulder Muni, the effects of using a finer mesh than FTX 2010 Mesh assumed by OpenLC NA.  At least that's what the problem appears to be.  No amount of fiddling with AEC solves these kinds of problems, imo.  One either lives with it, or purchases the 2010 Mesh, something I'm not inclined to do atm.  I'm inclined to ignore this kind of issue involving this mesh or that mesh, and just go flying.

Cheers!

Jon,

The cliffs you show in your screen shot are another FSX only airfield, 5CO5 Rocky Mountain

which as far as I can see doesn't exist anywhere in the real world.

For me, it is entirely unaffected by Vector, even though it does appear to have an AEC file.

Disabling AEC for KCOS does indeed remove the slight bank around it.

I expect that Stewart is right and the cause is your mesh product.

He is also right that it is better to overlook these things and just fly.

Jack,

If you disable AEC for the airport, you will not see the slopes all around its perimeter.

Thanks guys.

Nick again thanks for your research to discover the reason for the trough below my plane in my pic, which was what I was on about, The pic was taken with my Ult Mesh disabled hence my query that with default mesh I should not be seeing it. I have disabled 5CO5 in the AEC and it is now flat. With Ultimate mesh NA disabled the whole scenery if all flat and good.

Fortunately I think the default mesh for most of the USA is from 38m-19m depending on the particular area so no great loss.

Colorado is particularly affected by the higher resolution detail of Ultimate so I will pick and choose regarding the enabling or disabling Ultimate.

Maybe orbx could do a full fat of Colorado as it is a very scenic state with lots of mountains etc and great for flying VFR :rolleyes:

You can now call this topic "resolved" if you wish.

@Jack Sawyer

For FreeMeshX, it's better just to disable AEC for U.S. airports since the U.S. terrain isn't modified in FMX. The airport elevation corrections in FTX Vectors will actually cause artifacts like those in the USA because it has no way of knowing what mesh you're using. However, disabling the U.S. AEC corrections isn't straightforward because the Vector config tool doesn't support disabling airports by country. I disable USA AEC via a Python script, but that's outside most user's expertise levels.

Archived