CAC8 Water Aerodrome Installer

I downloaded the new CAC8 Water Aerodrome scenery today but cannot get the installer to run to completion.  I am trying to install into my Prepar3D v3.3.5 sim but get only as far as the "Welcome" screen with a "Next" button at the bottom. Up to this point, the installer looks like all other Orbx installers.   However, before I can click on the "Next" button, the whole "Welcome" window disappears.  FTX Central 2 tells me I do not have the CAC8 Water Aerodrome installed.  Any suggestions? 

Hi Stan,

I wish I could help but I think I'll have to defer to Ed or someone else more knowledgeable. I'm guessing that you did the usual things; unzip to a separate folder, confirm the appropriate permissions, make sure any anti-virus software is not interfering, etc. You might try downloading again, saving to a different location. Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

I followed all the steps I usually follow when installing an Orbx file.  (I use Norton Internet Security & turned off my antivirius checks plus the SONOR option before running the installer exe file that was the only content inside in the zip file I downloaded).  The installer actually starts to run but then unilaterally vanishes after the first screen. 

Stan, I’ve seen this behavior myself unrelated to Orbx installers but my memory is rather foggy. The exe would start as in your case and then disappear. In those instances it appeared that something (NIS when I had it, or the new feature in Win 10 or ??) decided that the exe was a security risk often because it was a new and unknown exe. So in your case it may or may not be related to the installer per se.  In addition, my own experience with NIS was that it was getting harder and harder to completely disable its heuristic functions. Of course the cause could be something completely different.

15 hours ago, Stan V said:

I followed all the steps I usually follow when installing an Orbx file.  (I use Norton Internet Security & turned off my antivirius checks plus the SONOR option before running the installer exe file that was the only content inside in the zip file I downloaded).  The installer actually starts to run but then unilaterally vanishes after the first screen. 

The installer is the only content inside the zip file but have you first unzipped the download before running the installer?  Running the installer from inside the zipped file doesn't normally work.

I typically do NOT pre extract the executable from a zip installer (although I have often seen advise to do so here) but in my defense, I have rarely encountered problems with the subsequent install - and that is after many previous successful Orbx installs using zip files.  Nonetheless, given the mysterious nature of this particular install attempt, I did in fact try the tactic to extract the lone exe file to my Prepare3D disk (G:) before running it.  I had the same result, which is to say a disappearing install attempt.

One aspect is still eluding me.  It was suggested that I make sure I am running as administrator.  (I am the only user running on a Win 7-64 system and my user credential identifies me as "Administrator")  My difficulty is that I am not exactly certain how to do that independently.  In the past, I have seen the option displayed as a choice after right clicking on an exe file when I go to run it but this time the choice is not given to me.

Stan V

Stan, running  the exe as an administrator is always a good bet. Here's another way to do it: right click on the exe file and choose Properties. Select the Compatibility tab. Under Settings, check 'Run this program as an administrator'.  See if that works. (Although you are the Administrator, unless you choose to do so, the standard behavior  is that programs are run using user credentials.)

42 minutes ago, Stan V said:

I typically do NOT pre extract the executable from a zip installer (although I have often seen advise to do so here) but in my defense, I have rarely encountered problems with the subsequent install - and that is after many previous successful Orbx installs using zip files.  Nonetheless, given the mysterious nature of this particular install attempt, I did in fact try the tactic to extract the lone exe file to my Prepare3D disk (G:) before running it.  I had the same result, which is to say a disappearing install attempt.

One aspect is still eluding me.  It was suggested that I make sure I am running as administrator.  (I am the only user running on a Win 7-64 system and my user credential identifies me as "Administrator")  My difficulty is that I am not exactly certain how to do that independently.  In the past, I have seen the option displayed as a choice after right clicking on an exe file when I go to run it but this time the choice is not given to me.

Stan V

Kind of a dealer's choice situation. 

Unzip the file as directed by ORBX prior to running the installer or run it from inside the zip file and have unsuccessful results as in this case.

Because you did try the installer both ways you may have gotten a bad download of the file.  Did you try re-downloading the file a second time?

Running as 1) administrator on 2) a pre-extracted installer exe file with 3)  Norton virus check turned off does not change the result - it is still a disappearing act.   Interestingly enough, the disappearance seems time based - if I react to the installer choices fast enough, I can see more installer options.  For example, I finally did manage to display the choice screen to select the sim I wanted to use (FSX or Prepar3D) but have not yet been able to react fast enough to actually click on an answer. 

Stan V 

Can you specifically exclude the installer from the attention of your anti virus software?

That is the most likely cause of the problem which does seem to be unique to your PC.

I had a similar problem with the OzX Grand Canyon downloader which just disappeared

as you describe.

Switching Defender live scanning off made no difference.

Specifically excluding the file from Windows Defender allowed the download to proceed

as normal

Before I get pushed to the back of the question queue, I have a question for the guru's.  I'm wondering if by any chance I'm getting hit with the dynamics of a normal install, namely, is the amount of required free C-disk space (not RAM) a dynamic amount during a normal install?  Even though I'm trying to install the new file to my G-disk, my C-disk (where I typically keep my system files) has a marginal amount of free space and it occurs to me that maybe my system needs to allocate more on a temporary basis in order to complete the install...???   

14 hours ago, Ken Williams said:

Hey Guys, i'm tying to install as well get a message, unable to locate the scenery file. unable to locate the scenery file  in a pop up box

im using Stream fsx ?

Hi Ken,

On the surface of it, this does not sound like a problem with the installer per se, however it could be one of those sneaky registry issues related to FSX SE. Perhaps Nick can advise.  You do have PNW installed, right?

Yes, if you have a very small amount of free space on your C drive and your Windows temp file is on the C drive,

this might be it.

The installer uses the Windows temp file to work in when installing to the destination drive, even if different as in this case.

It is a relatively tiny installation compared to a region or Global product, how much free space is there?

It is not difficult to move the Windows temp files, here is one of many links and it might be worth a try moving them

to a drive with more space.

@Ken please start a fresh topic as your problem is unrelated to the subject of this one

9 minutes ago, Stan V said:

Before I get pushed to the back of the question queue, I have a question for the guru's.  I'm wondering if by any chance I'm getting hit with the dynamics of a normal install, namely, is the amount of required free C-disk space (not RAM) a dynamic amount during a normal install?  Even though I'm trying to install the new file to my G-disk, my C-disk (where I typically keep my system files) has a marginal amount of free space and it occurs to me that maybe my system needs to allocate more on a temporary basis in order to complete the install...???   

Stan

Hi Stan,

It's my understanding that you do not have a choice of location when installing Orbx addons;  they all go in an Orbx folder within the sim directory. You do have a choice of where you install the sim however. (In the case of CAC8, the 2 AI vessels are installed in the SimObjects\Boats folder, and the effects for are placed in the Effects folder. )  Trying to install somewhere else just won't work.

And in order any installer to work, there must be adequate free space on the destination drive.  How much free space do you have on the intended drive?

Larry, I am trying to install to my Prepar3D drive which has 1.4 TB of free space which should be plenty for your files. BTW, this is where I also have my P3D-v3 Orbx directory.   Perhaps you misunderstood my question which pertained to how Windows 7 utilizes disk space DURING the install process itself.  Based on Nick's response above, it sounds like there is in fact a dynamic allocation of new disk space on the SYSTEM drive (for me, it is C:) which is then released after the install takes place.  My system drive (C:) has only 42.5 MB of free space when I start the installation - a considerably smaller amount.  If that was not enough for what was needed for the install, I am guessing it might cause early termination of the installer which is the symptom I am seeing.  However, there are no system messages telling me this - just a disappearing installer execution process.

Hi Stan,

Nick knows way more than I do about this sort of thing but only  42 mb free space sounds highly suspicious. I'd have to check the exact number but uncompressed, the CAC8 files are well over 100 mb and that unzipping has to be done somewhere. Maybe you could review Nick's notes above regarding temp directories. I might add that as a general matter,  only 42 mb free space on your C drive seems to be cutting it rather thin.

Sorry I'm not of more help,

2 hours ago, Stan V said:

Larry, I am trying to install to my Prepar3D drive which has 1.4 TB of free space which should be plenty for your files. BTW, this is where I also have my P3D-v3 Orbx directory.   Perhaps you misunderstood my question which pertained to how Windows 7 utilizes disk space DURING the install process itself.  Based on Nick's response above, it sounds like there is in fact a dynamic allocation of new disk space on the SYSTEM drive (for me, it is C:) which is then released after the install takes place.  My system drive (C:) has only 42.5 MB of free space when I start the installation - a considerably smaller amount.  If that was not enough for what was needed for the install, I am guessing it might cause early termination of the installer which is the symptom I am seeing.  However, there are no system messages telling me this - just a disappearing installer execution process.

Hi, Stan.  I'd say it's time to get a bigger C: drive.  42 mb isn't gonna hack it.

I deserve all the scorn you may wish to throw.  Consider this issue resolved.  Nick was right on the money with his advice.  I moved my User Temp/Tmp files over to my G-disk which has 1.4 TB of free space and my installs went right through as desired - including Larry's CAC8 Water Aerodrome scenery.  Thank you all who contributed other ideas.

Stan V

Archived