Pre Open LC NA Install Question

GordonGekko

I've just completed downloading Open LC NA and am currently running Global and Open LC EU with no issues and I am using libraries 160321 and FTX Central v2. I do own PNW and AU regions but do not plan to install them ever. I have also not really kept up with all the migration stuff so not sure how it applies to me. So the following questions before I install LC NA.

1. After installing NA and current libraries do I need to run migration since I don't use regions and don't plan to? I am scared to install Open LC NA and do the migration after ready about the blurry issues and other VAS problem after users have done so.

2. What files should I back up before installing Open LC NA in case I have the issues people have reported? Just the lclookup.bgl?

I guess I just want some piece of mind before I do the install of LC NA and libraries and make sure I have a way to restore to pre LC NA should I have some of the issues people have reported.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, you won't be able to successfully install the OpenLC NA until you have accomplished the migration routine.  Install the current OrbxLibs, which will in turn install the new FTX Central, which will allow you to run the migration routines.  Otherwise you cannot install any of the new sceneries that have come out or are due to come out.

Thanks for the reply but if your not sure, I'll wait for a support rep to chime in. Also curious about my second question regarding back ups and reverting back in case it causes problems.

Not sure about not being able to install NA first unless the installer won't work prior to migrating. I bought Sedona a few months ago and have yet to install it as well but since it uses the older library I can probably do it.

Im not really sure what the migration does if your not using regions.

Hi there,

the new "unified" landclass control file (lclookup.bgl), which no longer requires switching between Orbx regions, essentially breaks compatibility with our own products, meaning Global Base, openLC EU, all FTX Regions, as well as several of the airports. The "migration" makes the necessary changes to make these products work with the new control file.

OpenLC NA is already "migrated" but that also means it can only be used with the new version of lclookup. Running the migration before or after installing openLC makes no difference as long as it's completed before you start the sim again.

As mentioned the migration makes changes to most Orbx products and thus, at minimum, you'd need to back up the entire \ORBX directory, as well as \Scenery\World\texture (where Global Base resides).

Cheers, Holger  

Thanks Holger for the info.

So if I'm only using Global, Open LC EU and NA and some of the global airports but not Vector or any regions, there shouldn't be much to migrate, is this correct?

I've had Open LC downloaded for a few days now and have been very hesitant to install it and the new libraries after all the trouble I have read about it causing here and on Avsim as far as causing blurries, VAS issues and bad performance.

Maybe it would be a good idea to hold off doing any updates or installing Open LC NA and the new libraries for a while until all the issues are sorted?

I found out something interesting over the weekend.  I decided to re-install everything all over again, including P3D (upgraded to latest and greatest), but in doing the reinstall, I found that FTXC would function as it did before the migration introduction by ORBX.  It wasn't until I reinstalled OpenLC EU that I got the big window talking about migrating, to which I clicked on the X button, instead of continuing with the migration.  As I see it, if you don't install any OpenLC products, you can still switch regions the old way, but once an OpenLC product is installed, you MUST migrate, or at least that's how I see it, rendering any further usage of FTXC on hold.

Bump for more info.

I still haven't installed yet but want more clarification on how I can revert to premigration should the new Open LC NA and migration cause too many performance problems.

If I back up the entire scenery/world/texture,  \ORBX directory and lclookup.bgl as it is now then I could always just replace these files with the backups?

What about just disabling the OpenLC NA entries in the scenery.cfg? If that essentially turns it off would that restore lost performance and blurries? As mentioned, I own regions that I will never reinstall and I will never be buying regions so the feature of not having to switch anymore is not an issue for me.

I'll just be running Global, Global airports, some region airports without the regions and UTX for vector details and Open LC Eu should NA cause issues.

For those who work for FTX would I be better off waiting until it's further patched before installing? I've already bought so you have the money and haven't lost a sale or anything, just want to know if waiting would be better at this point.

Thanks I advance for the help. I just want to make sure that NA and migration won't cause performance issues that I can't revert out of.

I was in exactly the same situation as you when I purchased a few days back having been burnt with blurries and morphing etc...

I installed NA OLC on the old central and old libraries and when I flew it the were water tiles everywhere so I bit the bullet and downloaded ran everything migrated and can confirm that all previous issues are now solved, no blurries or texture problems

Regarding back up I have a 2tb HD and use a back up program to back up  fsx-se and C drive together and then reinstall them both if I have to.

Thats the only 100% method 

You should be doing full back ups anyway IMO and not just ORBX and 2TB HD are now very cheap

Thanks for the info Venturi.

I think I will wait for someone of the ORBX staff to chime in to my questions to resolve them before I make the jump and install and run the migration. I generally don't fear installing scenery packages but after all the messages I have ready about the migration and install of Open LC NA causing FPS, VAS, and lower performer issues, I'm sure you could understand why I am hesitant to run this process and install the package. I know that for many who fly simple GA aircraft that are generally light on perform be might not notice a difference but six I mainly fly performance hungry aircraft into large hubs I have to be mindful of what I add.

16 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I think you have been answered by Holger.

As you appear to have reservations, why not follow your own assessment and leave it for now?

Hi Nick, thanks for replying.

I was just waiting for more clarification on these two questions as well as a third and fourth question.

1. If I back up the entire scenery/world/texture,  \ORBX directory and lclookup.bgl as it is now then I could always just replace these files with the backups should I have issues?

2.What about just disabling the OpenLC NA entries in the scenery.cfg? If that essentially turns it off would that restore lost performance and blurries? 

3. If I disable the Open LC NA scenery entries will I still have the older autogen night lights and vector based autogen lights in the US and Europe.

4. Since I don't use regions will there be much migration? I guess I am a little confused what migrates if your not a region user and only run Global, Open Landclass products and some airports.

Thanks again for all the help so far. I just want to get a better understanding of what is getting moved, swapped sounds or changed before I proceed.

Archived